What's new

Have modern DE razors become more popular than vintage?

Me too. I have a couple of R41’s and they are definitely not fitting the technical definition of an Open Comb. I think Hybrid is a good categorization for it.
The Mühle R41 v2 and v3 have a hybrid comb as from the patent of ASAN schlüssler from the 1930s, the v1 was a true OC.

Regarding the R41: It's not just that it's an open comb or "hybrid" open comb. It's the geometry. There aren't any commonly used vintage razors with that kind of aggressive design, are there? As has been noted in this thread, vintage razors were designed more for mass appeal.
In Europe most of the pre-war-era razors were highly aggressive, all the Sonals, Punktals, Henckels, Asans, Globusmann and so on. The reason is simple, the blades were rather dull. Most of them had more blade exposure.

I like having vintage razors, but I'm worried about "ruining" them with daily use, so I have a less than pristine Gillette Slim and a modern fatip. I do appreciate the nice CNC stainless razors and would love to have one

In Europe most of the pre-war-era razors were highly aggressive, all the Sonals, Punktals, Henckels, Asans, Globusmann and so on. The reason is simple, the blades were rather dull. Most of them had more blade exposure.
I had a Punktal at one point. Brutally aggressive, not really fit for human shaving.

On the other hand, the iKon Shavecraft 101, which is based on the Punktal, is one of my favorite razors of all time.

There are definitely some nice modern stainless steel razors that aren't extraordinarily expensive. Two current production ones that I have that I think are good are the Razorock Lupo, which has a number of plate choices, and the Wet Shaving Club 'Merica razor (made by Yates). Both are less than $100 USD.

I like having vintage razors, but I'm worried about "ruining" them with daily use, so I have a less than pristine Gillette Slim and a modern fatip. I do appreciate the nice CNC stainless razors and would love to have one
Those vintage razors are 50-100 years old aready and are likely to last another 50-100 years if taken care of just a little. And, if they aren't serious collectibles, a restore and replate makes them about good as new and, in the case of the plating, even better than new. I do like my few modern razors as I've said before but, I usually prefer shaving with my small vintage collection of Gillettes that range in age from the 1920's to 1964.

fullsizeoutput_44f9.jpeg

I had a Punktal at one point. Brutally aggressive, not really fit for human shaving.

On the other hand, the iKon Shavecraft 101, which is based on the Punktal, is one of my favorite razors of all time.
Use them with vintage blades and they work like charm.

I've complained about the DE89 here a couple times. I got it about 10 years ago to have something new but I didn't like it over the vintage stuff I had so it just sat on the shelf. I used it a couple times recently and felt the same as I had way back. Maybe there's something I don't get about using it. It sure is pretty.
That was the very first razor I bought. I feel it’s a little bit mild if you have course facial hair. But at the time that in the merkur 34C were the two most recommended razors.

I think people believe since it’s mild that you’re less likely to nick yourself when you first start shaving, however, what generally happens as you tend to apply more pressure thinking it will cut closer and you get a cut.

Those vintage razors are 50-100 years old aready and are likely to last another 50-100 years if taken care of just a little. And, if they aren't serious collectibles, a restore and replate makes them about good as new and, in the case of the plating, even better than new. I do like my few modern razors as I've said before but, I usually prefer shaving with my small vintage collection of Gillettes that range in age from the 1920's to 1964.

View attachment 1557344

Nice collection of old razors. 😍

Top Bottom