What's new

Showdown! Two Red Tips: USA vs. England

Recently I picked up a Gillette Red Tip, made in England and I do thank @Dyllern for the beautiful razor. I have had a USA made Red Tip in my regular rotation for some time now and it delivers a great shave. I have read here and there how the Made in England version is somewhat better - now we shall see!

Here are the pics, the Made in England razor is on the left. It has a slightly brighter finish to it as seen in the pictures. I almost wonder if the one from England is chrome plated and the USA is nickel plated. Even the "neck" of each razor is the same tone as the handle.

Each is loaded with a new Feather blade and tomorrow we will get under way with England. I probably won't be using them every day but regularly and alternately for a couple of weeks. Then I can let you know based on my experience if I think there is anything to the rumors.

IMG_9764.jpeg
IMG_9765.jpeg
IMG_9766.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, hope they work great for you. Years ago I scooped up a 1957 (my birth year, ) C1 Heavy Super Speed Red Tip..
My dad confiscated, on the list to get back. Between him and my brother. I anm the local rent a razor...
But hey, they are great ...
Good luck w/ your shaves..
BFX

IMG_9775.jpeg

Razor: England Red Tip
Blade: Feather
Scuttle: Captain's Choice
Brush: Paladin @ChiefBroom
Aftershave: Island Time
Soap: Asylum from @BullGoose

Okay, somebody tell me this was luck. Typical three pass shave with touch up.

I have a spot that is very hard to get nice and smooth. I was only able to when I used straights but that was some years ago. I have a few DE's that do a great job, but often come up short on that one spot under the jaw. Today? Smooooooth like a straight razor ... What the? Really? You must be kidding!

Or am I going to wake up and say, "Darn, it was just a dream."

Tomorrow I see it being the USA Red Tip, so we are going head to head - stay tuned...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I did note one difference in the picture between the two - can you spot it?
Shape of the endcaps. Great pics!

But on Gillette TTO razors the blade should be curved all the way up, tight against the roof of the bomb bay doors, which isn't quite happening on the US model. You'll lose some rigidity and it alters the gap, geometry, angle. Was the knob tight? Doors seem to have a gap. Do they go down a little more if pushed from the top?

Shape of the endcaps. Great pics!

But on Gillette TTO razors the blade should be curved all the way up, tight against the roof of the bomb bay doors, which isn't quite happening on the US model. You'll lose some rigidity and it alters the gap, geometry, angle. Was the knob tight? Doors seem to have a gap. Do they go down a little more if pushed from the top?
Sharp eye, I had not noticed that. Here is a shot from a slightly different angle that shows it better. The knob was snugged down tightly and the doors do not budge when pushed down from the top. In spite of the gap, the blade is firmly in place.

IMG_9783.jpeg

IMG_9786.jpeg

Here is the setup from this morning, guys.

Razor: USA Red Tip
Blade: Feather
Scuttle: Etsy
Brush: @Rudy Vey
Aftershave: Speick
Soap: Henri et Vitoria

Results are good, very good and yet I hesitate... not sure the USA delivers quite the same. It may come up just a bit short, in fact it does but not by much at all. Will go back to the England version tomorrow and update. Going back and forth each day I think will prove out whether there is anything to the notion that they give different results.

Stay tuned...

As an aside, we see the owners of Henri et Vitoria each year at Maggards when they have the trade show. Great guys, not much time for more than a quick greet and visit but top rate in my book.

I'm enjoying the test Cap. I traded for a USA red tip and am enjoying it.

Is it just me, or does it seem as though Gillettes made in England seem to be better shavers that their American counterparts. Can anyone think of an example of the reverse?

Looking forward to the ongoing saga......

Results are good, very good and yet I hesitate... not sure the USA delivers quite the same. It may come up just a bit short, in fact it does but not by much at all. Will go back to the England version tomorrow and update. Going back and forth each day I think will prove out whether there is anything to the notion that they give different results.
There is a difference in blade gap according to the B&B DE Safety Razors Ranked By Blade Gap chart.

The US RT is .73mm and the UK RT is .81mm, although these figures may be disputed.
Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Blade Gap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

I've noticed that my good old 56 US RT shaves very similarly to my 1953 English Gillette Rocket HD.

Last edited:
There is a difference in blade gap according to the B&B DE Safety Razors Ranked By Blade Gap chart.

The US RT is .73mm and the UK RT is .81mm, although these figures may be disputed.
Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Blade Gap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

I've noticed that my good old 56 US RT shaves very similarly to my 1953 English Gillette Rocket HD.
Well, that is interesting...

If it does end up shaving differently that would be the difference it can be attributed to.

I'm enjoying the test Cap. I traded for a USA red tip and am enjoying it.

Is it just me, or does it seem as though Gillettes made in England seem to be better shavers that their American counterparts. Can anyone think of an example of the reverse?

Looking forward to the ongoing saga......
Post war techs (IMO)

Also compare the early TTO solid safety bars. USA Rangers and early aristocrats have an amazing feel. The early safety bar english razors hold their own but it’s a tough one. By the time we got to rockets coming out the English firmly made a smoother razor.

Top Bottom