What's new

Help Me Pick A TGN Knot For My Wolf Whisker Brush

Hello Gentlemen,

I need help deciding on a knot for my custom Wolf Whiskers Brush. I am going with a 24 mm knot set at 50 mm.

Here are the options:

24 mm TGN Silvertip Grade A Bulb

24 mm TGN Silvertip Premium Bulb

24 mm TGN High Mountain White Bulb

24 mm Brad Sears 3 Band Premium Silvertip Bulb

Thank you.

Last edited:
How about an Elite Shaving knot in High mountain white or manchurian? These are the next knots I'll be trying in a Wolf Whisker's brush myself after reading a ton of great reviews about them - http://www.eliterazor.com/product-category/shaving-brushes/premium-knots/

The Envy Luxury knot is excellent as well. I have one in a Wolf Whiskers brush and it was a great choice - https://www.etsy.com/listing/235777470/24mm-luxury-silvertip?ref=shop_home_active_2

I have an Envy White that I has a good bit of backbone and a little scritch. I reach for it when I use a harder soap and it's a nice knot but my preference is definitely for their Luxury knot.

As far as TGN goes the HMW are excellent knots though I have two and both of mine do shed. These are super soft knots and a good choice for face lathering. The TGN Finest knot I have has a bit more backbone and a little scritch to it. Still a nice knot though and a pretty good value knot. Maybe something a little nicer is justified for a Wolf Whiskers brush though.

Last edited:
I have a TGN finest in my WW, a 24mm set at 56mm loft. It has a nice scritch, but is a comfortable effective face-latherer. It holds a ton of lather... impressive brush!

[MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION], Does WW offer the Elite knots?

I don't see them on his knot offerings page as an option.

While I like the TGN Finest alot, their Silvertip has done nothing but shed. I'd stay away from that one.

So I've heard..........

I'm curious as to why he still offers them if there has been a big shedding problem with them.

He mostly offers TGN for knots so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do myself.

I do know I don't want a synthetic.

I have a st gr a. Packed to the gills with hair. One of my favorite knots. Haven't used any other tgn though.

So I've heard..........

I'm curious as to why he still offers them if there has been a big shedding problem with them.

He mostly offers TGN for knots so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do myself.

I do know I don't want a synthetic.

I don't care much for synthetics either, they're just not for me. If it helps, my 3 favorite knots so far are: #1 a 24mm TGN Finest Fan, and 2nd/3rd are a tie, a TGN 24mm Finest Bulb & TGN 22mm Finest Fan. IMO they're a great knot for the price.

I got on the list this morning #81. I also don't have any experience with these knots. The only brush I have is a somewhat crappy Perfecto Badger that is great for $9, but it has been shedding like crazy. The Perfecto was good to start and learn with, but the Wolf Whiskers brush is going to be the first premium brush I will own and obviously I don't have any first hand experience. I just ordered a Monster synthetic from Italian Barber with a Hawk, so I want the Wolf Whiskers brush to be a nice badger.

I primarily like to face lather, but I also use a scuttle to load and lather with my current brush because I want to avoid getting shedding hairs directly in my soap tins, as well as, I like the warmth now that the weather is getting cooler. Hopefully the new brush will eliminate the excessive shedding issue, but I will still like the scuttle to lather at least when the weather is cold.

Any recommendations based on experience is welcome. I think a 24mm knot is the was to go, but I am not sure of anything else. Thanks.

I got on the list this morning #81. I also don't have any experience with these knots. The only brush I have is a somewhat crappy Perfecto Badger that is great for $9, but it has been shedding like crazy. The Perfecto was good to start and learn with, but the Wolf Whiskers brush is going to be the first premium brush I will own and obviously I don't have any first hand experience. I just ordered a Monster synthetic from Italian Barber with a Hawk, so I want the Wolf Whiskers brush to be a nice badger.

I primarily like to face lather, but I also use a scuttle to load and lather with my current brush because I want to avoid getting shedding hairs directly in my soap tins, as well as, I like the warmth now that the weather is getting cooler. Hopefully the new brush will eliminate the excessive shedding issue, but I will still like the scuttle to lather at least when the weather is cold.

Any recommendations based on experience is welcome. I think a 24mm knot is the was to go, but I am not sure of anything else. Thanks.

Elite Razor's Manchurian White. Great backbone, soft tips with no scritch. I prefer it to my Thater 2 band and Shavemac D01 3 band. I have one waiting for WW handle.

I like the TGN Finest knots I have. I'm not impressed with TGN Silvertips. They are not as soft as the ones from Ace or Virginia Sheng. I can't comment on the others on your list.

[MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION], Does WW offer the Elite knots?

I don't see them on his knot offerings page as an option.

Nope. He doesn’t offer elite shave knots. I guess a person could purchase one elsewhere and ship it to Peter. I’m facing the same decision four years after this post began. I wish all the brush makers would get it set up where we could pay Peter for the knot and he get the knot for us. Or maybe we could pay the company handling the knot and they ship it to Peter for us. It’s a major hassle to purchase the knot, have it shipped to us and then turn around and ship it to Peter..

Top Bottom