What's new

Gillette SS TV Special 1954 & 1958 Differences

If someone can post a clear picture comparing the two razors side by side would be appreciated and even throw in a 1950's SS would be over-the-top. I have seen the picture comparing the 1958 TV to the 50's & 60's models but have not seen a 1954 doing the same. If you could post a pic or a reference would be grateful to assist in my thirst for knowledge on this fascinating hobby. Seems the more you know the more you see you don't!!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have pictures of both of mine in my Gallery, if I have time I can try and dig them up.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This is not a great picture. The 54 is on the left. The 58 on the right.

[/URL]

The 54

[/URL]

The 58

[/URL]

Regular Flare Tip and 58 TV to compare knurling.

[/URL]

[/URL]

The two 58's are not the same razor. The one in the side by side pic is near NOS, the one above is user grade, but shows the knurling.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the zifference between the 40s style from that year, and the regular they were selling during that year? Just the case? Or did they stop selling that style during 54 (z) as in are there (z) stamped 40s styles that weren't "TV specials"?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
So what's the zifference between the 40s style from that year, and the regular they were selling during that year? Just the case? Or did they stop selling that style during 54 (z) as in are there (z) stamped 40s styles that weren't "TV specials"?

It was the Z3 and Z4 and the case. Gillette did a re-release for the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. All 40's style Super Speeds produced in the last two quarters of 1954 are classified TV. A Z1 or Z2 is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom