What's new

A really dumb question - hats in the office?

I imagine the origin of why it is seems "offensive" or at least a bit "insensitive" goes back 100+ years ago when we were an agrarian society, where most people did manual labor and needed a hat for protection outdoors. That when coming indoors to a clean setting a person would take off their dirty or wet outwear before dining or generally socializing. In a similar vein, I find it very difficult to keep on my shoes when inside the house knowing that dirt is getting tracked in. I am not implying that a hat is as dirty as a pair of shoes, but if you live in a rural area around dirt roads it can get soiled pretty fast.

Like the EDS example, I have heard that IBM started their white shirt uniform back in the early days as a way to show their clients that they were professionals, and not part time farmers coming into the office after milking the cow or feeding the chickens. The white shirt, tie, shined shoes, etc. provided a clear demarcation between the labor classes.
Back when women were forbidden to wear pants and vote, amongst other non-sense rules/traditions/rituals/.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I imagine the origin of why it is seems "offensive" or at least a bit "insensitive" goes back 100+ years ago when we were an agrarian society, where most people did manual labor and needed a hat for protection outdoors. That when coming indoors to a clean setting a person would take off their dirty or wet outwear before dining or generally socializing. In a similar vein, I find it very difficult to keep on my shoes when inside the house knowing that dirt is getting tracked in. I am not implying that a hat is as dirty as a pair of shoes, but if you live in a rural area around dirt roads it can get soiled pretty fast.

Like the EDS example, I have heard that IBM started their white shirt uniform back in the early days as a way to show their clients that they were professionals, and not part time farmers coming into the office after milking the cow or feeding the chickens. The white shirt, tie, shined shoes, etc. provided a clear demarcation between the labor classes.
Even in the seventies it was white shirts. Pastel shirts were in style, but not at IBM. No loafers either. Shoes had to have laces. I remember a lady telling me my Florsheim wingtips looked like bumper cars.

He gets the little punk to take off his hat ... and then has the waiter send him a bottle of wine.
A "bottle of Montepulciano" as I recall. I was thinking that was probably a fairly upscale bottle and I think that was the idea, but I suppose a bottle or Montepulciano would not necessarily be that expensive. Very, very cool scene. I do not know whether Tony sent that bottle over for purposes of the cops he thought were sitting nearby, good will for the restaurant, or the guy he threatened. Maybe all three. Very class move, though! Or maybe to embarrass the guy all the move. I loved the waiter's reaction.

I love the look of that restaurant, BTW.

The best I can do is suggest you read "The Garden Party" short story by Katherine Mansfield. Absolutely no idea if that quote is in there, but the worst that can happen is you spend a couple hours reading a good short story.
Thanks. I will read that. But I am pretty sure this was a quote from a somewhat well-known, at least at the time, Brit upper class guy, who had some prominence. Kind of an amazing quote. It is one thing to think that. Pretty amazing to say it out loud!

provided a clear demarcation between the labor classes.
Sorry for the multiple responses. It would be interesting to know the actual derivation of the no hats inside rule of etiquette. As I have indicated, I do think lots of rules of etiquette and customs of dress were intended to "provide a demarcation between the . . . classes." I suspect that there were plenty of folks from the farming and laboring classes back in the day who frequently dined with their hats on, and that it was the more refined classes, whose hats would not have been dirty in the first instance, who were meticulous in removing theirs and in following all sorts of complicated etiquettes, which have in fact mercifully disappeared as irrelevant in the modern sphere. Also, I suppose, a person was expected to doff--cool word--his hat in the presence of nobility or even his social superiors. A gentleman removed his hat in the presence of ladies. All shows of respect. Interesting that the military rules are strict on hats in mess halls. Phil reference to being able to exposing one's face for identification is cool, too.

I think part of the idea is, that if a rule of etiquette is intended as a way of communicating respect to others, one wants to be careful to follow that rule in order to avoid giving unintended offense. Again, said another way, a gentleman is one who never unintentionally gives offense. :) Fun stuff!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry for the multiple responses. It would be interesting to know the actual derivation of the no hats inside rule of etiquette. As I have indicated, I do think lots of rules of etiquette and customs of dress were intended to "provide a demarcation between the . . . classes." I suspect that there were plenty of folks from the farming and laboring classes back in the day who frequently dined with their hats on, and that it was the more refined classes, whose hats would not have been dirty in the first instance, who were meticulous in removing theirs and in following all sorts of complicated etiquettes, which have in fact mercifully disappeared as irrelevant in the modern sphere. Also, I suppose, a person was expected to doff--cool word--his hat in the presence of nobility or even his social superiors. A gentleman removed his hat in the presence of ladies. All shows of respect. Interesting that the military rules are strict on hats in mess halls. Phil reference to being able to exposing one's face for identification is cool, too.

I think part of the idea is, that if a rule of etiquette is intended as a way of communicating respect to others, one wants to be careful to follow that rule in order to avoid giving unintended offense. Again, said another way, a gentleman is one who never unintentionally gives offense. :) Fun stuff!
So......by your reasoning..... I'm a gentleman because I sometimes intentionally give offense. Is it "offence" in the rest of the free werld?

I'm going to be a big time hip-oh-krit today.

I need a haircut. We are going to run errands, stop in the king of blatant consumerism, Birch Run Michigan for lunch at "Culver's", which will be filled with equal amounts Farmers, my fellow Millionaires, and public dole folks (of which I am proudly a member!).....

I will not be removing my Tilley hat. I'll probably put the earflaps inside, and not over my ears, but it depends on the ambient temperature of that fine eatery!

Color me a Rebel!

I'm a gentleman because I sometimes intentionally give offense.
Nope. Even non-gentlemen can intentionally give offense, under that "rule," which is not my rule and which I consider to be a joke rather than something serious. :) I also think the concept of gentleman has changed, for the better, over the centuries!

Color me a Rebel!
Done!

Another good rule to follow, of course, is "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." Always safe advice!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nope. Even non-gentlemen can intentionally give offense, under that "rule," which is not my rule and which I consider to be a joke rather than something serious. :) I also think the concept of gentleman has changed, for the better, over the centuries!

Done!

Another good rule to follow, of course, is "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." Always safe advice!
ESPECIALLY in Birch Run! More rednecks than a Derby Extra Convention!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

FaroffEnergeticAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Take your hat off indoors. Hats are acceptable inside transit areas where you’re not stopping like a train station or airport but not in say an office, restaurant etc. I’m not really a hat wearer but I will wear a sun hat if I need to and if dining outdoors, I leave the hat on if needed.

People can complain that it’s outdated and they don’t like it. Fine. All that proves is you don’t know how to behave. In addition, if the rest of the office behaves that way, they don’t know better either.

Hat etiquette (which is not hard to follow) is, like many other things, a holdover from old times which now just shows respect. Like a handshake or opening a door for someone else.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A "bottle of Montepulciano" as I recall. I was thinking that was probably a fairly upscale bottle and I think that was the idea, but I suppose a bottle or Montepulciano would not necessarily be that expensive. Very, very cool scene. I do not know whether Tony sent that bottle over for purposes of the cops he thought were sitting nearby, good will for the restaurant, or the guy he threatened. Maybe all three. Very class move, though! Or maybe to embarrass the guy all the move. I loved the waiter's reaction.

I love the look of that restaurant, BTW.
About 10 to 15 bucks a bottle.
Maybe he meant to rub it in that the kid had no class.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
My father never wore a hat but my grandfather always wore a paper boy cap when I started wearing one I just did what he did. When going into a shop his cap stayed on when entering someone's home the cap came off. When going into a cafe the cap came off and when a funeral was passing his cap came off and he bowed his head. So when I started wearing a cap I figured if I followed what he did I wouldn't be doing much wrong. I understand that times have changed and most people just wear their caps or hats all the time and I'm fine with that.

Top Bottom