What's new

GPS for my car?

Which GPS unit would you guys recommend for in the car? I have been looking at the Dash Express as well as the Garmin Nuvi 350 and Garmin Nuvi 750.

The Dash Express has the two way internet communication and great traffic reporting.

The Nuvi 350 is a nice price and seems easy to operate and transport.

The Nuvi 750 has the nice big screen.

Let me know your thoughts!

The TomTom ONE looked like a good one. It is a reasonably priced unit that looked easy to use.

Consumer Reports recently did a feature on GPS that you might want to check out.

I recently got a Garmin 260W for my birthday that I love. This model doesn't have the ability to download real time traffic conditions (like the Nuvi 350) but I don't do a lot of in-traffic driving. If that is a requirement for you look elsewhere. Good luck.

Popular Mechanics just finished testing 5 units. It's in their June 08 issue. The Tom Tom GO 920 T won the battle. I believe the Garmin NUVI 760 was at the top of the CR list. Both are about the same price and same size.

Can you customize the voice system for each brand and get celebrity voices? I'm holding out for James Earl Jones myself.

If you like to venture into the outdoors you could consider a model that you can also take with you. Best - MM

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This is an easy one. About a year and a half ago, I was agonizing over this exact same decision. Then I decided to do the simplest and most effective thing-

I asked Nick. Problem solved.

By the way, he recommended a Nuvi 350, and I couldn't be happier (although it's much harder to leave Mrs. Ouch out in the boondocks now). they're much cheaper now, too.

I was thinking about the same thing, but I ended up with a GPS Phone (Nokia 6110 Navigator). Its convenient, because I have GPS with me everywhere, in whatever car I drive. It comes out of the car with me so I need not worry about it being stolen.

My old boss moved to Dash not to long ago. I got to play with one in his car and it rocks!

Basically you buy the unit and pay a nominal fee every month, but you have up to date maps, traffic and ratings of resturants etc. It is a little pricey but it is quite hefty in person, so it doesn't feel like it is going to break if it takes a fall off the windshield.

I was thinking of blowing my stimulus check on one myself :biggrin:

I've used a nuvi 350 for over 2 years. I don't have any experience with other brands.

One feature often gets overlooked in these discussions: the ability to easily remove the GPS unit from plain view to prevent theft.

I go at least 2 new places every day courtesy of this fun device. Just as often, I unclip it from my dash and slip it into my pocket. I still own it. Not bad.

Since I use my GPS for multiple purposes, I have a hand held unit with a dash mount, the Garmin 60CSx. For street navigation only consider dedicated dash mount units. Although I'm a Garmin fan, my brother loves his Tom Tom, which is a very nice unit complete with live traffic updates and cell phone capabilities.

Top Bottom