What's new

Haberdashery Acquisitions

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Just clicked buy now on Irish Walking hat from Hanna Hat. Dark Grey Charcoal Fleck Salt & Pepper
I wanted one at the start of our winter but this crazy year stopped me being able to buy one, as there was no shipping from Ireland to NZ. It's almost summer here but I got a black Friday sale email and decided to get one while I can as shipping is open again.
Well I'll be ready for when the weather turns cold again.

Capture.JPG

Got myself a pair of Bean Boots in the mail yesterday. I'm not sure how I'll like them overall at this point. Functionally, I'm sure they'll be great. But they look a little funny tightened up around my skinny ankles/legs. Part of me wishes I went with something slip on instead. Any thoughts on how to lace/tie them? Is the "eastland knot" acceptable for a 40yo guy, or is that too "hipster"? I swear I never used to worry about this stuff...

1607606705837.png

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Got myself a pair of Bean Boots in the mail yesterday. I'm not sure how I'll like them overall at this point. Functionally, I'm sure they'll be great. But they look a little funny tightened up around my skinny ankles/legs. Part of me wishes I went with something slip on instead. Any thoughts on how to lace/tie them? Is the "eastland knot" acceptable for a 40yo guy, or is that too "hipster"? I swear I never used to worry about this stuff...

View attachment 1193240
Dude, I see enough 40yo’s with beards and skinny jeans, I think you can tie your bootlaces however you like. Hipster it up!

The oldest department store here, Robinsons, is closing down, after being around for 120-odd years. Partly due to the increase in on-line shopping I guess. I picked up 2 Hackett polo shirts at $40 each, and some chinos for $30. Normally these would be way out of my price range, ticket price on the chinos was $250.

I've been considering a bag of some sort for a while - 2 phones, wallet, credit card holder, keys, office password, all that rubbish and I almost never wear a jacket here so finally took the plunge: from Mont Blanc. It's about 10" x 9" and has a couple of compartments, and in the main one a couple of little pouches and loops for pens etc.. I am still not 100% sure about it but after 2 days no one has been visibly laughing at me(!)
tempImageLmJMQ6.png

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've been considering a bag of some sort for a while - 2 phones, wallet, credit card holder, keys, office password, all that rubbish and I almost never wear a jacket here so finally took the plunge: from Mont Blanc. It's about 10" x 9" and has a couple of compartments, and in the main one a couple of little pouches and loops for pens etc.. I am still not 100% sure about it but after 2 days no one has been visibly laughing at me(!)
View attachment 1227234
Looks good. Used to see a lot of these on trips to Rome.

Back in my NYC days, I used to carry a messenger-like shoulder bag. A lot of guys in the media business did, what with having to often carry big old cell phones, 3/4" video tapes and such, as well as books and newspapers for the day's commute. No way an ordinary attache case could handle that stuff.

Now retired, I'm always reading several books at a time, so these days I carry a tote bag. Nothing frou-frou, just dark cordura nylon. It's just great having a place to stow stuff.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This will not be my last purchase from them, either. I was impressed.
You should be! I too love REAL leather, especially the smell. That looks like well crafted stuff.

My wife and I went on a vacation and ended up in a little tourist trap town with a first rate leather craftsman almost two years ago. I bought a "second" quality phone case that my pants belt loops through. I've been rough on it accidentally at times, and it could use some restitching, but I'll get around to it.

My wife had a tough time deciding between two purses, one traditional, the other is made a LOT like a back pack, and can be worn that way. So she about flipped when Mr Cheapskate recommended she get them both. $800 later hers look even BETTER than they did new. She also bought a checkbook/credit card wallet in that price.

$800 is probably the most money we went "mad" with in nearly 33 years! But I liked that the owner was showing his son how to werk leather, and his wife and daughter were upstairs running the area selling nice heavy belts. AND: he gave us a lifetime repair for free garauntee. Just send anything back forever and he'll fix it.

I also read a google review where someone stated that they had been traveling through his town and stopped at his place and ordered I THINK some custom holsters, I could be wrong. But the owner DROVE TO THE CUSTOMER'S HOUSE and made it right. Something like southwest Indiana to western Ohio. That review is what convinced me to go out of our way to shop there, and it's a memory my wife and I really cherish.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Very nice!

I got my first pair of Redbacks this week. They're my new shop/garden boots

View attachment 1259872
Hope you enjoy them. Redbacks are my go to boot. Cheap and hard wearing yet iconic. I wear mine from workplace to wedding. I introduced a friend to Redbacks recently. She is on her feet 16 hours a day. She thanked me saying they are the most comfortable footwear she has ever experienced.
I hope you enjoy them.

Top Bottom