What's new

Help offered for Filarmonica straight razors

Hello everybody!

I'm a straight razor user from Spain, and have some filarmonica straight razors (at least 12 that I can recall now), here it is relatively easy getting info on them. Do you have any Filli that you want more info about (model, range, relative age, etc)? If so post some pictures and I'll do my best to help you know something more about it.

I would love to know the history of this one...I have literally chased this particular razor around the nation twice....because the USPS lost it the first time it was shipped to me. It is now in transit to me yet again, and pending it doesn't get lost....I would love to know more about it!
Thanks,
Ted
$fili13.jpg

Hello everybody!

I'm a straight razor user from Spain, and have some filarmonica straight razors (at least 12 that I can recall now), here it is relatively easy getting info on them. Do you have any Filli that you want more info about (model, range, relative age, etc)? If so post some pictures and I'll do my best to help you know something more about it.

What an incredibly kind offer!

Hello everybody!

Can you post yours and tell us about them? I have a bunch too.

There is a decent thread here talking about JMP generations, maybe someone can find that and you can elaborate.

You know anything special about Palmeras? And vollmer?

Can you post yours and tell us about them? I have a bunch too.

There is a decent thread here talking about JMP generations, maybe someone can find that and you can elaborate.

You know anything special about Palmeras? And vollmer?

+1 We can always use more pictures of Filis!

Hi denvernoob,

That razor is from late period of JMP 1967-1979, probably close to 1979 (still in the good quality period), model is doble temple which was the non professional range, and it was made for export (size 13). Probably in the back it has “hecho en España – Made in Spain”, or just the latter.

Hi denvernoob,

That razor is from late period of JMP 1967-1979, probably close to 1979 (still in the good quality period), model is doble temple which was the non professional range, and it was made for export (size 13). Probably in the back it has “hecho en España – Made in Spain”, or just the latter.

What are the indicators you used?

Hi denvernoob,

Thank you for the information! I am familiar with DT models, I just haven't typically seen that scale color combination (I see that style/color combo on lots of their similar period smaller trimmer models). Typically on the 13 I have seen the black/green print or turquoise scales.

Great information and I very much appreciate you being such a wonderful resource.

-Ted

The indicators used are the seals on the tang, JMP name, straight letters, size 13; the size of the seal (former ones were larger) and the printing in the scales which is late in filarmonia times with the lyre and "filarmonica" engraved in the plastic. It is not that unusual (not usual either) having blades fitted on non contemporary scales.

okay, here was the post here @ B&B http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-what-makes-it-so-good!?p=6046965#post6046965

global_dev said:
Are 13s and 14s the same metal if the herkenrath postulation is correct?

wrl said:
Yes, up until ~1979, at least.

Ok, the number of generations is arguable. I'll call it four distinct periods with caveats. We can see three in this thread. The first point to realize is that there are only two basic Filarmónica models -- the Especial (not initially 'Para Barbas Duras') & Doble Temple. As far as we can tell, all others are variations of the two original models. What is the difference between the two? I could go on and on about miniscule grind differences, profiles, and blade weights, but my personal suspicion is that JMP was just marketing more (Especial) & less (Doble Temple) decorated versions of the same razor.

The second point is that it is not my wish to offend anyone's sensibilities or insult their razors with my descriptions. If you like your razor, then enjoy it in good health...these are just my thoughts.

Third, I won't cover every variation of every marking, scale, box, gold seal, and re-branding lest I be at this all night.

And finally, these are my observations based on (mostly) personal experience as well as discussions with others over the years. Although Filarmónica isn't my very favorite, I like old French and Spanish razors, so I geek out on this kind of gouge. I don't purport my findings to be absolutes. Please do find concrete information to challenge my assertions.

1. First Generation: Jose Monserrat Pou's initial offerings - ~1915 - 1967.

• Pre-1950 versions will NOT have "FABRICACION ESPAÑOLA / MADE IN SPAIN" stamped on the rear of the tang

• Three main iterations of the "Especial" model (in order; transitional anomalies exist)
    • Tang shows curved Jose Monserrat Pou with stylized eagle (IMPERIAL brand), tall & vertical "14"
    • Tang shows IMPERIAL brand, straight Jose Monserrat Pou, short & horizontal "14" with lyre
    • Tang returns to curved Jose Monserrat Pou & tall/vertical "14", but with "FILARMONICA"
      • These would also have the 'musical' Especial/Filarmonica gold seal on the blade face
      • New white box with "Especial Para Barbas Duras" - the original EPBD

• The original "Doble Temple"
    • Tang similar to Especial with curved Jose Monserrat Pou, tall & vertical "14", and "FILARMONICA"
    • A different gold seal on the face, most notable attribute being the "JMP" initials in the center
      • Collectors will refer to this as a "JMP signature blade", the initials were later replaced by the lyre
      • See my earlier image for a pristine example; these are more rare and more highly valued by some
      • The rest of the gold seal might have been generic; I've found a Carl Friedrich Ern Crown & Shield with the same seal design

• The "Medallon Taurino" limited edition, bullfighting series was introduced
    • They're just Doble Temple 13s with six bullfighting themes on the face
    • Banderillas, Capote, Estocada, Cogida, Muleta, and Rejoneo
    • Three total iterations found across three generations of Filarmonica (anyone up to collect all 18?)
  • The "Sub Cero" was a cryo-treated Doble Temple. Tang stamp conventions apply. It stuck around into the next generations.

2. Second Generation: I call it the "Filarmonica Aesthetic Period" (FAP...fapfapfapfapfap...) - 1967-1979.

• The company seems to have decided that pretty makes profit, and thus updated their look.
    • New scales (a few versions), gold seals, and tang stamps mark this era.
    • Tang stamps settled into a uniform style with small horizontal number, lyre, JMP, model, and Filarmonica
  • The Especial blossomed into the more ornate Especial Para Barbas Duras with laser etching and tang grommet.
  • The Doble Temple continued as the brand's steadfast workhorse, steady as she goes.
  • Four more models appeared
    • TRIDUR Especial Para Barbas Duras - Trivalent chromium coating for less corrosion. It's harder to hone until the outer coating is removed. Name is on the face, otherwise identical to the EPBD.
    • Novodur Para Profesionales - not much known, though the marketing goal is clear. Notable are the embossed scales from the EPBD, third pin in the scales, model on the tang, and gold seal similar to Sub Cero
    • Especial Para Corte de Pelo - narrow EPBDs made for hair cutting with attachment. "Corte Cabello" on the face.
    • INOX / INOXIDABLE - stainless steel Doble Temple. I don't like stainless, so not much to say there. Most were 3rd gen and don't bear JMP's name.

3. Third generation: Jose Monserrat Pou passed away sometime in the late '70s - early '80s. His son took over for a brief period, apparently continuing to sell out the old stock of materials. This is a murky period which I avoid. Straight razors were banned from Spanish barbershops in 1985 (Hepatitis & HIV?) and safety/cartridge razors had taken over worldwide, so the diminished demand (along with JMP's absence) had a direct affect on production. Many people have declared success with these razors, but they are considered hit or miss by collectors.

• Key identifier is JMP's name having disappeared from the blades altogether
  • These are the razors you see in black "Sello Oro" boxes
  • Quality control was on the fritz with blade faces not matching tang stamps and other issues (lots of these on ebay from Japan)

4. Fourth generation: JMP's son died shortly after his father, then the daughter took over. The company closed a few years later in 1990.

• Very hard, brittle steel sourced from Pakistan - takes an edge, but falls apart sooner than expected
  • No tang marks, only perfunctory "FILARMONICA -DOBLE TEMPLE-" etched on the face
  • Some have Sello Oro packaging or just plastic sleeves
  • Simply avoid these unless you're a collector

The first gen blades are considered by some to be the highest quality Filarmónica produced. I believe this is partially a matter of nostalgia, because when examining the first two generations historically & practically (on hones and face), there doesn't seem to be a difference between them with regard to steel and grinding. There is no reason that the earliest third gen razors shouldn't perform as well as previous generation blades, but any razor lacking Jose Monserrat Pou's name is a gamble. For those of you who got the good ones, congratulations! But caveat emptor to anyone on the hunt for a new Filarmónica.

here are a sample of my filarmonica's that i could locate in the house.. i think there are 2-4 i couldn't find right now.. i've never tried to date or ID the generation, nor thought to check anything out previously.. so this is a first for me..

none have any stamps on the back ( i do have other 14 style blade with FABRICACION ESPAÑOLA / MADE IN SPAIN on back, but no stamp on front, a completely un-stamped 14 style razro and bunch of non-JMP/Filarmonica stamped stuff like ramon gonzalez vaciador/imperial, but not talking my stash of 14s from other known makers). i know the filarmonica scales get a bad rap usuallu, but 2 or 3 are pretty nice, mirrors some of the palmera nice scales, with decent wedges, not undersized wedges or scales...

14 Medallion Taurino Cogida JMP curve only

1st gen? the scales are awesome, seriously... maybe cheesey, but i like 'em

proxy.php

14 Sub Cero JMP Filarmonica straight, this is the only filarmonica i have with a sideways 14

2nd gen? the scales are terrible, seriously... look cool. but not right size or width..

proxy.php

14 style Novodur Filarmonica JMP straight

2nd gen? rescaled

proxy.php

14 Medallion Taurino Rejoneo JMP curved

1st gen? the scales are again awesome, seriously...

proxy.php

14 Especial JMP Filarmonica curved (big 14)

1st gen? strange scales, but original but on the better side

proxy.php

14 Especial JMP Filarmonica curved (regular 14) by regular i mean the 14, not the width

1st gen? rescaled

proxy.php

Fantastic information. My one and only Fili is a pre 1950. I had only been able to pin it down to pre 67 before this thread. Thank you gentlemen!

Hi Global_deb, first, did you get the filarmonica subcero from ebay? was it shipped from Spain?

Very nice collection, they all look quite old except the novodur which was rescaled and it is hard to guess without watching the back of the tang. Don’t you have the original scales?

The medallon taurino are very likely from the first generation, they have the bailaora scales which are very sought after. The novodur is one of the first made as the seal is very big with respect to the blade (in fact maybe that razor was sold by me on the bay), a very nice piece, most are newer and the seals much smaller.

The filarmonica especial must be very good shavers, and are very old too, clearly first gen. The larger one was rescaled too. If I were to choose, I’d get the novodur and the larger filarmonica especial as the nicest.

"The novodur is one of the first made as the seal is very big with respect to the blade (in fact maybe that razor was sold by me on the bay), a very nice piece, most are newer and the seals much smaller." I meant the subcero, not the novodur.

Awesome info! NOw if you could just help me locate some without having to cut off some limbs to pay for them that would be fantastic! I actually only have 1 Double Temple 14 at the moment. Would love to get one with the flamenco dancer on the scales.

The subcero wasn't from Spain iirc. But it's been a while.. But I think my memory is good to remember it came from in the U.S. None have a stamp on the back of the tang as I mentioned. I noticed another recent thread about novodur a with the stamps, and I'm pretty sure mine is blank.

I don't have the scales for the novodur. It came to me rescaled in that paua shell scale.

Hi Global_deb, first, did you get the filarmonica subcero from ebay? was it shipped from Spain?

Very nice collection, they all look quite old except the novodur which was rescaled and it is hard to guess without watching the back of the tang. Don’t you have the original scales?

The medallon taurino are very likely from the first generation, they have the bailaora scales which are very sought after. The novodur is one of the first made as the seal is very big with respect to the blade (in fact maybe that razor was sold by me on the bay), a very nice piece, most are newer and the seals much smaller.

The filarmonica especial must be very good shavers, and are very old too, clearly first gen. The larger one was rescaled too. If I were to choose, I’d get the novodur and the larger filarmonica especial as the nicest.

Scag315, the price depends on what you are looking for. For example, the double temple with bailaora would be a bad option if you want to get it at a reasonable price. The same for barbas duras which are in the stratosphere price wise. Medallon taurino are doble temple with different seals, the steel is the same but they cost way more. Do you want them for collecting or for shaving? (In the first case I won't be of much help). What is your top budget?

Global_deb, OK I must have made a mistake then, but it is not a usual razor being that old an with the scales in that condition. Just for curiosity, hoe does the novodur compare to the especial, which do you like the best?

Top Bottom