What's new

***WINNER**Grudge Match: Old vs Old; Thin vs Thick

I'm a sucker for these Grudge Matches. So:
I'm in.
The rules do not explicitly forbid me from picking an OT-thin Bulldog and an OT-thick Brownie. I'll find a handle that makes the Brownie weigh more or less the same as the Bulldog. My reasoning is that my Bulldog is by far my best shaving OT-thin (and I own only one OT-thick).
As the resident OT fanatic, TobyC really needs to jump in and give us the benefit of his expertise!

I'm a sucker for these Grudge Matches. So:
I'm in.
The rules do not explicitly forbid me from picking an OT-thin Bulldog and an OT-thick Brownie. I'll find a handle that makes the Brownie weigh more or less the same as the Bulldog. My reasoning is that my Bulldog is by far my best shaving OT-thin (and I own only one OT-thick).
As the resident OT fanatic, TobyC really needs to jump in and give us the benefit of his expertise!

I don't wan't to influence the outcome of this in any way, I want to see what folks find out for themselves.

I do have one suggestion, since some may be unsure if they have a thick or thin cap razor, is to require pictures of the ends of the razors they are going to use.

Well, I'm no historian, but I think, based on what I've read, that it was to make it more durable and less likely to bend if dropped. It was a rough and tumble world for the working man when these things were made.
True enough. Worth remembering the Single Ring was a very expressive razor which appealed to lawyers not laborers. That only changed with the discounting that came with the introduction of the New Improved. I sold my Old Type so won't be able to partake.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't wan't to influence the outcome of this in any way, I want to see what folks find out for themselves.

I do have one suggestion, since some may be unsure if they have a thick or thin cap razor, is to require pictures of the ends of the razors they are going to use.
By all means, please show us pictures of the two razors that you will be using in this Grudge Match.:wink2:

I'm in, think I'll use Single rings.

Hmmm. My thin cap would be a Pat. Nov. N marked Sr. I believe these were made in the US, but there is no 100% proof. Can I keep it or should I dig out something else?

Adam
Can you post a picture? For some reason I can't picture what you are describing. An OT should have "Made in USA" stamped on the bottom of the base plate.

Gillette, like many other US companies, started putting "Made In USA" on their products to support our guys in World War One. In other words, 1917.

Gillette, like many other US companies, started putting "Made In USA" on their products to support our guys in World War One. In other words, 1917.
Live and learn:001_302:.
I'll have to recheck one of mine. I thought it was a 1913 but I may be wrong.

Glad to see some more people jumping in!

Both of my Single Rings (both 1911) lack the Gillette and made in USA stamp on the base plate.

Not all of them.

This.

In fact, my intention is to use:

- an early SR, either a 1906, made in USA or an early one made in USA for the British market, none of which is stamped.

- a 1920s SR (three-piece) from a Pioneer Olympic set, made in USA (this one it's stamped) for the French market.

:a39:

proxy.php

This.

In fact, my intention is to use:

- an early SR, either a 1906, made in USA or an early one made in USA for the British market, none of which is stamped.

- a 1920s SR (three-piece) from a Pioneer Olympic set, made in USA (this one it's stamped) for the French market.

:a39:

And here we have the two contenders...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Waiting for the match!

I'm in for sure. No clue which thin cap I'll pick. All three 1918s (Bulldog, Single Ring and ball-end) are bowed and I haven't fixed them yet. Will probably go with the ball-end to match my thick cap.

I've used my Thick Cap contender for the first time, just to have a fair game as I had never used it. I don't want that being "unused" to it might alter the results of the match.

How was the shave, you ask? Well, you're allowed to ask... but I'll comment on it once the Grudge Match begins!!!

:001_rolle

Top Bottom