What's new

Hat of the Day!

VS work of Art this morning then the Akubra Squatter this afternoon for a wedding
4B0629ED-73BA-468C-95A5-12F80E6CEAB2.jpeg
EF2F3BDF-F44C-491A-8DB3-1B4F79B99EC3.jpeg
63DBDE01-9CE7-47E8-8043-ECF98FE04294.jpeg
AD9922CD-6106-4DE7-9E9B-2302C8B4828B.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My IRL (as the kids say) "Hat of the Day" is my Akubra Campdraft. I foresee it getting a LOT of head-time as the weather cools off, so I won't bore you guys with pics every day. Just when I'm feeling particular sporty or dapper.

First morning it's cool enough to wear felt. I picked my favorite, Stetson 7x Clear Beaver my dad got from Shudde Brothers in the 60s.
Perfect for sitting on the back porch with a cup of coffee and the dog.

Attachments

• 20220930_075743.jpg
    20220930_075743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220930_080026.jpg
    20220930_080026.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 9
New hat alert!
So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to walk the pilgrim trail in Italy, the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome, about 250 miles of trekking through the Italian countryside. Quite a commitment for someone who has never hiked before. There is a lot of planning, researching, etc. involved. I have no hiking gear and no knowledge of what 3-4 weeks of walking entails.
BUT, I HAVE PRIORITIES! I knew the first thing I was going to need was a good pilgrim hat. I knew a typical booney hat or baseball cap wasn't going to work for me. I found this perfect hat on the JJ Hat Center Backroom for half price.
Now that I have the necessities taken care of I can start thinking about minor stuff like hiking shoes and backpacks.
pilgrim hat.jpg
pilgrim hat 2.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
New hat alert!
So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to walk the pilgrim trail in Italy, the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome, about 250 miles of trekking through the Italian countryside. Quite a commitment for someone who has never hiked before. There is a lot of planning, researching, etc. involved. I have no hiking gear and no knowledge of what 3-4 weeks of walking entails.
BUT, I HAVE PRIORITIES! I knew the first thing I was going to need was a good pilgrim hat. I knew a typical booney hat or baseball cap wasn't going to work for me. I found this perfect hat on the JJ Hat Center Backroom for half price.
Now that I have the necessities taken care of I can start thinking about minor stuff like hiking shoes and backpacks.View attachment 1537048View attachment 1537049
Very nice sir! Hey, sun protection is important. You don't want to have to conclude your pilgrimage having to seek out miraculous healing for melanoma. That lid certainly looks like it should do the job and not peg you instantly as a tourist.

Quite a journey you're undertaking. I've never done anything like that. However, everything I've read about such pilgrimages is the whole process of adjusting to the walking, overcoming the blisters, etc is all part of the spiritual journey as well. Best wishes and God speed!

Question: Anyone familiar with a company called Tenth Street Hats? They've been popping up in my FB feed. I'm in the market somewhat for a new brimmed hat, and while I've greatly enjoyed my Tilley's, I'm hoping for something a bit easier on the wallet. I stain them too easily from sweating and it makes the whole "good for life" aspect a bit irrelevant.

I'm hoping for something a bit easier on the wallet. I stain them too easily from sweating and it makes the whole "good for life" aspect a bit irrelevant.
I don't know them but IMO there is truth to the whole "get what you pay for" motto. You'd be better off getting something of quality that's used off of the bay or a used clothing shop. A good remedy for the sweat stain issue is to slide a folded paper towel or newspaper under the band. It'll absorb the sweat and then you can replace it when needed.

Top Bottom