What's new

Grooming Department Absinthe & Leather: Matching your soap with your cocktail

The other day we were in New Orleans and I started the day with a shave featuring Grooming Department Absinthe & Leather soap. This is a great performing shaving soap, rich, creamy and thick with a really nice after shave feel. Interesting scent that I am not confident in describing. Later that day I was wandering around the French Quarter in New Orleans on a Cocktail Tour, sampling the signature cocktail in each of 5 bars. Of course this included the famous Hurricane. Toward the end of the tour, 4th or 5th stop, we ended up in a bar which featured Absinthe which I have never had. What a show! The Absinthe had a green glowing hue with a scent that was somehow familiar. On consumption, the Absinthe circle was complete. On reflection, I would not recommend reversing the process, consuming the beverage then shaving. Although this was not planned on my part, I certainly enjoyed the experience. I wonder how many of you have had a cocktail which matches your shaving soap--a good many I would assume.

I just got this today in the mail, really liked the performance but hated the scent. I love Absinthe and leather scents but this was blunt force trauma to my nose. When I ordered it I was thinking the smell of a new ball glove, or perhaps English Leather, with a hint of Absinthe but it smelled more like a barrel of rot gut in a tannery when I opened the lid :a47:. I didn't even get much of that green fairy scent. I was tempted to just close it up and forget about it but I've heard so many great things about it I decided to try it out. The scent did mellow a bit but I felt a little ill after the shave, which I paired with English Leather.

Scent is a personal thing so I know some might really like this take on this combination, and I'll try to get accustomed to it, but for me it's a clear miss. The worst scent I've ever experienced in a shaving soap, unfortunately since the shave was good.

Toward the end of the tour, 4th or 5th stop, we ended up in a bar which featured Absinthe which I have never had. What a show! The Absinthe had a green glowing hue with a scent that was somehow familiar. On consumption, the Absinthe circle was complete.

1. Welcome to NOLA! Hope you had a great time!!

2. Can you actually get real absinthe (made with wormwood) in the U.S. now, or are they still serving Herbsaint?

3. Got a sample of Absinthe and Leather the other day and it smells great. Very rich, looking forward to trying it out!

1. Welcome to NOLA! Hope you had a great time!!

2. Can you actually get real absinthe (made with wormwood) in the U.S. now, or are they still serving Herbsaint?

3. Got a sample of Absinthe and Leather the other day and it smells great. Very rich, looking forward to trying it out!

Had a great time in New Orleans. What a great City! Following the cocktail tour, we had a really nice dinner at GW Fin. I watched the Chris Owens Easter Day Parade from Tujagues on Decatur. Toured the Garden District. Visited the National World War II Museum--very impressive. We will be back. We also enjoyed other parts of Louisiana--specifically, Grand Isle and Cajun country near Lafayette and New Iberia where we visited the Tabasco factory. We had to cut our planned trip through La. short, unfortunately, to get up to Red Bay, Alabama to oversee the manufacture of our new RV. As I write this we are in the Tiffin Motorhome camping area in Red Bay--the RV will be completed on Monday.

I have the impression that it was not the real absinthe made from wormwood. Is that available elsewhere?

I am enjoying my Absinthe & Leather soap. As I rotate through my soaps I am using each one for at least 3 days in a row and this particular soap stood out for its post shave properties. Grooming Department makes a nice product.

Last edited:
I just got this today in the mail, really liked the performance but hated the scent. I love Absinthe and leather scents but this was blunt force trauma to my nose. When I ordered it I was thinking the smell of a new ball glove, or perhaps English Leather, with a hint of Absinthe but it smelled more like a barrel of rot gut in a tannery when I opened the lid :a47:. I didn't even get much of that green fairy scent. I was tempted to just close it up and forget about it but I've heard so many great things about it I decided to try it out. The scent did mellow a bit but I felt a little ill after the shave, which I paired with English Leather.

Scent is a personal thing so I know some might really like this take on this combination, and I'll try to get accustomed to it, but for me it's a clear miss. The worst scent I've ever experienced in a shaving soap, unfortunately since the shave was good.
Given how the soap performs during and after the shave, it is unfortunate that the scent does not appeal to you. I can see how it might be polarizing with some liking it and some not. As for me, my nose is just not that sensitive. This is the only GD product I have used but judging from the reviews it appears that GD soaps are like that, with some liking them and some not liking a particular scent at all. I believe Angel had some very negative reviews. If you scroll through the soap sample pass around thread, Absinthe & Leather does get a positive review from at least one of the participants.

Last edited:
With regard to the scent of Absinthe & Leather, @bobmsp wrote on page 184 of the Sample Soap Pass Around thread the following (excerpted):
Scent Strength: I like the strength of this (as well as that from the Mallard yesterday). I could enjoy the scent(s) as I lathered and shaved and still get whiffs of the soap a few hours after the shave. Having said that, the scent is not overpowering to me or (I hope) noticeable to others.

Scent Appeal: This is a really interesting scent. (And I don’t mean it in the typical way that Minnesotans often use it: “Oh. That’s um….. interesting.”) From the sample, I get mostly leather, but as I lathered, it opened up to more of a peppercorn, musky and spicy scent before settling down to what I assume is the absinthe note. Over the course of the past few hours, the leather reappeared and I got a combo that seemed similar to Wholly King of Oud. My guess is that no one gets the same thing out of this soap. Very cool.

Given how the soap performs during and after the shave, it is unfortunate that the scent does not appeal to you. I can see how it might be polarizing with some liking it and some not. As for me, my nose is just not that sensitive. This is the only GD product I have used but judging from the reviews it appears that GD soaps are like that, with some liking them and some not liking a particular scent at all. I believe Angel had some very negative reviews. If you scroll through the soap sample pass around thread, Absinthe & Leather does get a positive review from at least one of the participants.

I understand it first hand now lol. I like the soap, other than the lathering time, which I expected with a soap with things like clay and silk, it's certainly a great soap but the artisan really should invest more time in development of his scents. I understand he is a great guy and those who have interacted with him really like him so I will definitely support him and his product in the future, I just hope he figures out the scent aspect of his craft soon lol.

Just a side note, this was the only scent left in the non-vegan formulas at Top of the Chain and I think I can understand why. Overall, I'll tough out the scent but I might experiment with adding a few EOs I have to see if I can improve the scent while shaving.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and happy shaves to you!

With regard to the scent of Absinthe & Leather, @bobmsp wrote on page 184 of the Sample Soap Pass Around thread the following (excerpted):

I wonder if it's because the soap has dried down a bit and isn't as harsh. I might see what happens if I leave the cap off for a bit to see if it mellows out a bit. Considering that I love the Veg, Tabac, and Xpec, I was really surprised to find a scent that I was on the "hated it" side of the divide.

I understand it first hand now lol. I like the soap, other than the lathering time, which I expected with a soap with things like clay and silk, it's certainly a great soap but the artisan really should invest more time in development of his scents. I understand he is a great guy and those who have interacted with him really like him so I will definitely support him and his product in the future, I just hope he figures out the scent aspect of his craft soon lol.

Just a side note, this was the only scent left in the non-vegan formulas at Top of the Chain and I think I can understand why. Overall, I'll tough out the scent but I might experiment with adding a few EOs I have to see if I can improve the scent while shaving.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and happy shaves to you!

Just curious who’s soaps out there do you consider to be well crafted scents?

Just curious who’s soaps out there do you consider to be well crafted scents?

Among artisans I like B&M, CB Stirling, RR, Fine, MW, Jeeves and SS off the top of my head.

I like a good range of scents from complex cologne to simple and traditional. I'm not very picky to be honest but I've noticed some of the artisans just drop a few EOs into their soaps and don't seem to really try to nail it down so that it fits with the soap's natural scent. I've made my own AS so I know it's not as straightforward as it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried Prohibition Style Soaps? They seem to be getting good reviews and they are alcohol based scents, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one but not sure which would be a good scent.

Top Bottom