What's new

Have modern DE razors become more popular than vintage?

That’s right but issue with razors is how do you know what is a great razor for you if didn’t try a few of them.
I found R41 G(S) is great for my needs after 4 or so razors.

Fortunatelly R41 is now available in it’s grande version in Stainless steel :)

The main thing is to always buy what you like or want regardless if it's expensive or not. Everything else is just opinions and different point of views. For instance, I was getting amazingly close shave with my R41, but the way the razor was shaving wasn't enjoyable at all and I sold it. The end result for me is just as important as the way I'm getting to it as well as using the preferable angle and having a smooth bar even if it's an open comb.

I enjoy both new and vintage. The vintage razors have a vibe that the modern ones don't.
I wouldn't say any is more excellent than the other.
At the end of the day, they're all commissioned to do the same job: Shave!
Some are more special than others and good & bad ones exist on both sides!
To answer the original topic question,
I don't think modern ones have become more popular. I'm sure some, such as Blackland,
Karve etc.., have tremendous sales. But if you look at the vintage sales, it's massive!
It's a hard thing to compare especially since one is based on the new market and the other is based on the used market. From what I see (through the B&B lens), I'd say that they're equals in terms of popularity. I see a 50/50!

The main thing is to always buy what you like or want regardless if it's expensive or not. Everything else is just opinions and different point of views. For instance, I was getting amazingly close shave with my R41, but the way the razor was shaving wasn't enjoyable at all and I sold it. The end result for me is just as important as the way I'm getting to it as well as using the preferable angle and having a smooth bar even if it's an open comb.
Fair enough. For me the end result is my top priority. As long as the way to end result is bearable I’m ok with it.
With R41 I realized it is all about which blade you place in it, which makes it a different experience yet keeps end results flawless. But I understand that ymmv and that is a good thing bc that way we have more variety of razors to choose from and to see on pictures ;)

Fair enough. For me the end result is my top priority. As long as the way to end result is bearable I’m ok with it.
With R41 I realized it is all about which blade you place in it, which makes it a different experience yet keeps end results flawless. But I understand that ymmv and that is a good thing bc that way we have more variety of razors to choose from and to see on pictures ;)

Exactly, it's a trial and error situation and after trying a couple of different types of razors, I've realised what to look for and what to stay away from. I also don't like heavy and bulky razors like the Rockwell 6S for instance or razors that were designed to work with shallow angle. And it's not because I can't shave with those types of razors, it's just that the shaves are not enjoyable at all even if the results are very good.

The more I read of this thread, the more I appreciate and want to use my vintage Gillettes. I've even added three open combs and a Slim to my small collection. I don't even look at modern razors because I just like the old stuff better.

The more I read of this thread, the more I appreciate and want to use my vintage Gillettes. I've even added three open combs and a Slim to my small collection. I don't even look at modern razors because I just like the old stuff better.
But do you have any modern ones?
It's not a bad idea to at least try one.
Just to compare!
I was backwards, I started with moderns and then started with the vintage stuff. And I was anti-vintage! I couldn't understand why anyone bought them. Then one day I tried one out of pure curiosity by getting my first Flare tip and started collecting from there. Like I said, I like both. If you don't try one out, you'll never know why people buy them.
You might actually enjoy them too!
Try something like a Fatip open comb nickel grande razor. They're made of brass, hand machined in Italy and about $20 at Pasteur Shaving.
Modern but with a vintage vibe. They're very charming and a cheap way to experiment.
Not trying to enable, Lol!!

Last edited:
But do you have any modern ones?
It's not a bad idea to at least try one.
Just to compare!
I was backwards, I started with moderns and then started with the vintage stuff. And I was anti-vintage! I couldn't understand why anyone bought them. Then one day I tried one out of pure curiosity by getting my first Flare tip and started collecting from there. Like I said, I like both. If you don't try one out, you'll never know why people buy them.
You might actually enjoy them too!
I have a Jagger DE89 from about 2011 and a Feather AS-D2 that I bought in 2017. The Feather is outstanding. Absolutely zero interest in other modern razors. Why? Because this type of shaving has certain traditions for me and I grew up (started shaving) when Techs, SuperSpeeds, Slims, etc. were new razors, not vintage. I know them and like them. I truly don't care what other people like as opinions here are like ____ and everyone's got one and they're are usually wrong anyway. ;) Gotta remember, I've been shaving longer than many members here have even been alive (55-6 years now).

Last edited:
I have a Jagger DE89 from about 2011 and a Feather AS-D2. The Feather is outstanding. Absolutely zero interest in other modern razors. Why? Because this type of shaving has certain traditions for me and I grew up (started shaving) when Techs, SuperSpeeds, Slims, etc. were new razors, not vintage. I know them and like them. I truly don't care what other people like as opinions here are like ____ and everyone's got one and they're are usually wrong anyway. ;) Gotta remember, I've been shaving longer than many members here have even been alive (55-6 years now).
Ah, forgot you had those. I had read it before on one of your other threads.
Well then, forget what I said🤣

If I didn't already own the Feather, that's about the only modern razor that would grab my interest. It's like a high end, solidly built Tech but not the same shave as one (like a ball end). It's better IMO and I LOVE the ball end Techs.

From each day's new topics, I'm convinced B&B has completely shifted away from vintage razors, brushes, soaps/creams, etc. Look at the member names from 10-12 years ago. Seems like most are gone. And newer members embrace modern razors, synthetic brushes, "boutique/artisan" soap companies, etc. Ah well, life is ever changing and nothing ever stays the same.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
From each day's new topics, I'm convinced B&B has completely shifted away from vintage razors, brushes, soaps/creams, etc. Look at the member names from 10-12 years ago. Seems like most are gone. And newer members embrace modern razors, synthetic brushes, "boutique/artisan" soap companies, etc. Ah well, life is ever changing and nothing ever stays the same.
I think there is a pretty strong cycle. Try something new, get excited about something else, then try that. All the while technique gets better while preferences flip flop. Some people stick around to try the latest and greatest, while others take a nostalgia trip and rediscover the classics. But after a few technical milestones, new gear can only take you so far.

I lurked here for at least 15 years, mostly reading reviews on what I wanted to buy. Now, some 30 razors, and equal amounts of other gear has passed through my hands. I still haven't bought a Wolfman nor am I holding out for any high expectations. I'm only worried that once I get it, I'll confirm my expectations and quit.

Meanwhile, I've met 2 members in real life, that has been very interesting!

I think a lot of the real old timers stay for the social element.

lasta

Blade Biter
Meanwhile, back to the topic.

@CCS , I believe you have a Red Tip? I have one on the way!

How do you find the shave vs a 40's/early 50's SS? Does the BBS last longer? Have you compared the blade gap vs your Techs? Does it clamp good? Any blade chatter?

Meanwhile, back to the topic.

@CCS , I believe you have a Red Tip? I have one on the way!

How do you find the shave vs a 40's/early 50's SS? Does the BBS last longer? Have you compared the blade gap vs your Techs? Does it clamp good? Any blade chatter?
I have a standard 40's SS but made the first quarter of 1954 and a 1964 standard Flare tip. I really don't do experiments, measure blade gaps, blade chatter (I don't really know what that is or feel it). One shaves to the razor's abilities. The rest, I can't help you with sorry. All I can say is those two razors work well for me as do all the other razors in my cabinet (otherwise they wouldn't be there). There are differences between them but I mostly don't notice.

lasta

Blade Biter
I have a standard 40's SS but made the first quarter of 1954 and a 1964 standard Flare tip. I really don't do experiments, measure blade gaps, blade chatter (I don't really know what that is or feel it). One shaves to the razor's abilities. The rest, I can't help you with sorry. All I can say is those two razors work well for me as do all the other razors in my cabinet (otherwise they wouldn't be there). There are differences between them but I mostly don't notice.
Thanks!

It was a half-assed attempted at a joke...:001_005:

Several of the newer razors are capable of giving a tad closer shave, than most vintage razors of a similar type. I enjoy my Fat-Boy, and combined with a Feather or other sharp blade, easily obtain BBS results, however, the BBS shave from the Rex Ambassador stays BBS a few hours longer, being just a tad closer. The Rex of course has quite a bit more blade feel than the Fat-Boy, the Fat-Boy has nearly no blade feel even on 7/8, and even 9 has very little....the Rex on the other hand has blade feel even set down to 1.5, not saying its uncomfortable, only that you absolutely know there's a blade there, and it's capable of drawing blood even at 1.5, whereas the Fat-Boy is nearly fool-proof on 7/8, with 9 possibly giving a slight chance if you're sloppy or heavily rushed. - Ok, maybe not a super fair comparison given a Rex Ambassador runs roughly $250 if you were to buy it, and it's milled stainless, as opposed to stamped brass. (I was just lucky enough to not have to buy my Rex, so technically, the Fat-Boy cost me more).

Even a more lonely Rockwell 6S or 6C with the higher plates will yield a bit closer shave than the Fat-Boy, and that's a more fair comparison, adjusting the original $1.95 pricing for inflation.

A NEW SC does compare favorably to say a Timeless, at least shave quality wise, although in pure smoothness or feel, the Timeless may actually win. (I'm referring to an original 0.95 OC Timeless, not the Bronze OC, which wasn't face friendly to my face).

Seems the newer razors, especially the artisan ones, are both works of art and compare very favorably to many vintage razors, in quality of shave, or closeness. (Ok, I've become BBS or go-home in my daily routine, I admit it).

True. There is also only so much esotera we can "discover," so those of us that have searched, hunted, gathered & sought out various vintage razors have generally (or at least IME) topped out at our level of vintage collecting.

I have several cased & set pieces, but I'm not inclined to spend the megabucks to purchase the NOS or otherwise preserved sets. Others will. If I want to try something new, it pretty much has to be modern at this stage.

I will say, I have not yet found anything to top the Red Ring yet, so vintage is still definitely in my den.😎

Perhaps Wolfman? I'm not likely to spend for the off chance...

Top Bottom