What's new

***WINNER**Grudge Match: Old vs Old; Thin vs Thick

I've used my Thick Cap contender for the first time, just to have a fair game as I had never used it. I don't want that being "unused" to it might alter the results of the match.

How was the shave, you ask? Well, you're allowed to ask... but I'll comment on it once the Grudge Match begins!!!

:001_rolle

It surprised you, didn't it? :001_smile

I've used my Thick Cap contender for the first time, just to have a fair game as I had never used it. I don't want that being "unused" to it might alter the results of the match.

How was the shave, you ask? Well, you're allowed to ask... but I'll comment on it once the Grudge Match begins!!!

:001_rolle
You tease!

image.jpg
I just received a Single Ring that I snagged on the Bay and it appears to be a thin cap. My Ball End seems to be a thick cap. I'd use these two in a challenge if appropriate.

In the five years I've been using double edge razors I've tried dozens of different models, but these two guys have seen the lion's share of use. I've been on a Fatip kick for awhile, however, and they've been in the cigar box for months.

SDC16304.JPG

The thickness of the ball end cap appears to be greater than 2mm, and the comb is much thicker as well.

SDC16307.JPG

Just on looks, I'm going to have to give the edge to the Single Ring, the ball-end is one of Gillette's homeliest razors.

Didn't have much time the last few days. I will try to start tomorrow or later in the week, whenever I have enough time to not rush it.

Round One:
First, a couple of notes and observations. My first two DE razors were a Wieshi and Ball-End Old-Type. The Wieshi was soon binned, being only slightly more effective at whisker removal than a pencil erasure. The Old-Type was at the other end of the scale, I repeatedly suffered nics and cuts learning to use it.

The Old-Type has a lot more room for play with the blade, and takes longer setting up. The Single-Ring is a quicker set up, and has an adjustable function that I will use in a later post. In this round however, it's tightened all the way down. Both were loaded with new Feather blades.

Old-Type in left hand, always amazed at the efficiency of this razor. One downstroke clears a patch. There is definitely some blade feel. Second pass upstroke and done. Single-Ring, right hand, takes slightly more effort, or pressure. No blade feel. Smoother. Old-Type took more care around the chin, so as not to nic, Single-Ring took slightly more pressure to be effective.

SDC16325.JPG

Efficiency: Old Type Thick
Smoothness: Single Ring Thin
Ease of the shave: Single Ring Thin
Overall experience: I prefer an effective razor, Old Type Thick, but it's close.

The Old-Type has a lot more room for play with the blade, and takes longer setting up. The Single-Ring is a quicker set up, and has an adjustable function that I will use in a later post. In this round however, it's tightened all the way down. Both were loaded with new Feather blades.

Just remember, this was NEVER recommended for the ball-end razor, ONLY double and single rings. And ONLY with the thick, and very stiff, original three hole blades.

New blades are very flimsy and are almost cut in half down the center, and won't provide the spring tension of the old three hole blades. You may even get some blade chatter because the blade will be unsupported if the cap is not tight.

OT thin head = Gillette Bulldog (silver). This is one of my favorite razors. It is so elegant and is a fantastic shaver.
OT thick head = Brownie with a Bulldog handle (ATT) because, well, obviously.
Polsilver Iridium Super blades.
Shave #1
Efficiency: Thick (barely)
Smoothness: tie
Ease of the shave Thick
overall experience: Thin

Winner of round 1: Thick (almost a tie)
I really need to use two shims to make OTs work for me, but shims are prohibited in this Grudge Match. Therefore, neither razor was in any way smooth, but both delivered excellent shaves. The thick is marginally easier to use and the shave was a tiny bit closer.

Today I was able to use the single ring with the thin cap for the first time since it arrived this past week. It was a mix of good and not so good for me. I have to say it was a rough shave. Used Stirling Barbershop with an Omega 10066 and a Voskhod blade. Right away I noticed some pulling. I immediately began focusing on my angle and was met with a little better feel for the first wtg pass. Then during the second pass argue I noticed a fair amount of irritation with a number of weepers. Did my third xtg pass on my neck as usual and really focused on zero pressure. Rinsed off with some cold water and felt some feedback which is unusual. Then when I applied the alum, oh boy did that sting all over my face. At first I was going to blame my lather but I had really taken time with it and it was one of my better lathers. I think it was a combination of angle and too much pressure. It also could have been that it was my first shave with this razor. I also noticed that the thin cap really treated me to a ton of audible feedback as I shaved. This shave was after two days of growth. However, I have to say that once my face settled down and I finished applying the witch hazel, balm and splash, my face had been treated to a DFS and very close to a BBS. I'll wait 2 days again and shave with the thick cap using the same brush and soap and report back.

P.S. I just read the OP and now realize I did not follow instructions. I apologize for that. I'm count this shave as my introductory shave with the thin cap. Next shave I'll follow instructions and provide the appropriate feedback. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:
Well, now I've got time...

I've already performed the three shaves. I like to do it in a row, so I feel the razors better, so to speak... and because I prefer not to have the two razors hanging around for days...:001_smile

Well, first the score cards, then, the explanation

Round #1
Efficiency: Tie
Smoothness: Old Type Thin
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): Old Type Thin
Overall experience: Old Type Thin

Winner of round: Old Type Thin

Round #2
Overall experience: Tie

Round #3
Overall experience: Old Type Thin

I've used Arlington, soap and AS, and three different bruhes, two Paladin, one Semogue, all of them two-band.
The blades were two fresh Feathers.

Well, it's clear for me, the THIN wins... but for a tiny margin.

Both are terrific shavers and I can't differentiate them regarding efficiency: both sides of my face were perfectly shaved... but the first shave showed me the Thick was a bit more "aggressive" as in "I'm noticing it", with obvious blade feeling, thus resulting in a kind of "rougher" experience. Let's consider I'm right handed and curiously enough shaving my right side is... more difficult!

These issues almost disappeared on the second shave... but the ease of the shave was again clearly for the Thin. It seems to run across my face with no effort, while the Thick demands more attention to detail, angle... etc., especially when going ATG.

The third shave (this morning) has been a mixture, but the Thick still feels "rougher" and "more difficult" in comparison to the Thin. On top of it, I've got a couple of tiny weepers on the "Thick side", on the first and third shaves... quite possibly if I had used another make of blade ("smoother"), it wouldn't had happened... As it didn't happen when I first used the Thick a couple of weeks ago.

I had used a Thick cap (ball end) a while ago. It was in fact my first OT and I liked it a lot. Not so the second time, months later... Who knows? But, I must say that since I first tried a Thin cap, I've enjoyed this razor, always! I also must say that there are Thin caps that bite!, while others allow you to tame them... Possibly this Thin is of the latter kind...

Well, here you have my experience, guys. I found yours quite interesting and all this thing confirms what we all know... YMMV!!

Cheers!

Okay, first shave today was Fine AB soap and aftershave with both razors loaded with a brand new GSB blade.
Preliminary: The thick cap felt heavier in the palm than the thin, both seem to have the same thickness of baseplate. Both are ball end razors. I used the thin on the right and thick on the left.

Efficiency: Both are excellent at removing whiskers. The end result on each side was a very smooth, nearly BBS shave.

Smoothness: Neither is super smooth, but i felt some skipping on the thick cap I didn't expect (as it did appear heavier in the palm). Winner here is easily the thin.

Ease of shave: i couldn't detect any angle difference between the two. Both were very easy to find and maintain a good cutting edge and, other than the thick cap skipping on the side of my head, they were both very easy.

Overall--A thin margin to the thin cap since it didn't skip. Just as we did when we did our NEW vs. OLD grudge match, the Old is great at reducing whiskers while the NEW was smoother. Neither thin or thick is an ultra smooth shave. I don't think I'll do three days in a row on these, although I might not need to shave tomorrow!

I'm going to alternate between the two razors for a couple of days before round two. I loaded each with a new Feather before round one, and I think it would be a good idea to let the blades season in a little before continuing.

Top Bottom