What's new

Help w stone id

Good day to all!

I recently acquired an antique honing stone online, and would like to ask for your help in identification.

It came from France, and was said to be part of a collection of old tools of a barber. When lapped, it was producing a bright ash grey, milk like slurry. Judging by the smell of it, it was most probably used with oils rather than water. Attaching pics both in dry and wet state.

Would it be a good idea to try it as a finishing stone after a N8k? Or should this be rather used as a base for slurry stones? Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Unknown_stone_01.jpg
Unknown_stone_03.jpg

Looks like a turkey stone to my eye. The couple I've used are probably a bit under. JIS 8k, but every natural stone is different. Can't hurt to try. If N8k is the Norton 8k, then that stone has a good chance of being finer.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
@captaincaed @David Do you have any recommendation regarding the usage of such stone? E.g. water or oil, with or without slurry? Cheers!
I use mine primarily on knives and tools and exclusively with oil. There is a thread about them somewhere here you should read up on. I will see if I can find and link it for you.

Very, very nice turkey stone. Some can be pretty fine but I don't think a lot of them can finish, but they can be great pre finishers with a light touch and lots of oil.

Top Bottom