What's new

Have modern DE razors become more popular than vintage?

I'll not say you shouldn't use the tools that you enjoy using. Far from it, I think finding the things that you personally enjoy using is the reason to take shaving from a chore to a hobby.

But every time this topic of vintage vs modern comes up, people point at names like Wolfman and say that higher price doesn't mean better shaves. And that's honestly debatable, on a subjective level. On an objective level, sure, a more expensive razor is not inherently a better shaver than a less expensive one. On the subjective level, maybe the person that bought the Wolfman razor enjoys the workmanship and luxury of such a high priced item enough that using it makes them enjoy the shave more than using some other equally performant but less expensive razor. That person will say that the Wolfman shaves better, and for them, that's true.

The other thing that gets said so often is that vintage razors have a soul and character that modern razors just can't have. Well, that is also objectively untrue. A piece of manufactured metal does not have a soul. What they do have is a history. If that history is something you admire, then it is likely something that affects your subjective enjoyment of a razor in just the same way that the workmanship and luxury affects the previous example.

Based solely on the objective comparison of razor designs, irrespective of any other factors, yes, some modern razors will outperform the majority of vintage razors. At the same time, some exceptional vintage razors will continue to outperform the majority of modern razors for the foreseeable future. It's when you start talking about the subjective elements that the waters get so muddy most can't see beyond their own preconceptions, heh.

As for which is more popular, I think that would probably be too hard to accurately judge, unless you're willing to settle for the data pool being only those who frequent shaving forums. And I'm certain that dataset would not be all that useful in talking about the broader shaving market. I would think it would very likely SEEM like there's a lot more talk about modern razors now than there was 8-10 years ago, but that would mostly be due to do with the fact that there are a lot more manufacturers in existence now than there were 8-10 years ago. And a lot more high end manufacturing processes being used than there used to be.

A great example of this is the Tradere razor. When Tradere was launched about 10 years ago, there was VERY LITTLE competition in the space between the Muhle/Merkur/EJ lines and the ultra high end like the Pils, and $165 for a DE razor was seen as quite expensive. Nowadays getting that exact razor made, thanks to Blackland for bringing it back, costs almost twice as much, and isn't even at the top of the high end razor game.
Very nicely and elegantly stated, Yuritau.

I agree very much with Yuritau. The past 10 years have seen an explosion in the resurgence of classic-style razor production. It used to be, if you wanted variety, outside of a few very narrow options, you had to search out the vintage classics.

Interestingly, my favorite razor (at the moment) is not one I would have looked at, not too long ago (Asylum McMurphy). I like blade-feel, I like smooth "with an edge". Closest were the Eclipse, Darwin and Karve. The McMurphy hits all the sweetspots, no negatives. I guess my point is, we finally have almost as many modern choices as vintage.

Reactions: CCS
Started shaving with a DE about 8 months ago. Started with GC .68 and bought a Gillette Aristicrat 1948-50. The GC shaved better for me than the Gillette. I have since bought a RR Lupo .72 and use it as a daily shaver, with great results. I see the razor as a tool, and the older models may be as good but I'm pretty sure they are not better.

It's a good thing there are modern razor makers or this place would be dead. B&B is very different than 10 years back with all the newer shavers that prefer new razors.

For me, older safety razors have that 'collectable' factor for typically little cost that modern safety razors lack.

It's nice to have a little collection of 60-70+ year old razors in different flavours such as adjustables or different colour TTOs .. or even a bit of luxury with names like Aristocrat or New Improved. plus that you can actually use them too and get a superb shave; and if you look hard enough all for £20.

Some of the moderns are great too. My regular shaver is a stainless steel DS Cosmetics Z.0 V2 with an also Chinese made titanium handle .. it cost about £50 all in which is more than I've paid for any vintage safety razor, and I'd say those artisan brands at 5x the cost won't shave any better or last any longer. However £50 is the limit I'd pay for a modern safety razor .. they will take another 50yrs to reach anywhere near vintage desirability... And I not got another 50yrs to wait and see that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm new to the wet shaving and certainly new to the hobby aspect of it. I started out with a modern AC razor, the Claymore Evolution. It's only because I found B&B that I'm now a hobbiest at all. When we get home from Bali, I'll have 6 different models from which to choose when I shave. A couple of them have multiple base plates so that will extend the shaving possibilities as well. I will have the Pearl Flexi to learn, my first adjustable. So, 6 models, 4 modern and 2 Gillette Vintage.

I don't plan to take a side in this issue. For me, that is far too limiting. I don't really care if a razor is modern or classic. The shave it what matters to me. I don't want to try every razor Gillette made any more than I want to own every modern razor model. I'm not a collector, though I'm completely fine with people who are. Societies seem to try and force people to conform to this way of thinking or that. It's human nature. Our species developed into distinct tribes, cultures and shared histories. That tendency is ever with us. Us vs. them. It's in our nature to want to belong, to be part of a group.

I like to belong to the B&B community. It's given me much pleasure and continues to do so. I see it as a whole, made up of people from all walks of life and all manner of likes and dislikes.

I doubt I'm communicating my thoughts all that clearly. I like that there are dedicated sub-groups here. I enjoy reading about razors I'll never buy or use. I don't get the feeling that because I don't own a Henson, Wolfman, Blackland, various Vintage razors or any number of other razors that I'm excluded. I read all those threads because I've begun to get to the know the people who frequent them. We often find things in common. I might not own razor X but I use the same brush or soap the person with razor X does. There is a lot of cross pollination going on. lots of people learning from each other. @never-stop-learning turned that motto into his SN and you know what? He's been doing this for ages and he continues to learn. That is just one example. There are dozens more.

I know I can't snatch the pebble from anyone's hand at this point but I am learning. And more importantly to me, I've been having a very nice time doing it. I wasn't looking for a new hobby when our son gave me that Lupo DE aluminum. I had no idea it would be so much fun or that I'd meet such interesting and diverse people along the way.

The two vintage razors in my avatar were used for many years, and are still used on occasion. And I wouldn't think of parting with them till I've 'shuffled off this mortal coil'.
But my go to razor is my Rex Envoy which I love. So, I guess I'm also in the modern camp. 😊

lasta

Blade Biter
Love both vintage and ‘modern,’ although these days I am mostly in the ‘modern’ camp. That’s just how it turned out.
You've changed heart!

While waiting for my Red Tip to arrive early next month I've been scanning the forums for reviews. Your name "used to" turn up a lot:c7:.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
I have a merkur and muhle, neither of which cost more than a vintage razor or certainly not the ones on eBay here in the UK

Quite easy to still get vintage Gillette's around £20.
This week a HD Rocket in original blue/clear case went for less than £20 posted .. razor & case looked in good condition too.
The previous week there were 2x Aristocrat Jr's one in flat plate and other in diamond plate and good condition case which went for little over £20 posted.

Most weeks there are some that get overlooked for whatever reason.

Quite easy to still get vintage Gillette's around £20.
This week a HD Rocket in original blue/clear case went for less than £20 posted .. razor & case looked in good condition too.
The previous week there were 2x Aristocrat Jr's one in flat plate and other in diamond plate and good condition case which went for little over £20 posted.

Most weeks there are some that get overlooked for whatever reason.
Just curious where you find these. Ebay and Etsy seem to be a little nuts unless condition is poor. Of course, most of my vintage Gillettes were bought before things went a little nuts. My most recent purchase was an extremely nice 1963 Slim that I paid $60 plus nominal shipping from a good seller on Etsy but most prices for quality vintage Gillettes have gone way up since I paid $24 for a near mint gold '48-50 Aristocrat 10-12 years ago.

For me it's all about availability and price
Vintage are hard to find
Modern cost too much
Therefore, I stick with classic things
For now I have EJ DE89 and 3One6
Next I plan to get are Muhle R41, Mercur 34G, sladgehammer...
IMO 200-300$ for a razor is too much, if Roskwell 6s and EJ3One6 cost around 100$, i don't see why some should be 300

For me it's all about availability and price
Vintage are hard to find
Modern cost too much
Therefore, I stick with classic things
For now I have EJ DE89 and 3One6
Next I plan to get are Muhle R41, Mercur 34G, sladgehammer...
IMO 200-300$ for a razor is too much, if Roskwell 6s and EJ3One6 cost around 100$, i don't see why some should be 300

Most people start like that and after a few years they end up buying one or two more expensive or a bunch of inexpensive ones. I never planned to spend that much money on both vintage and modern razors, but here I am now, spending more than I really need.

A good friend of mine once told me that it's always better to spend a bit more on something that you really want than spend much less, but end up buying a dozens of things that combined cost as much as the better one that you wanted way more. The razors you plan to get are not bad, but they are all made out of zamak and a well made and precise stainless steel razor will almost always shave a bit better than most zamak razors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or what to buy or not, I'm just sharing my experience, because I've been there already and like many others before me, I was told pretty much the same thing and I was like - nah, screw the more expensive razors, I'm going to buy this and that razor and that's it.

I agree, for start I would like to get some classics.
Regarding vintage stuff, tbh I'm to lazy to restore them and to search for them.
But what will bee in couple of years, we will see

Just curious where you find these. Ebay and Etsy seem to be a little nuts unless condition is poor. Of course, most of my vintage Gillettes were bought before things went a little nuts. My most recent purchase was an extremely nice 1963 Slim that I paid $60 plus nominal shipping from a good seller on Etsy but most prices for quality vintage Gillettes have gone way up since I paid $24 for a near mint gold '48-50 Aristocrat 10-12 years ago.

These do come up - but its a case of keeping an eye out, not being too hasty, and getting it at a price you want.
I have cleaned up enough to see which ones are likely to come up good - and which ones are not worth the effort.

As is typical with Ebay, the timing of the sale is often the deciding factor. The two Aristocrat Jrs in the case went for less that what 1 Aristocrat Jr in poor condition without a case sold for a couple hours later ... its a bit of a lottery what they go for.

I previously couldn`t resist any HD Rocket or Red tip that came up for less that £20 .. but soon realised they were getting expensive just to keep as `spares` .. I just observe the sales now .. honest!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I only buy cheap, cruddy & corroded old junk vintatge razors to replate. I recently got a $10 ball end Old Type that looks stunning after replating.
View attachment 1504035
Even with the cost of plating, it's cheaper than a pristine example, plus the actual plating will outlast Gillette's original thin & cheap gold wash. A $20 Goodwill #175 Special is now on the way to get replated at Backroads Gold. There aren't any cracks in the Ball End handle.
I might have to go to skool on you! Smart man!

A good friend of mine once told me that it's always better to spend a bit more on something that you really want than spend much less, but end up buying a dozens of things that combined cost as much as the better one that you wanted way more.
That’s right but issue with razors is how do you know what is a great razor for you if didn’t try a few of them.
I found R41 G(S) is great for my needs after 4 or so razors.
The razors you plan to get are not bad, but they are all made out of zamak and a well made and precise stainless steel razor will almost always shave a bit better than most zamak razors.
Fortunatelly R41 is now available in it’s grande version in Stainless steel :)

Top Bottom