What's new

Help offered for Filarmonica straight razors

Kind Sir here is one I recently acquired, not here yet as it's coming from Sweden but it was sold to me as NOS, I was given some info from Alfredo but if you have more to offer it would be greatly appreciated

$s-l1600-2.jpg$s-l1600-3.jpg$s-l1600-4.jpg$s-l1600.jpg

Well, it is a very nice one, of the second period 1967-1979 probably towards the end, clearly for export. Novodur is the professional range, some put them as equal and even better than barbas duras. The scales are original, with the logo with golden ink instead of a metal lyre found on former models. You can see the seal is relatively small compared to the blade, even for a 13 size razor.

Well, it is a very nice one, of the second period 1967-1979 probably towards the end, clearly for export. Novodur is the professional range, some put them as equal and even better than barbas duras. The scales are original, with the logo with golden ink instead of a metal lyre found on former models. You can see the seal is relatively small compared to the blade, even for a 13 size razor.

Thank you for the info, it was a toss up on getting that one or this one but I liked the gold wash on the one I chose better

$s-l1600.jpg

What makes the quality of the blade different between DTs, EPBD, and Novodur?

I know some of my non JMP 14s are extra hollow or bellied, but that's a grind difference, maybe implicit to steel characteristics, but if the 14 blades are more or less herkenrath based, what's the differentiation of models?

BTW, my novodur has a unique tang in that it's very angular compared to the sloping hump of others.. Have you seen this on others that you have example images of? Reminds me of some of the Fenny tally ho's

proxy.php

Can you see what I am talking about?

There is much mistery about it, according to a former worker of the brand all the steel was equal, but no info abour when did he work in filarmonica (it might have been towards the end). The difference between DT/Medallón Taurino and EPBD and Novodur is the heat treatment, the last have harder steels for professional usage and tought beards.

I forgot to mention that most of these razors were further thinned out by the retailer (vaciado) to make them easier to maintain. The razors you are getting in the US lack this treatment usually.

What makes the quality of the blade different between DTs, EPBD, and Novodur?

I know some of my non JMP 14s are extra hollow or bellied, but that's a grind difference, maybe implicit to steel characteristics, but if the 14 blades are more or less herkenrath based, what's the differentiation of models?

Yes, I've seen such a tang, I thing they are common in Filarmonica. I'll try to find some which are like it. I don't know why they were made that way.

As promised, some razors from my collection, first a Doble Temple not very old but not very new either. Full 8/8, a very nice shaver.$IMG_20151022_085520.jpg

I have Some Filarmonica's , two are of the older type. The Especial with the large tall 14 has dark scales possible Bakelite.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446021666.846538.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446021682.999210.jpg

$IMG_20151027_092218.jpg
And the ultra rare Tridur. Notice the extra hollowing by the seller of the razor (found often on Spanish straights). This one is the oldest I've seen.

Top Bottom