What's new

Hard steel and pressue.

Hello again,

I am honing some old Swedish razors these days and I am having trouble putting a decent edge on them. I am convinced the problem lies in my skills and I was wondering how you guys deal with hard steel.

I have honed up really nice edges on Sheffield steel and Chinese steel but with my Heljes I can't get as good a shave. My question is basically if I should use more pressure or just add laps to the progression?

A little more info would be helpful, what stones are you using? How are you using them? Do the razors that you are struggling with have proper geometry?
Not all razors respond to the same techniques as you are likely finding out.

I use a dmt 6 micron(4000 grit equivalent) to deal with those that need it. Its smooth, cuts fast and no need to worry about chipping. Then I go down to the 1k chosera and up. In your case, more strokes for sure. Watch the stones are lapped and stay the course unil you are sure the bevel is set

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
"Less pressure+more time=added refinement". A member here gave me this advice a few weeks back. I think it's worth repeating.

You just need to invest more time and patience. When it's done, it's done on your bevel setter. You don't need to mess with any added pressure.

Pressure is neccessary.
Excessive pressure is counter productive.
Spending time to refine is inevitable.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I use a shapton 1k and sometimes 30um lapping film to set the bevel, then a 12, 9, 5, 3, 1 progression. So more laps would be the key as I suspected.

Of course bevel setting is the source of the finished edge and I think I will go back and re-introduce the razor to my glass stone. Will try tomorrow and see how it goes.

Honestly I don't care for the Shapton 1k (Pro) on razors. That stone seems to need a little more pressure to do it's best. It's a great knife or tool stone, where you can use some pressure to get it to release the dulled particles. For razors I find the Shapton 2k Pro much faster and freer cutting them the 1k Pro. If yours is the Glass version though it may be different.

Hello again,

I am honing some old Swedish razors these days and I am having trouble putting a decent edge on them. I am convinced the problem lies in my skills and I was wondering how you guys deal with hard steel.

I have honed up really nice edges on Sheffield steel and Chinese steel but with my Heljes I can't get as good a shave. My question is basically if I should use more pressure or just add laps to the progression?

Many things come to mind, from razor design to proportions, to heat treatment, but If it is truly just hard steel you are dealing with , then start with a more aggressive stone to set the bevel, simple as that.

Many things come to mind, from razor design to proportions, to heat treatment, but If it is truly just hard steel you are dealing with , then start with a more aggressive stone to set the bevel, simple as that.

Your skill with the hammer and forge is impressive. When are you going to post a razor? It appears you have some expertise in hardening steel too.

http://youtu.be/D3sA4fmG49I

Last edited:
Top Bottom