What's new

The "Razor X" Prototype

Is this the same handle as the 39' popular?

No, the knurling pattern on the Populars were slightly different. This one is identical to the OC Aristocrat's just on the thinner handle.

The 38' Sheraton has the un-notched center bar

None of the pre-WWII razors had notched center bars. That didn't happen till 1948.

The change in the Sheraton head that I'm talking about above was it going from this:

$1937 Sheraton.JPG

to this:

$shera17_zps58e34adb.jpg

Thanks for the follow up and photos, Rick. Just a few questions/comments:

The latest patent that's there, US1956175, was filed in 1933 but it wasn't issued until April 24, 1934. Since the final number of the patent isn't assigned until it's issued they wouldn't have been able to mark that number until after that point.

If I'm following you, that means '33 is out as a begin date and it moves to '34. Correct?

That Sheraton you've got there has the later "Senator-style" spider assembly. When I first launched it used the style that's basically the same as the OC Aristocrat and this new model. So I doubt very much that the one you've got there is actually a 1937. As far as I know, we're not sure when that change happened, but just judging from the overall proportion of examples of each that I've seen I would guess that it was later in the Sheraton's run than earlier -- something like early or mid 1939 would be a very rough guess. That's assuming, of course, that it was a single hard cut over.

I did NOT know that. Thanks!

The overall profile of the head is much more similar to the lower-profile Aristocrat head than the Sheraton's. The doors also seem to sit higher off the guard plate just judging from that side view, which would also tie into the relatively short throw to open it fully.

As near as I can tell, they seem to sit about eqaul in the full closed position. Their carriages also travel up at just about the same height before the doors being open; however, where it takes Razor X only half a TTO turn for the doors to being to open, it takes the Sheraton 1.9 turns to do the same. My thought is the center shaft threading on Razor X is coarser than the Sheraton, which would account for less rotations required.

It's also interesting that the guard bars seem to be completely smooth, without the "non-skid tread" that Gillette touted as a feature when they first released the Techs.

You are correct; the guard bars are smooth. I noticed this as well, but failed to mention it. Thank you for pointing it out...good eye!

Is this the same handle as the 39' popular?

To be sure, they are very similar; however, the lines between the barber pole stripes on Razor X look to be much deeper than the Popular. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.

Could this be a prototype of a 39' US Sheraton with the British popular (or US Crat) style handle. For whatever reason the Brits changed the popular handle but the US didn't. What you have could be the unsuccessful US prototype.

Edit: or a step between the OC Sheraton and the SB Milord with the 39' popular handle.

That's as good a theory as mine, but I have to then ask: What accounts for the external transverse arm connection? Why would Gillette seemingly go "backward" in style and design? To me - and I could be mistaken - the external connection is a significant feature when dating this razor.

The change in the Sheraton head that I'm talking about above was it going from this:

View attachment 538872

to this:

View attachment 538875

As I said on my other reply; I was unaware of this difference in the Sheratons. Many thanks for posting the pics. The external transverse arm connection on the real '37 Sheraton would seem to contribute to my theory of this being a Sheraton prototype design; however, the Sheraton pictured seems to have indented or dimpled pivot pins whereas Razor X's are flush. I'm not sure how much, if any, significance to attach to that.

I am not an expert by any means so I yeild to those who actually know things. I was just thinking that if there was a transition in the British market it would make sense that this could have been pitched as a US model. I wasn't even saying it was a Popular handle just that the style was the same. As a one of a kind proof of concept model could they ha e used parts they had on hand. This would account for the older arms.

That's a great piece of history Rick. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Now thanks to Porter I realized I've got another type of Sheraton to add to my collection. Stupid RAD.....

Top Bottom