What's new

Greetings from Lake Michigan

I'm an old fart (69) that never learned how to shave so I've kept a beard most of my adult life. The few times I did shave (except for boot camp :) the razor burn/rashes/pimples were so bad that I'd just grow the beard back. I have used electric razors, triple bladed store bought's and never found anything that worked without leaving the area between my lip and chin a mess. That brings me to the Merkur 33C that I just used for the first time, but I am very disappointed. After 3 passes I feel like I should get my old stuff out to clean up because it was definitely not a clean shave... still lots of stubble (although it was a 3 day beard.) I read somewhere the Derby blade was good for beginners but I wasn't getting anywhere so I put the Merkur blade in that came with the razor, still wasn't cutting it. It's probably in the angle I'm holding it, but I thought I'd better leave well enough alone. Almost afraid to see what I created in the morning. My problem area will probably be a mess.
Anyway, I thought I'd check in here and do some reading.

Merkur 33C
Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush

First of all, welcome and GO BLUE!

My first shave, in retrospect, sucked. Not a clean shave, missed everything behind the corner of my jawbone on both sides, etc. This is something that will take some practice, so don’t fret about your first outing.

You may also need what would be considered a sharper blade, especially if your facial hair is coarse. I would suggest continuing with the Derby blades for a few more shaves, while you improve your technique. If they don’t seem to be cutting it, I would think about a sampler of different blades. They can be found on Amazon, and they include a few blades from multiple manufacturers.

First of all, welcome and GO BLUE!

My first shave, in retrospect, sucked. Not a clean shave, missed everything behind the corner of my jawbone on both sides, etc. This is something that will take some practice, so don’t fret about your first outing.

You may also need what would be considered a sharper blade, especially if your facial hair is coarse. I would suggest continuing with the Derby blades for a few more shaves, while you improve your technique. If they don’t seem to be cutting it, I would think about a sampler of different blades. They can be found on Amazon, and they include a few blades from multiple manufacturers.
I sure will consider some different blades Gryffindor....... and I appreciate that suggestion. After a couple hours I just tried again on a small area with no luck.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, thanks for checking in. I would think about getting a blade sampler pack and you might find a blade or two that you enjoy. @Gryffindor suggestion is a good one.

Welcome! Have not been to the Island since 1978. It was almost off the grid back when.

More prep, less pressure, better angle. And don't keep going over the same spot, sir.

Lots of shaving videos....

Welcome to the forum!

You might also check out the wiki on shaving angle. It will take a bit of practice to get your technique dialed in.

Still a noob after months but all I can say is keep practicing, look for advice on the '4 week method' saw it mentioned a few days ago. For me, I started on the Astra SP blade, still like them and they are sharp enough whilst still forgiving.

I'm an old fart (69) that never learned how to shave so I've kept a beard most of my adult life. The few times I did shave (except for boot camp :) the razor burn/rashes/pimples were so bad that I'd just grow the beard back. I have used electric razors, triple bladed store bought's and never found anything that worked without leaving the area between my lip and chin a mess. That brings me to the Merkur 33C that I just used for the first time, but I am very disappointed. After 3 passes I feel like I should get my old stuff out to clean up because it was definitely not a clean shave... still lots of stubble (although it was a 3 day beard.) I read somewhere the Derby blade was good for beginners but I wasn't getting anywhere so I put the Merkur blade in that came with the razor, still wasn't cutting it. It's probably in the angle I'm holding it, but I thought I'd better leave well enough alone. Almost afraid to see what I created in the morning. My problem area will probably be a mess.
Anyway, I thought I'd check in here and do some reading.

Merkur 33C
Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush

I'm going to recommend a Schick Krona or Gillette Superspeed with a Astra blade plus Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap and Sea Breeze as an after shave. Either will cost $10-15 at auction.

Now for the method to my madness. Those razors were the norm when you were old enough to shave. They are an "everyman's" razor which provide an effective result. The Astra blades are sharp and comfortable at 9 cents each. The VDH soap contains glycerin. Glycerin attracts water as does the Sea Breeze.

Keep your lather well hydrated. It does not need to look good as much as be good. Another option is shaving in the shower. The point being is moisture makes the shave.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I have lot's of reading to do to get up to speed, but I think it's all here!

I made a silly mistake of reading that the Derby blades were great for beginners, so now I have a box of 99 :)

Maybe I can use them for scrapping old paint off the windows :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I have lot's of reading to do to get up to speed, but I think it's all here!

I made a silly mistake of reading that the Derby blades were great for beginners, so now I have a box of 99 :)

Go ahead an use them. I used generic grocery store blades for decades.

Put em aside. In a year they may be okay once you gain experience. Meanwhile, Astra SP is probably a better choice.

Top Bottom