What's new

Help to restore reknot Every Ready 675 Brush

I need some help on the next step of restoring this handle. It is an Ever-Ready 675 clear and black handle. I got the old knot out as you can see now I need to finish prepping it for the new knot. Before I removed the knot the black was in perfect shape now it looks like some of the black has come off.
What is the black inside the handle is it just painted?
What else do I need to do?

I would touch up the inside with some Black enamel then use a clear two part epoxy to secure the knot easy on glue though you don't excess squeezing out on to the hairs I put just enough to coat the base of the knot and sides to get no voids around the base of the knot. I use 30 min. set time epoxy it gives you a little more time to get things just right. - Blade Boy

I would touch up the inside with some Black enamel then use a clear two part epoxy to secure the knot easy on glue though you don't excess squeezing out on to the hairs I put just enough to coat the base of the knot and sides to get no voids around the base of the knot. I use 30 min. set time epoxy it gives you a little more time to get things just right. - Blade Boy

Yep. That's what I would do as well.

No I wouldn't it might look worse not better I think if you just recoat the scratches it should blend pretty good if try removing the old paint it might do more harm than good besides it probably adhered pretty well just be sure to let the paint dry fully before installing the knot. I put a rubber band around the knot when I set it to make it easily to handle and you can put tape around the base of the knot just above the insertion level to be sure any excess epoxy doesn't get in the hairs if any does squeeze out I wipe it away with a cotton swab. twist it back and forth a few times to distribute the adhesive evenly then when you have it set to your liking carefully peel the tape and remove the rubber band and then just let it set up over night it will be ready to use the next day. - Blade Boy

I wouldn't, you will be able to see what it will look like before you put the knot in. It like coating the back of a mirror, if it looks good from the outside through the clear plastic who cares what the inside looks like,

also I would do any polishing and cleaning to the exterior of the handle prior to setting the knot it's just easier that way.

It is easier. I found that using one of those four sided nail polish file things work well. I only really use the buff, polish, and shine sides. The file sides too rough most of the time.

Nice brush.It looks like you may have scratched through the paint into the clear. If so it'll have to be sanded out through 2000 grit.Next I would fill the bore cavity with hot glue, find the center, tap it and chuck it in a drill press.Sand the outside through 2000 grit, scratch remover polish,then non abrasive polish.Will be as clear as glass so be sure to sand the bore opening good.Next remove the glue(forstner bit by hand works slick),repaint the inside and then your ready for the knot.

I love those lucites. You have a typical problem when restoring those and I wouldn't recommend painting in the scratches and nicks. They usually don't look very good unless they are taken down to bare lucite and repainted all at once.

Here is a relevant thread on this:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153777

I have had success using a rotary file in a drill press to auger out the entire knot hole to pure plastic and then sanding it a bit with 220 waterproof. A lot of these handles have stress cracked a bit under the original paint anyway, so you can clean that up and get a nice smooth virgin surface to paint before gluing your knot in. Or you can try touching up the spots and see if it looks good, you can always chase the hole if it doesn't meet your expectations.

I bought my rotary file at Western Auto near the welding gear section. They sell a variety, I got the flat bottomed one that looks like a straight sided barrel. Chucked it in the drill press and hand fed the handle to it. I've used this to clean holes in other handle materials, but it really shines in lucite. It cuts slowly so you can control the amount of material it takes off and it leaves a nice flat surface that can be cleaned up with just a little sanding.

Edited to add: I have an identical handle in my pile of unfinished projects and I am in the same stage. Old brush removed and nicked the paint and need to take it down to basics and repaint. Selecting the new knot can be a challenge since you can't adjust the loft the way you can in a two piece catalin handle. Post pictures of your final result for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom