What's new

***WINNER**Grudge Match: Old vs Old; Thin vs Thick

proxy.php

I didn't participate in the grudge match, as I was not sure I was smart enough to understand and practice the rules; besides, during April I had an ill-timed personal love affair going with my adjustable razors.

However, I was privately guessing the Thin Cap model would be the winner.

The final results paralleled my experiences with the Gillette Old/Thin Cap razors. The Thin is more efficient, but comes at the price of being more harsh on the face. Conversely, the Thick is more comfortable but not as efficient. And I guess that was the final consensus of our participating experts. That meshes with the general principle that later editions of safety razors almost always are milder than the original.

Cosmetically, I LOVE the looks of both the Thin Cap and the Thick Cap Old Type razors. They look the way "a man's razor" should look. If I were the CEO, Gillette would continue to produce the Thin and Thick Cap razors in limited editions and exotic boxes. But I guess that's not the way corporate money is made nowadays. That would be swimming financially upstream, as the long range money is made on the blades, not the razors.

Life is wonderful. But life is not always sensible. Or fair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom