What's new

Got my new scuttle, shaving bowl.....how ever you want to call it. Do you use one?

Mine looks like this

Black-Shaving-Mug-1.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Scuttles were a hot item when I first joined B&B in 2011; everyone, it seemed, had to have one (including me). Now, not so much.

That said, a scuttle is great if you like warm lather--especially in winter. Me. yeah, I like warm lather, but I'm a procrastinator. Every winter I put off digging out my scuttle (a Robert Becker) until it's suddenly spring. One of these days I'll get around to dusting mine off in some timely manner.

Yours looks particularly handsome and practical. Do enjoy it!

I have a question in regards to the scuttles. Does the surface between the two layers of pottery where the water goes get slimy / moldy etc over time if it doesn't completely dry out, esp in winter. I would have thought it hard to get all the water out between the two layers and that some water would sit in there for ages? Any thoughts?

I REALLY like that white one. Where did you get it from and are they expensive?

Thanks. I like how the bowl is small. Perfect for face lathering. The larger Dirty Bird gets used when I want to bowl lather.

The Seto-Marujyu is vintage. Not sure of the era. They rarely come up for sale. I do not recall how much I paid for mine. They range in the $65-$85 range depending on condition. I have seen a few with worn lettering and let them slip by. When I saw this one, I picked it up without hesitation.

I have also seen this Japanese style mug offered by vendors. I do not recall the exact vendor but it was a small, off the wall, website.

Had enough of my makeshift bowl in a mug set up and finally got a proper scuttle. Had my first run with this it this morning and it’s much more effective.
That scuttle, from that angle, looks like it has vertical sides and possibly the lip folds in; does the brush handle knock on that lip?
I do enjoy the lather from a scuttle.

Its finally ready...my new scuttle or bowl...how ever you want to call it as it"s 3 in 1.....lol....can't wait to try it out. Do you use one? If so post up a pic or 2......View attachment 1085979View attachment 1085980View attachment 1085981View attachment 1085983

That's made the bolt cropper list, that is beautiful Dean,!!! Enjoy my Friend....

I have more of a makeshift setup currently but it works. Warm lather rocks. Tempted to pick up a proper scuttle now.
View attachment 1086077

Somebody has nicked your cold water spout, but I like that idea

That scuttle, from that angle, looks like it has vertical sides and possibly the lip folds in; does the brush handle knock on that lip?
I do enjoy the lather from a scuttle.
The bowl is a very strange design. I was skeptic all but it works great. Fairly shallow and flat with a horizontally returned lip. Very unique and very effective.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
I have a dirty bird scuttle. I love it. I use it as a bowl in the warm months and scuttle in the winter. It was ridges inside the bowl part that really help produce a lot of lather. They used to be big on B&B. I'm surprised I'm the first to mention Dirty Bird.

Top Bottom