What's new

GOTD- Green of the Day

Ujeon is a Korean green tea that is made from the first pluck. Only the very first bud - leaf sets are used. Dong Cheon is one of Korea's high end tea makers. The method that he uses to make his teas is called "Jeong Cha" a technique that has it's roots in China but is seldom used anymore. Jeong Cha is the "kill green" stage in tea making. Jeong Cha involves quickly submerging the freshly picked leaf in near boiling water to stop the oxidation of the leaf. The more common method is to heat the leaf in a large wok to stop the oxidation. Jeong Cha also is different in that the leaf is throughly dried and shaped all in one step in the wok. The more common method is to partially dry the leaf, take it out of the wok for shaping and rolling, back into the wok, back out etc. This is done typically for four to five times before the leaf is finnished. The end result using the Jeong Cha is the tea has much more depth of flavor and aroma.

This Ujeon is very expensive, 10, 3.3 gm. packets in a deluxe canister will set you back $60.00. Yep, 33 gms of tea for $60.00! But this stuff is absolutely delicious. This tea was donated to "Tea Goober" by Tea Trekker, my all time favorite vendor for China greens.

View attachment 123466

View attachment 123467

Just look at those leaves! Perfection! Brews up a cup with the most beautiful silvery, golden color.

View attachment 123468

The brewed tea is decadent, such clarity. If you really, really love green tea and want to taste some of the best this planet is capable of growing then I guess $60.00 isn't all that much. The flavor is delicately vegetal, slightly sweet with cherry blossoms and very tender pine. Nope, not kidding, cherry blossoms and pine. This is something I would only buy for special ocassions. That is assuming it were available, it's very, very rare to see this tea in the states.

View attachment 123469

Korean teas are much more durable than China or Japanese greens, many, many infusions to be had.

Last edited:
Man that tea looks divine!!!! I am so envious of your shiboridashi, looks like you put it to alot of use :thumbup1: I hope my new wares from Petr can be half as nice.

Yuuki-Cha's Yabe Supreme

Reporting in on this because I learned of the vendor in this thread. The sencha traveled FAST and tastes very good--sweet and balanced.

2010 Meng Shan Yun Mu -

Quite subtle...but nice. This is only my second session. I need to dial it in a bit more.

really tea high right now drinking my daily uji cha

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Love that pic of the Asa leaves, Ambrose!

Had some asa myself today, Shin-Ryoku from Den's. Very decent for the price. Buttery with vegetal undertones and some light astringency.

After a very long hiatus, had my first jasmine green tea in a long while. Was a gift from a co-worker. Light, green and jasmine-y. Not a bad change after a long shengpu stretch.

Some long lost matcha reappears, and tastes pretty good for having been lying around for nine months, thanks to Yuuki cha & the double lidded tin.
proxy.php

Looks like I'll be unusually perky in the morning over the next few days.

Ordered a little of Master Luo's Long Jing this afternoon and got a reply within an hour and a half saying it had been shipped. I'm more excited than an excited thing's excited bits. Which may also be due to the matcha :w00t:

Last edited:
This was my green of yesterday but I think that still counts. 2010 Spring Handmade Imperial Shi Feng Long Jing. This was superb. As some background for those that are not familiar:
Shi Feng Long Jing (dragon well) is the highest quality among all the Longjings from the Zhejiang province.

In China, there is a territorial divide between Shi Feng Long Jing, Mei Wu Longjing, Xi Hu Long Jing and Zhejiang Long Jing.

Shi Feng Long Jing refers to the teas are from Shi Feng mountain, Longjing village and Weng Jian Shan village. Mei Wu Long Jing refers to Wu Xi, Mei Jia Wu villages. Xi Hu Long Jing refers to the Longjing is growing in the Xi Hu areas, excluding the Shi Feng areas and Mei Wu areas. Only the teas above can be named as Xi Lu Long Jing in general. And Shi Feng Long Jing is the best in its aroma and taste.

Zhejiang Long Jing refers to the Long Jing teas that are from other areas in Zhejiang province.

This Shi Feng Long Jing is the pre-Qingming Long Jing, all made by hand, extremely fresh with an outstanding chestnut aroma, and a wonderful thick, sweet taste. In addition, the tea bush is the old bush from ancient stock, not the new bush that is called Long Jing No. 43. The taste of the tea from the old tea bush is thicker with more infusability.

Master Luo's Long Jing

wow

This is what I've been looking for. About 6 years ago I went into a newly opened tea shop and whilst having some tea the owner let me taste some of the top grade long jing, she stocked over 20 varieties of long jing and that tea was her passion, that was pretty much the moment I went from loose leaf tea drinker to incredibly fussy tea pedant. The shop shut, the owner moved to Malaysia and I've had quite a few long jing's from the net since. None matching up to the stuff from that little tea shop. Until today.

I can see why people often say they prefer the cheaper long jing's - more fruity, lively, crisper. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people.

Personally this stuff is as much about the feeling as one drinks as much as it is about the flavour, although I'm also taking a trip down memory lane with each sip.

Really glad I found this. Not cheap but a little pack once a year or so won't hurt, hopefully they will have it ongoing.

This and Tim's jin jun mai have made this a tea year to remember.

If it sounds like I'm gushing and being over the top, good. That's how I feel.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom