What's new

Aggressive vs. mild razor; A newbie's experience

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B!

It's possible the 41 is just a better fit for your beard. It's also possible you're using the wrong angle for the 89. Adding more pressure is exactly the wrong adjustment to make. Try changing the razor angle.

But whatever works well for you is good. No rules about which razor to use.

The current iteration of the R41 makes it more comfortable compared to the older ones - I have read as I only have the newest R41 version. Whatever make it is - the R41 is a great and effective razor.

Enjoy!

Guido.

Hey Guido,

I just realized I've actually got the r 103 with the r41 head. Any idea whether this is likely to be a newer or older style r41 head?
(There's a, "5," under the top plate)

image.jpg

[muhle r 103 open comb razor with faux tortoise shell handle in front of a grey box]

When did you get it? We think the last change was in 2022 (unofficial). Before that 2013 and 2011 (The Beast) and I think there’s also a 2009 version. Prior to that the R41 was actually a Fatip Piccolo.

There are a couple of threads on that subject. Such as this one.

Cheers,

Guido

Welcome to B&B!

It's possible the 41 is just a better fit for your beard. It's also possible you're using the wrong angle for the 89. Adding more pressure is exactly the wrong adjustment to make. Try changing the razor angle.

But whatever works well for you is good. No rules about which razor to use.

I actually put the grande handle on the 41 head a couple if days ago, abd found it to be a more difficult shave with less feedback than it had been with the resin handle.

I'll try the r89 head again soon, this time with the resin handle, paying more attention to my angle, and see if that doesn't mitigate the issues I experienced.

When did you get it? We think the last change was in 2022 (unofficial). Before that 2013 and 2011 (The Beast) and I think there’s also a 2009 version. Prior to that the R41 was actually a Fatip Piccolo.

There are a couple of threads on that subject. Such as this one.

Cheers,

Guido
Got it a few weeks ago used on Facebook Marketplace. So, if we can't tell from the razor or the box, the original date of purchase might have to remaina mystery.

I'll check out that link now though!

I do not have experience with either of the razors you are using, but I feel qualified to respond since I am the same height and weight as you.🤣

First, I regularly DE or SE shave several days of growth without issue, for whatever that is worth. I have a dense beard and coarse hair, making my choice of razor unique to my needs. It sounds like you may be in a similar situation.

Whenever I have used a mild razor, with my most recent experience an Above the Tie S1 Slant or my Gillette Fatboy adjustable on a mild setting, I have a harder time getting a close shave. In my experience, the mild razors are very angle-dependent. On parts of my face like my cheeks, it is easy to get the right angle and get a close shave, but under my nose, around my chin, and on my neck it is harder to create the proper angle, and my shave isn't very close. Then, I go over those areas, and irritation, nicks, and weepers follow. The only exception to this I've found is my single-edge Above the Tie X1 Slant. However, an artisan club razor is not a fair comparison with a double-edge safety razor for this discussion.

I like blade feel, efficiency, and more aggressive razors, and when using razors of this type, I can get a close shave in a single pass without any knicks, cuts, or irritation. I can even buff problem areas without issue. For me, it comes down to blade feel. With a mild razor, I tend to apply pressure, which is the opposite of what is required. But, even without pressure and adjusting the angle, it is far more difficult for me to get good results with mild razors.

Whether you can figure out the mild razor is a personal journey. I have used enough razors that I love and am excited to shave with that I prefer to move on from something that doesn't work. While I may be able to fiddle around to achieve an acceptable shave, I tend to be efficient in my routine, and I grow impatient with razors that don't give me the results I expect right away. After more than a decade of wet shaving, I know it isn't a technique or angle issue, as I am more than capable of making on-the-fly adjustments and figuring out when a particular razor is working best.

Good luck figuring it all out, and don't be afraid to accept that a particular razor isn't your cup of tea!

Hey Guido,

I just realized I've actually got the r 103 with the r41 head. Any idea whether this is likely to be a newer or older style r41 head?
(There's a, "5," under the top plate)

View attachment 1781136
[muhle r 103 open comb razor with faux tortoise shell handle in front of a grey box]
I have this among 4; but interestingly this light handle doesn't work for me...... I prefer the "Grande" version of the handle.....
Should be a new head in it.
Keep enjoying your shaves.
And kudos on the Trader Joes......I love than thing......the best

As your technique improves, you'll probably be able to make better use of the DE89 if you care to. There's a myth that should you start with a mild razor and we at Blackland definitely don't buy into this. Mild razors are more difficult to get close shaves with and harder to get feedback from the blade. Reducing irritation is all about reducing the time spent with the blade on your skin so, as you've discovered, a more efficient razor can be helpful for irritation. For those reasons, we think new users should use a razor on the efficient end of the spectrum and I'm happy to hear that you've reached the same conclusion!
Out of curiosity as a newbie, what do you recommend? I've currently got the Merkur 34C but was contemplating something adjustable to see if I can get closer...

Out of curiosity as a newbie, what do you recommend? I've currently got the Merkur 34C but was contemplating something adjustable to see if I can get closer...

It depends. Are you getting pretty good results with the 34c? If not, work on technique first before you start exploring.

An adjustable may not guarantee that you’ll shave closer. The max setting on some adjustables isn’t much higher than your 34c. So if you want an adjustable, be sure to choose one where the upper ranges are sufficiently efficient. A Rockwell 6S could be a good option here. Or you can try out a more efficient fixed razor and skip the adjustable idea. One of the higher gap Gamechangers from Razorock could a good choice. Or an R41 might be worth trying if you’re confident in your desire for more efficiency and blade feel.

I'm also new to wet shaving. I started off with the Leaf Twig, but then I purchased the Mühle Rocca. It's much more aggressive. I was surprised to learn that I preferred the feel of the Rocca. It took a few shaves to get used to the different style, but it shaves me cleaner in less passes and not much irritation.

Neither razor really gave me irritation, but I love the design, heft, and efficiency of the Rocca.

Also, I noticed that the shaving cream I chose significantly increased my comfort while shaving. I started with the Leaf shaving soap. It's a little thin and doesn't have much slickness on the skin. I bought some Taylor of Old Bond Street and it was a game changer. The razor glides over my skin with that cream. I recommend trying something like that. It gave me great results.

I think your focus is too much on how aggressive or mild a razor is. Just pick the razor you like best. What matters far more in my opinion, is blade choice. A really sharp and smooth blade will work in any razor on (almost) any face in my opinion. Think Feather and BIC.

It depends. Are you getting pretty good results with the 34c? If not, work on technique first before you start exploring.

An adjustable may not guarantee that you’ll shave closer. The max setting on some adjustables isn’t much higher than your 34c. So if you want an adjustable, be sure to choose one where the upper ranges are sufficiently efficient. A Rockwell 6S could be a good option here. Or you can try out a more efficient fixed razor and skip the adjustable idea. One of the higher gap Gamechangers from Razorock could a good choice. Or an R41 might be worth trying if you’re confident in your desire for more efficiency and blade feel.
I was getting okay results. Most days they were acceptable but never particularly closely shaven. Based off your recommendation I bought an R41, paired with the Muhle blade that came with it and the first shave was unbelievably close! Best shave I've ever had. Last night's shave (48hrs later) was also unbelievable, this time for its burn. Still unbelievably close, but I'm going to give the face a break for a couple of days. I might try the Muhle blade again, but I'm searching to see any reviews or feedback on it and it seems scarce...

Anyway, thanks - any thoughts on blades to pair the R41 with (milder ones or aggressive ones?)

Anyway, thanks - any thoughts on blades to pair the R41 with (milder ones or aggressive ones?)
The R41 works really well (for me that is) with Feather, Dorco Titan, KCG and also Dorco ST300.

But more than anything you have to mind the angle with the R41. Too steep (again for me) and it becomes a scraper. And I actually like shaving steeper. Lately however I noticed I am more in neutral or shallow territory.

The Rocca is similar in effectiveness but smoother in shave.

The R41 works really well (for me that is) with Feather, Dorco Titan, KCG and also Dorco ST300.

But more than anything you have to mind the angle with the R41. Too steep (again for me) and it becomes a scraper. And I actually like shaving steeper. Lately however I noticed I am more in neutral or shallow territory.

The Rocca is similar in effectiveness but smoother in shave.
Thanks for the tip - perhaps I was a bit steeper than normal. I have the ST300s, perhaps I'll give them a go before the Feather...

Top Bottom