What's new

Help! :)

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, these forums are awesome! So many helpful posts that helped me make my purchase decisions.

Now, I bought a Murker razor set and a variety pack of razors. I understand preference to razors is personal, but any help on which brands to start with would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• E5BCC9C6-CF70-4F94-96B9-A0CB6F509771.jpeg
    E5BCC9C6-CF70-4F94-96B9-A0CB6F509771.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
I would recommend you start with the Gillette Silver Blue and then use the 7 O'Clocks. The Feathers are the most aggressive blades so I would save them until you are confident in your technique. I personally don't use the other blades because I find other blades perform better for me.

I would recommend you start with the Gillette Silver Blue and then use the 7 O'Clocks. The Feathers are the most aggressive blades so I would save them until you are confident in your technique. I personally don't use the other blades because I find other blades perform better for me.

Welcome!

I second Mat's recommendation.

Welcome to B&B! Sticking with the same razor and blade type for the first few weeks will help you to develop your technique. When you begin to feel comfortable with the process you can start experimenting with different things to see what works best for you. :001_smile

Welcome aboard! Nice kit. I suggest you read through the wiki, then watch a few videos.

In terms of blades, my personal preference would be to start with one of your three Gillette options. I would save the Feathers for last because IMO these are simply too sharp and unforgiving.

Welcome to B&B! I’d recommend the Lord blades for a quality and less aggressive shave. Use them for more than a few shaves to get a good feel for how you like the blades.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Blades are very individual, very subjective, so you have to try some out to get your bearings.

Those Gillette Greens (if they're Russian made) are one of my favorite blades (for great smoothness and ample sharpness), but you might find them terrible with your razor and your beard and skin.

Of the blades you have I'd start with the Gillettes and hold the (excellent and very sharp) Feathers for down the road.

Also, check out Try a Blade for a place to pick the exact blade selection you want and avoid blades someone is trying to get rid of.

Welcome to B&B.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I would just pick any of those. But like others...if you pick one...stick with that one until you don't have anymore. Finish the tuck, you will thank us in the long run. I wouldn't start with Feathers as they are super sharp and if you don't pay attention...they will take your cheek off. You can start with the Derby or Treet blades, but you will understand that when you move on, the others are better.

Oh...and Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B. You have had some good advice so far. Start with the 7 O'Clocks and GSB then any of the others. Keep with one blade type for a few shaves but save one/two in the pack to return to later. As your technique evolves your views may change. A good lather is very important so don't underestimate that factor. You have plenty of blades to work up to a good technique but read the Shave Wiki (link at top) for good technique.

I've used many of those blades you have. Personally, I found Derbys to be the weakest blade of the lot. Many people like them; they are pretty mild. For me, the Feathers are the sharpest, so you may want to save those for last. The GSB (Gillette Silver Blues) are good blades for me, though I don't like the excess wax on them. I'd start with the GSBs. I always use all five blades in a tuck before judging them; this allows me time to "dial them in". You really can't go wrong with most of those, and certainly there is always a personal preference. The ones I didn't mention you could try in any particular order, IMO. Enjoy! :001_smile

Top Bottom