What's new

Greetings from Lake Michigan

Welcome aboard!

Remember that traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes awhile to develop. Well worth the effort!!

Put em aside. In a year they may be okay once you gain experience. Meanwhile, Astra SP is probably a better choice.
^^What Mac said!

First, welcome! We're always glad to have another member aboard. Second, technique, absolutely. Third . . . my beard isn't coarse, but it seems many guys here who have coarse beards absolutely lean toward sharper blades. I haven't used Derby Extra (yet--have some trial blades) but I have used Derby Premium and liked them.

The Astra SP is almost the unofficial baseline for getting a quality shave while not spending a bunch. Maybe try a couple of those first to see if they do a better job on your beard than the Derby's then, once you'v nailed down your technique try the sample pack route!

That never entered my mind until yesterday, but I sure believe it today.
Welcome aboard!

Remember that traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes awhile to develop. Well worth the effort!!
This is becoming pretty clear to me...... who'da thought shaving could be this difficult. I'm giving it a couple days off to heal up and get some different blades.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I have lot's of reading to do to get up to speed, but I think it's all here!

I made a silly mistake of reading that the Derby blades were great for beginners, so now I have a box of 99 :)

Maybe I can use them for scrapping old paint off the windows :)

+1. I bought 100 Derby Extras in a fit of panic at the beginning of my re-introduction to DE shaving, but before joining B&B. I hated my only shave with them, but now see the pain as resulting from poor technique (primarily harsh/inconsistent angle and an abundance of pressure, but also poor prep and lather). I had a "lucky" shave with a Gillette Silver Blue and exclusively used these blades as I worked on my technique with the Merkur 34C & 37C. I found the GSB to be sharp, smooth and forgiving. I have since settled into pairing Feather Blades with the Feather AS-D2. All this to say: although the Derby Extra is probably a very fine blade, I have no interest in giving them another shot. When can I put these up as a PIF?

As far as advice is concerned, remember: this painful era shall pass and will eventually contribute to your appreciation of a well executed shave. Let your face heal for several days (I have found Medihoney to be a great product for accelerating the healing of irritated skin) and take note of the direction of your stubble's growth. Find products that work for you and stick with them as your develop your technique. Take your time, be cognizant of how hard you are gripping the razor and the angle you bring the blade to your face, and don't be afraid to ask for help: the members of B&B harbor benevolence rarely seen on the internet and there is no shortage of advice to be found on the forum.

+1. I bought 100 Derby Extras in a fit of panic at the beginning of my re-introduction to DE shaving, but before joining B&B. I hated my only shave with them, but now see the pain as resulting from poor technique (primarily harsh/inconsistent angle and an abundance of pressure, but also poor prep and lather). I had a "lucky" shave with a Gillette Silver Blue and exclusively used these blades as I worked on my technique with the Merkur 34C & 37C. I found the GSB to be sharp, smooth and forgiving. I have since settled into pairing Feather Blades with the Feather AS-D2. All this to say: although the Derby Extra is probably a very fine blade, I have no interest in giving them another shot. When can I put these up as a PIF?

As far as advice is concerned, remember: this painful era shall pass and will eventually contribute to your appreciation of a well executed shave. Let your face heal for several days (I have found Medihoney to be a great product for accelerating the healing of irritated skin) and take note of the direction of your stubble's growth. Find products that work for you and stick with them as your develop your technique. Take your time, be cognizant of how hard you are gripping the razor and the angle you bring the blade to your face, and don't be afraid to ask for help: the members of B&B harbor benevolence rarely seen on the internet and there is no shortage of advice to be found on the forum.

You can post a PIF anytime. :)

Samplers are great. I found very quickly that I did not care for Derby blades (along with some others) but the Astra SP, PolSilver Super Iridium and Feathers were much better. Fav DE shave is a Feather blade in a Feather razor. Now about SE :001_302: let the acquisition disorder begin again.

Samplers are great. I found very quickly that I did not care for Derby blades (along with some others) but the Astra SP, PolSilver Super Iridium and Feathers were much better. Fav DE shave is a Feather blade in a Feather razor. Now about SE :001_302: let the acquisition disorder begin again.
Ditto on the Astra's and Polsilvers. I still prefer Personna Platinum Super SS over Feathers on my beard. I have dense, but fine beard hair with sensitive skin. Feathers are a little rough for me. Maybe some day. I'm still only 2 years into DE shaving but absolutely loving it.

Top Bottom