What's new

Hat of the Day!

I love hats but I don't think that I've worn one that makes me look decent. Found this newsboy cap and said hey why not, now it's on the way, we'll see.
867207.jpg

I'm sad, oh it's a beautiful hat but once again it doesn't look right on me hmmm. Maybe I'll try something with a higher crown and a brim.
I'm short with a thin face, any suggestions, maybe a fedora, please help?

I'm sad, oh it's a beautiful hat but once again it doesn't look right on me hmmm. Maybe I'll try something with a higher crown and a brim.
I'm short with a thin face, any suggestions, maybe a fedora, please help?
I'm certainly not one to give fashion advice. I typically go with the thought that if YOU like the way you look/feel in something, then that is the right thing for you to wear. However, I do recall seeing some articles/videos on the subject of matching a hat style to your face shape. This isn't the one I saw, but the web is full of them.
How To Get The Right Hat For Your Face Shape & Body Type - https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/right-hat-for-your-face-shape/

I'm certainly not one to give fashion advice. I typically go with the thought that if YOU like the way you look/feel in something, then that is the right thing for you to wear. However, I do recall seeing some articles/videos on the subject of matching a hat style to your face shape. This isn't the one I saw, but the web is full of them.
How To Get The Right Hat For Your Face Shape & Body Type - https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/right-hat-for-your-face-shape/
Thank you for taking the time to help.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Maybe this since I'm short with a thin ( lost weight) face.View attachment 1565209
Maybe. The shape of a Homberg could work for your face, if it's long as well as thin. Homberg crowns are rather tall. Hombergs are also very formal and really should be worn with suits.

Your best bet would be to go to a store where you can try on some different hat styles. Ideally, of course, you'd want to go to a hat store. But if you don't have one nearby, even a Macy's or other department store would work. Please DON'T buy a hat at a department store. They're all garbage. But for just trying on to see what you like, it should be fine. If it doesn't feel too weird to you, bring a little ruler (or use a ruler app in your phone) to measure the crown height and brim width that look best to you. Then you can find a hat online that matches those measurements.

The Gentleman's Gazette article linked above is quite good and corresponds to advise found in old articles and trade magazines from when most men wore a brimmed hat daily. For a short gentleman with narrow face, and presumable narrow shoulders, you would a hat with a shorter crown height that looks proportional on your head and narrower brim (probably between 2" - 2.5") Although they are a bit more "fashion forward", a "stingy" fedora, aka Trilby (sub 2" brim) or pork pie (flat crown, short brim) could work well for you if you like the look on your head.

rgMaybe this, I'm not sure the feather is me.
That's a very nice hat. I think you're correct about the feather. I feel like the Homburg is a dressy hat that would go well with a dark suit or even a tux but the feather dresses it down and looks out of place.

I love hats but I don't think that I've worn one that makes me look decent
I know there are a lot of tropes about who should wear what kind of shapes, etc. I find that putting on and wearing a hat with confidence makes the biggest difference. I'm fairly short and pretty stocky (5'8" 210) and will wear anything and look good doing it despite the "rules"

That's a very nice hat. I think you're correct about the feather. I feel like the Homburg is a dressy hat that would go well with a dark suit or even a tux but the feather dresses it down and looks out of place.

I know there are a lot of tropes about who should wear what kind of shapes, etc. I find that putting on and wearing a hat with confidence makes the biggest difference. I'm fairly short and pretty stocky (5'8" 210) and will wear anything and look good doing it despite the "rules"
I love the confidence, thanks.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yeah it's the wrong season, but I just picked up this new Stetson Rushmore today. It's a touch tight but will hopefully break in a bit. View attachment 1572238
Its never the wrong season for a fine hat. Very nice choice!

One comment, though. If its a bit tight, you may want to exchange it for the next size up if you can. Generally speaking, hats don't break in like boots, they usually shrink over time. I'm mainly thinking of felt here, maybe someone who has worn more straw hats than me can chime in to confirm or deny. However, if you're committed to the hat at this point, get yourself a good hat jack. $20 or so from your favoriate online mega mart.

Top Bottom