What's new

Headwear for the Rain

So I saw a few other posts on hats, and it got me thinking about rain. What do yall put on your head when it's raining to keep from looking like a drowned rat when you get to the office? My office is very casual, but I traditionally wear standard business casual anyway (khakis/polo. occassionally a button down). I was thinking of getting myself a hemp Tilley hat for summer anyway. Would that work for late spring/early summer downpours? I have some Western hats I like to wear, but not in the rain. If yall have other options, I'd appreciate hearing them. And just so we're clear, I am NOT interested in anything that looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/yellow-rain-hat

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Bailey Litestraw Guthrie that works pretty well, although I haven't stood in a downpour...just go from car to a building. After I got it I decided I look a bit better in a 2 1/2 inch brim, but the 2 inch is okay.

They have several different styles in that line and I'm thinking about maybe getting the Crase or something like it.

You can get them cheaper than the factory from places like Village Hat Shop , Dad's Hats , etc. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years now. I'm no hat material expert so I can't comment on the quality, but mine is still in great shape.

strop

Now half as wise
Many years ago I had a plastic rain cover for my Boy Scout Campaign style hat that worked very well. I've thought about getting some to keep in my car and office for those downpours, but then I rarely have a raincoat in the summer so just use an umbrella.

Mike,
Those treated "straw" hats look like just the ticket for a quick dash from car to office!

Works for me, especially in windy weather.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I started to say something about a flat cap Eeyore; I have a linen Ivy cap and a cotton Newsy cap, though while not "waterproof", work just fine going from car to building. And a flat cap stays on great when it's windy. My wool Herringbone Newsy (see avatar) I wear in the winter works pretty well also.

If it's raining buckets I still grab the Bailey though...sometimes...and I keep an umbrella in my vehicles, although an umbrella in the vehicle doesn't do much good if it starts raining while you are in the office. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Tilley hats are hard to beat. I have the wide brim hemp hat too -- very nice in the sun. Their standard khaki canvas hats can be Scotch Guarded very effectively for the rain.

The Tilley made of nylon (khaki too) sheds rain like a duck's back. I also like the Filson mentioned above, but it looks a bit rugged for city wear -- the waxed fabric is wonderfully effective, but very stiff -- I highly recommend you actually try one of these on before buying.
:euro:

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I wear my cap which has two bills, one in the front and one in the rear.

It's the kind that Sherlock Holmes wore.

The rain doesn't go down my neck.

Tilley hats are hard to beat. I have the wide brim hemp hat too -- very nice in the sun. Their standard khaki canvas hats can be Scotch Guarded very effectively for the rain.

The Tilley made of nylon (khaki too) sheds rain like a duck's back. I also like the Filson mentioned above, but it looks a bit rugged for city wear -- the waxed fabric is wonderfully effective, but very stiff -- I highly recommend you actually try one of these on before buying.
:euro:

Thanks for your note. Is the hemp hat not a good option in the rain? Perhaps I should go with the canvas hat and scotch guard it. Not a fan of nylon hats.

I have a goretex driving cap from Gottman that I love. It's a bit warm for summer though.
My Stetson Bozeman with a plastic "shower cap" works pretty well too, though not when it's really windy or steamy.
Otherwise I bring an umbrella...

At the risk of appearing like a shill for Seattle companies, you might want to look at the Outdoor Research collection of rain hats. The quality is unbeatable, and there are many styles designed for climate conditions very familiar to the company, I.e., rain. If you want a classic fedora-type shape, the oiled canvas Filson is tough to beat. Might as well have the best.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Is that advalentine's picture?

I'll be daxx! There's a good looking guy here at B and B!

I also love my Tilley hats. I have the standard ones for summer and a winter weight one as well. Great in the rain and they go anywhere.

EDIT: Hat has been received! SWMBO approves, and it feels great. If it holds up like everyone seems to indicate it will, I'll be looking into a winter version as well. Thanks for those who chimed in.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a Tilley. My TH4 Hemp hat should be here tomorrow. Can't wait. And just in time to leave for the beach as well. Good opportunity for a test drive I believe. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom