What's new

Grocery store bread

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There are a few brands of bread that are not bad here. The plain sliced white loaf is for the masses and the quality is not the best.

For a change of pace from toast I've been enjoying these.

Quality-Bakers-English-Muffins-Spicy-Fruit-Splits.jpg

Disclosure: I've a nephew in a management position for a baking company.

That's not why it's been years since I've baked bread. The issue is time and heat. Bread making takes four hours of my time from start to finish, including clean-up. Due to the heat, I didn't bake from late spring to mid fall.

We're not choosy when it comes to bread. We're supposed to use whole wheat, and, with apology to a certain nephew, we don't use his company's brand much. The issue is price. The bread I used this morning came from the dollar store.

I don't get upset about corn syrup in bread. First, we're dealing with a carbohydrate, anyway; second, I strongly suspect loaf bread originally used a sweetener other than sugar; and third, I don't know how much the yeast doesn't consume. Supposedly the yeast you buy at the store tends to prefer sugars over starches. As to additives ... shrug. I'm neutral. It's not like a certain company (not affiliated with a nephew) who used wood cellulose to make a high roughage bread until the word got out (said bread is no longer on the market).

FWIW, different commercial bakeries have different bread flavor. Back when I baked, the flour had a huge effect on flavor, and suspect that's the case here.

We generally buy the bread from the store bakery rather than the pre-packaged stuff. Sometimes we splurge and get special sourdough bread from one of the farms on my road.

As for stuff like wonder bread it’s been a few years since we’ve had it.

We’ve talked about making bread but haven’t gotten into the habit yet.

If I eat bread, it's Pepperidge Farm 15 Grain. It has 3 grams of fiber per slice. It's full of whole grains. It's soft. It tastes great. It may have a bit of sugar but I'll take a little sugar in return for the grains and fiber. I don't eat white bread anymore.

I'm on a fiber kick so I've been getting Arnold whole grain (different varieties) when my store has it BOGO. I put one in the freezer and one in the fridge. It stays 'fresh' for a long time. The slices are a good size. One piece of toast with honey is my morning routine now. And coffee, of course.

Very occasionally buy bread from the supermarket here: it's a local brand and baked here presumably from imported ingredients (almost nothing is grown in Singapore, no land!). It's OK if I fancy toast, and they sell half sized loaves with about 8 slices so most gets eaten over 2-3 days.

When we are in France however, that's different! Even the supermarkets bake pretty decent bread, but if we find an open boulangerie we will always get a baguette or two.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't eat bread very often any more, and white bread even less. There is, however, one spot where regular white bread will never be replaced (in my life, at least)- left over turkey sandwiches. The best thing about Thanksgiving are those sandwiches.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I was going to say never but still buy some buns. To me it is dismal for sandwiches or toast. The last time I purchased white bread was due to an er yeah unpleasant medical inspection. I had two slices and decided I'd rather starve. (there were better options on the list)

We have been buying bread made at the supermarket we go to, Stop & Shop. We just buy sourdough bread since it is the healthiest bread you can eat. Something about the sour-dough is good for you. Bread is high in carbs and is not really good for you to eat a lot of it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was going to say never but still buy some buns. To me it is dismal for sandwiches or toast. The last time I purchased white bread was due to an er yeah unpleasant medical inspection. I had two slices and decided I'd rather starve. (there were better options on the list)
Buttering a bun and slapping it on the grill with the burgers takes buns to the next level.

My bread machine had a number of recipes, this one is particularly easy, light on components and better, has a unique flavor. We have defaulted to making it our house bread.

510g King Arthur Bread Flour
2 T Olive Oil
3 T Sugar
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp dried Bazil
1 1/3 C of water
2 tsp bread yeast

Works well in a 2# loaf bread machine. I could see it very easily as a bloom, mix, hand knead and bake in a loaf tin.
simple, savory, pretty healthy.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Man, I havent had white 'Wonder Bread" since I was a kid in the 70's. I do remember my parents going to this sometime in the early '80s...

Today, we don't eat a lot of bread so when we do we get the Ezekiel sprouted grain bread

As a kid white Wonder Bread was too expensive so it was cheap house brands and not always white, the occasional special loaf like a rye or other grain, raisin bread would sometimes come home with us.
dave

Unfortunately, you can only eat a tomato sandwich with soft white bread. It's the law of the Hills.

So, this thread spurred our family into baking bread on Sundays. It’s slowly becoming a tradition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Growing up we didn't eat Wonder bread. Mom said it was a sin. So we ate Mrs Bairds white bread instead. Same sin but sounded less of a sin.

Top Bottom