What's new

Gillette Single Rings with British Patent Numbers

R

romsitsa

I've been delivered a new Brit-Pat example, somehow strange though.

The condition is sad, but it's cost me GBP8, plus shipping, so...

The case exterior is almost totally lost. The interior shows the script logo and is in not much better condition. The cardboard blade safes are a mismatch. It comes from England.

The razor might clean-up nicely, yet I'm afraid there's some plate loss.

There's no logo at all. No diamond, no GinD, no nothing. And no serial number either.

But it's got BRIT.PAT.Nº 28.763 of 02 on the outer barrel, above the knob.
And BR.PAT. no 2876302 on the upper part of the inner barrel.

Hmm.... I can't find any other example like this on the chart we're making here. Maybe it's a terribly messy mismatch...

Any comments?

Hello,

the outer and inner tubes are most probably missmatched. The very interesting part is that it should have the serial on the comb, so was it also replaced or did the worker forgot to stamp it?
Is there any trace of a comb replacement?
Any markings on the top cap?

Adam

Hello gentlemen.

My first Single ring found in Serbia, where I live too.

Serial number on outer barrel: F 253738

PAT.NOV.15.04.N on inner barrel

Gillette diamond logo on cap (underside) and baseplate (upperside)

G in D sqare

Patent information on the case

no arrow in the logo

Pics after cleaning:

IMG_20170223_131352_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_131432_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_131921_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_132309_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_132516_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_132541_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_132608_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_132649_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_132749_resize.jpg
IMG_20170223_133024_resize.jpg

Add it to the Wiki please.Thanks.

Cheers!

Hello,

the outer and inner tubes are most probably missmatched. The very interesting part is that it should have the serial on the comb, so was it also replaced or did the worker forgot to stamp it?
Is there any trace of a comb replacement?
Any markings on the top cap?

Adam

Thanks, Adam.

No number on the comb, even after a proper clean-up and polishing (I'll post photos, of course). And I also shall look for traces of a replacement.

Another detail that's attracted my attention is that the inner barrel seems to be a tad "shorter" so it's (unusually) tighten just after a couple of turns; that might well prove a mismatch too. But the bolt of the top cap doesn't seem to have been used with a longer inner barrel... soooo.... Hmmmm...

Watch this space, more soon.

Hello gentlemen.

My first Single ring found in Serbia, where I live too.

Serial number on outer barrel: F 253738

PAT.NOV.15.04.N on inner barrel

Gillette diamond logo on cap (underside) and baseplate (upperside)

G in D sqare

Patent information on the case

no arrow in the logo

Pics after cleaning:

View attachment 772573 View attachment 772574 View attachment 772575 View attachment 772577 View attachment 772578 View attachment 772579 View attachment 772580 View attachment 772581 View attachment 772582 View attachment 772583

Add it to the Wiki please.Thanks.

Cheers!

Very nice example, indeed! Congrats!

Have you (will you ever) shaved with it?

R

romsitsa

Hello,

just browsed Achims site looking for a 1906 razor, while noticing, that there are two G marked SR-s, sorry if this topic was discussed earlier.

This is the "British", G5031, with no 0 dividers (Nr. 1):
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1906-08 British Old Type.JPG

But also found this example with Pat.Nov. stamp and a six digit code starting with G (Nr. 2):
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1905 Gold Single Ring from Mark Spencer.jpg

I'm wondering if Gillette used G for gold plated Single rings before the A series went into production? (It looks like they did)
Or are those two above G markings different?
Is G5031 a very early US produced razor for the British market?
I can't fit a six digit G code into the 1905-6 dating system, so how was this "early" G code used?
Was it a seperate run of razors or every razor got a continous date code and gold plated ones received a further G stamp? (Looks like the second method was used)

Thanks for your inputs

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it a seperate run of razors or every razor got a continous date code and gold plated ones received a further G stamp? (Looks like the second method was used)

Adam,
Years ago there were several threads discussing these razors and, while such discussions are only speculation, the general opinion was that the G series of that time designated a Gold razor and had the continiuous serial number but with the G prefix. There was also some opinion that the G later came to also include "special order" razors, but as always, these opinions were also based on speculation.
Cheers, George

R

romsitsa

Hello George,

nice to hear from you, and thanks for your input. I'm wondering about the serial of G5031.
If it's a really early gold version, then it shouldn't have the script box and metal blade banks. On the other hand its serial has no zeroes, like British ones, so it's more likely to be a US manufacture from the time when A or B was used as a prefix. But this also doesn't make too much sense to me.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Turned out very nice Juan.
I can't make out any trace of a comb swap, so the most logical explanation would be that this is an early US (Brit.Pat. marked) handle/head and the serial was on the inner barrel.
After the thread wore out, the owner replaced it with another barrel from a razor that had the serial on the comb and patent info on the inner barrel.

Adam

Turned out very nice Juan.
I can't make out any trace of a comb swap, so the most logical explanation would be that this is an early US (Brit.Pat. marked) handle/head and the serial was on the inner barrel.
After the thread wore out, the owner replaced it with another barrel from a razor that had the serial on the comb and patent info on the inner barrel.

Adam

Thanks, Adam.

Yes, there's apparently no swaping, so that appears to be a most logical explanation. On top of it, the inner barrel seems to be a tad short, as even if it screws perfectly, you only need a couple of turns.

Now at work, but I'll remember to measure the inner barrel... I remember you were asking about different lenghts regarding inner barrels (you are always measuring things...:001_rolle). Maybe that magnitude could help?

R

romsitsa

Hello Juan,

I don't have enough samples at hand, and don't know which Brit.Pat. razors are truely British made, so I can't make any comments on the inner barrel.
All I can add is that one Brit.Pat. razor I have is definitely shorter than others, with a shorter inner tube.

Adam

Hello Juan,

I don't have enough samples at hand, and don't know which Brit.Pat. razors are truely British made, so I can't make any comments on the inner barrel.
All I can add is that one Brit.Pat. razor I have is definitely shorter than others, with a shorter inner tube.

Adam

Thanks, Adam.

Hello George,
nice to hear from you, and thanks for your input. I'm wondering about the serial of G5031.
If it's a really early gold version, then it shouldn't have the script box and metal blade banks. On the other hand its serial has no zeroes, like British ones, so it's more likely to be a US manufacture from the time when A or B was used as a prefix. But this also doesn't make too much sense to me.
Adam

Best guess at this stage is that it was from the A or B era, and would have had the A or B prefix which was replaced with a G while retaining the number sequence.
Cheers, George

I acquired this razor recently, from Spain. It is a 1916 Single Ring, #D26356, and obviously made in the U.S. for export to Britain (or elsewhere).

DSC00287.JPG DSC00275.JPG DSC00278.JPG DSC00285.JPG DSC00281.JPG

I also acquired this #461B combination set. It is obviously a double stamped British made set, #F30391, however the case does not have the diamond logo on the bottom, as I believe it should. Could someone fill me in on this?

Thank you,
Kevins-l1600.jpg s-l1600 copy 2.jpg s-l1600 copy 3.jpg s-l1600 copy 5.jpg 10_m.jpg

This set arrived yesterday, from an E-bay seller in Italy.
It is a British set, with serial number H107639, and has
the typical double Diamond and Arrow logos.
I will replace the blade box with a proper one....
The British collection is growing!

Cheers,
Kevin

DSC00793.JPG
DSC00795.JPG
DSC00801.JPG
DSC00805.JPG
DSC00806.JPG

R

romsitsa

Amazing set. Why would you swap the blade bank? I like how it shows the age. And if all parts are present, it could be repaired.

Adam

Top Bottom