What's new

A really dumb question - hats in the office?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20220127_155904088.jpg
Hippo Krit!

About 10 to 15 bucks a bottle.
Maybe he meant to rub it in that the kid had no class.
Thanks for playing along with me Phil. :) $10 to 15 would be a low end retail store price around here.

Just for kicks and out of an apparent obsession, I Googled up the wine lists for good Italian restaurants in DC of a few different levels to see what one might get if one simply ordered from the waiter a "bottle of Montepulciano." Probably would not be the cheapest on the wine list. Chianti, Barbera, or, say, Valpolicella might be more likely to do that. And Officina, probably my favorite high end Italian restaurant around here, is very proud indeed of some of its Montepulciano's. I think all of their Montepulciano's were Montepulciano de Abruzzas, though, and I cannot imagine the waiter bringing you anything without some further elaboration on which Montepulciano of the 30 or so on the list you wanted. Other places had less extensive wine lists, but still, ordering a "Montepulciano" seems like it would require some further elaboration.

So I am guessing you are probably right, Phil, that what Tony was ordering was intended to be on the lowish side, but maybe not the cheapest. It did seem like a very nice restaurant and they are nice Montepulcianos in the world! Actually, I am guessing that the reason he orders Montepulciano is that it is slightly more obscure and thus authentic than the other ones I named, and so, so much more fun to say!

I love most Italian wines of good quality. This is making me thirsty! Fun stuff to analyze the Sopranos. I think they were pretty careful in their script writing!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Propeller cap?😛

Got one. Worn it at work with a kilt and a Hawaiian shirt. Nobody blinked because...well...I'm a bit of an exhibitionist, as my mother used to say to her friends.

I had the coldest office in the building. I used to keep a watch cap in my filing cabinet, and wore that most of the coldest part of winter. Still have it; it's from Crown Cap in Winnipeg. It's gored wool rather than a knit, so it looks more like an old-school beanie (instead of what the kids call a "beanie" today).

At the U, most of the guys with little or no hair wear some kind of hat; most of the ladies keep a sweater or vest around and can even be seen in them during the summer if the A/C is really cranked down.

O.H.

Back when women were forbidden to wear pants and vote, amongst other non-sense rules/traditions/rituals/.
My hat comment was not really about 21st century fashion or how modern society might view early 20th century women's place in society or old time rituals.

It was to speculate that the hats off inside and at the dinner table was a development as a result of living in a world which was more dirty and sweaty (no air conditioning). A hat would not get cleaned as often, and people would politely not wear a soiled or sweaty item to the table. Whether a hat (outerwear in general) was dirty or not, parents would teach their children about the social norm of not wearing them indoors who would then teach next generation. Some things become a bit ritualistic over time. And an item meant for sun or weather protection is out of place at an inside dinner table.

I suppose I do not expect to remove a cap when riding on an airplane, even if I take my jacket off and store it in a bin. I think keeping a fedora on would look a bit weird, but there isn't really a safe place to stow a fedora on a plane.

Take your hat off indoors. Hats are acceptable inside transit areas where you’re not stopping like a train station or airport but not in say an office, restaurant etc. I’m not really a hat wearer but I will wear a sun hat if I need to and if dining outdoors, I leave the hat on if needed.

People can complain that it’s outdated and they don’t like it. Fine. All that proves is you don’t know how to behave. In addition, if the rest of the office behaves that way, they don’t know better either.

Hat etiquette (which is not hard to follow) is, like many other things, a holdover from old times which now just shows respect. Like a handshake or opening a door for someone else.
There is an acceptable etiquette related to hats and caps. For the most part, you take them off indoors, unless they are a part of the uniform. You keep it on if the hat can become damaged or even taken, meaning there isn't a good place to put it securely. Outdated or not, it is still your choice to go with the flow, swim against the current, or set an example. In the end, common sense and having a decent EQ and situational awareness is important in life.
1. Your choice at Braums, take it off at a restaurant. If it has layer of sweat rings, leave it in the truck(or car).
2. Buy a coat/hat rack for your office, they aren't expensive.
3. Take care of the hat and it'll last a lifetime.

I have rethought this a bit after being in Florida for ten days. I still think one should remove their hat or cap in a nicer restaurant, inside anyway. I am not sure what to do with it though. Certainly one needs a hat or cap walking around Florida. And I do not think one should put their hat or cap on the table. I ended up, more often than not putting my cap on the floor, which had its problems.

I do not know what the dividing line would be, but if you are wearing a collarless tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops in the restaurant anyway, I do not think anyone is going to be perturbed that you are also wearing a baseball cap, although I am not sure I would! And, I guess, I have no problem with folks wearing a tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops to the average Florida restaurant. When in Rome.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And, I guess, I have no problem with folks wearing a tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops to the average Florida restaurant. When in Rome.

Good example of how "local custom" and attitudes can colour one's response to this (and other sartorial) questions.

Let's face it, we answer the question "are cowboy boots and a suit appropriate wear for a bank office?" differently for Dallas or for Manhattan.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good example of how "local custom" and attitudes can colour one's response to this (and other sartorial) questions.

Let's face it, we answer the question "are cowboy boots and a suit appropriate wear for a bank office?" differently for Dallas or for Manhattan.
Well put.

I ran into a gent where I worked on about a weekly basis. Big boy. In his cowboy boots and Stetson cowboy hat he made me feel really short, and I'm over 6' in shoes, so, say he was 6'6" easy.

He had a handlebar mustache that was cartoonish, I mean, past his ears (it appeared to me; I never looked at him too long except the first time I saw him. Like a trainwreck.)
Loud, not quite Yosemite Sam loud, but you knew he was in the building. Vest....

I couldn't care less how he chose to dress, he was an electrical inspector, I believe, maybe plumbing. I worked in a Rehab/Long Term Care facility.

I always wondered if some of the residents wondered if they were being slammed with a new dementia issue whenever he came in!

About 10 to 15 bucks a bottle.
Maybe he meant to rub it in that the kid had no class.
I keep thinking about this Sopranos scene and what it was supposed to mean. I just got a delivery of wines from winespies.com, a supposed discount outfit, that included a $94 Valpolicella, which in my mind's eye seems close to a Montepulciano, or even a lesser wine. But this Valpolicella seems to really be a full on Amarone. A different animal than your basic Montepulciano.

What I do not know about Italian wines would fill volumes!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I keep thinking about this Sopranos scene and what it was supposed to mean. I just got a delivery of wines from winespies.com, a supposed discount outfit, that included a $94 Valpolicella, which in my mind's eye seems close to a Montepulciano, or even a lesser wine. But this Valpolicella seems to really be a full on Amarone. A different animal than your basic Montepulciano.

What I do not know about Italian wines would fill volumes!
I suspect it's possible the gifted wine was a demonstration of how a gentleman should behave, teaching by example. Perhaps a gesture to make up for having to do the job the young man's father should have done years before.

I suspect it's possible the gifted wine was a demonstration of how a gentleman should behave, teaching by example. Perhaps a gesture to make up for having to do the job the young man's father should have done years before.
I do like the way the Sopranos has nuance and complication. Maybe even intentional ambiguity. Seems to me the Godfather is similar in that way. What human beings do is often ambiguous!

Does make me thirsty for some Tuscan red!

My hat comment was not really about 21st century fashion or how modern society might view early 20th century women's place in society or old time rituals.

It was to speculate that the hats off inside and at the dinner table was a development as a result of living in a world which was more dirty and sweaty (no air conditioning). A hat would not get cleaned as often, and people would politely not wear a soiled or sweaty item to the table. Whether a hat (outerwear in general) was dirty or not, parents would teach their children about the social norm of not wearing them indoors who would then teach next generation. Some things become a bit ritualistic over time. And an item meant for sun or weather protection is out of place at an inside dinner table.
There's a bit more to it than that.

• If you are wearing a hat indoors it indicates that you are leaving the building.
  • It also indicates that you have little respect for the establishment/homeowner.
  • I was raised to believe that removing your hat indoors is an indication of both breeding and education.
This wasn't that long ago and true social norms haven't changed all that much. Mature people (including the court system) still view wearing a hat indoors as typically rude, unrefined, and boorish.

This is NOT "tradition", but social graces.

Get over it.

Top Bottom