What's new

Got my new scuttle, shaving bowl.....how ever you want to call it. Do you use one?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have more of a makeshift setup currently but it works. Warm lather rocks. Tempted to pick up a proper scuttle now.

Beauty! I have an old "French White" 500 ml soup mug, with a generic china sugar bowl in it. I go to the samovar every morning I'm going to shave and fill the mug to heat it up, then dump that water into the sugar bowl, put some more hot water in the mug, dump out the bowl and seat it in the mug. I lather homemade soap puck in an old coffee mug, then pour the lather into the faux scuttle for building. First layer is a little thinner and cooler, subsequent applications nice and hot with thick lather.

I picked them up one day at the Sally Ann, cost me I think all of $3.00. Tempted to buy a real scuttle but haven't found one with comparable value and utility yet. [grin]

IMG_0380[1].JPG

I prepare my lather in a 10 year old discarded yogurt container. Irish Spring and Dove soap scraps reside in the bowl from which I prepare fresh lather for each shave. Works well

Last edited:
il_794xN.2853477310_ncid.jpg

One of my shaving bucket list items is now in the mail to me!

I check on eBay semi-regularly for any of these and the few times I've found them they were sold already or WAY expensive.

Did a search today with no luck but decided to Google it and an Etsy listing popped up and was at a good price so I grabbed it!

Can't wait to try it out. I've always thought even if I don't love using one of these I would love to have one in my den, but I bet I'll get that stupid happy grin every time I use it!

il_794xN.2853477302_il95.jpg

I face-lather and mostly use a synthetic brush now, which doesn't require pre-soaking. So I use my PA unbreakable scuttle mostly to mix baking soda with water to rinse my teeth after brushing, and once in a while to pre-soak my boar or badger. In its early days I tried bowl-lathering some soap samples, or a mix of a cream and Barbasol, but not so much any more . . . but I'm glad I have it.

Top Bottom