What's new

Gillette Single Rings with British Patent Numbers

Adam~

By "running parallel", do you mean that "E" "F"and "H" may indicate a specific production line? An identification of a machine, rather than part of a year code? This makes much more sense to me in this situation.

Thank you for the insight!

Cheers,
Kevin

R

romsitsa

Hello,

I just think the marking change was implemented on all (known) date code lines at a given (same) time. What the letters represent is a mistery. More knowledgeable members suggested that the letter codes could stand for countries, where the razors were shipped to.
We need way more examples, or someone who can locate the British factory archives...

Adam

Hello gents. Someone suggested I post some pics of my most recent razor acquisition as it seems I scored a British Single Ring. It is my third Single Ring but I have to say, it is my best one by far. The two US single rings shave pretty much the same as each other but the new one provides me with a much smoother shave with far less flex in the blade. And it shined up extremely nicely. So here are some pics for you.

IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG

Hello gents. Someone suggested I post some pics of my most recent razor acquisition as it seems I scored a British Single Ring. It is my third Single Ring but I have to say, it is my best one by far. The two US single rings shave pretty much the same as each other but the new one provides me with a much smoother shave with far less flex in the blade. And it shined up extremely nicely. So here are some pics for you.

View attachment 788153 View attachment 788154 View attachment 788155 View attachment 788156 View attachment 788157 View attachment 788158

Well done! As I've told you elsewhere...

You might like to post some details here, like the serial number, logos, patent info, etc.

If someone else is handling the updating of the form here is the info that would go in the form:

Full Serial Number: F281405
Location of Serial Stamp: Outer Barrel
Location of Patent Stamp: None
Patent Stamp Type: None
Diamond Logo: One under cap and one on top of baseplate
D Inside G Stamp: Square (?)
Owner: Mntnman62
Location Found: Sofia, Bulgaria
Link: ?
Remarks: NOB

This is photo heavy, so I will split this in half.... Part One - Razor .... Part Two - Case
This arrived in todays mail. I bought it at auction, from an antique dealer in France....
It is a Single Ring, with serial number F378644, with the PAT. NOV. 15. 04N stamping.
It also has the typical Diamond under the cap and on the top of the comb guard. Also,
the "G inside a square" stamping.
The case is not like any Gillette case I have seen. Perhaps made by the store where the
razor was purchased, or more likely from some other make of razor. I hope someone can
I.D. it for me.
Cheers,
Kevin
.DSC01369.JPG DSC01394.JPG DSC01383.JPG DSC01389.JPG DSC01396.JPG

R

romsitsa

Hello Buick,

I saw one or two German razors (iirc) in such cases. Can't remember the brand, but they were Sr clones and had a Mercedes type emblem on the lower handle (three lines in a circle).

Adam

Thank you Alex and Adam ~

The hinges are identical to those used in the A.B.C. sets, however are slightly
larger. I was wondering if this was possibly the illusive French Gillette. Either
made in England, or the U.S. for England (depending on which theory you believe),
and then cased in France.... again either by the dealer or Gillette.

Everything about the case fits the razor like a glove, and the wear patterns on the
interior are consistent. However nothing, other than the razor, says Gillette or has
any other markings at all. The razor is very well worn, but the case and the accompaniments are like new..... but I have seen this many times in other sets,
where the razor was used daily, and the other items only when traveling, if at all.

The accompanying blades are French, but this should be expected because the razor
was located in France when purchased.

Cheers,
Kevin

R

romsitsa

Off topic:

There is a similar case on a Hungarian site, but it has purple liner. The little "feet" on the bottom of the case, the soap/brush tins and the blade banks are not similar to anything Gillette produced.
ABC hinges are more rounded like a "butterfly", this hinge has straight sides.
Some German cases are 100% identical to late Gillette 460 cases (without stamping on the bottom) except for the Gillette emblem on the liner.

Adam

I am totally confused, my new set has the Gillette style butterfly hinges, and no feet.... or do you mean that the Hungarian set has them? As for the hinges, it is possible that Gillette bought these from some hinge manufacturer.
And if so, any other razor company could, as well....

Cheers,
Kevin

Adam~

I think you have found a case made by the same company, whoever it may be....
The only differences I can find are:
Mine has a smooth bottom, without feet
Mine has a two rivet latch, while theirs has only one rivet:
DSC01373.JPG

This is a close up of the hinges on my case:
DSC01374.JPG

This is an A.B.C. hinge:
s-l1600-5.jpg

You are correct, the hinges on my case have a somewhat straighter left and right side.
There is no doubt that the case in Hungary is from the same manufacturer.....

Thank you so very much for locating it!

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi Gents! Here's another:
Serial E242296
Diamond logo on inside of cap and on top of baseplate.
Be.Pat.No2876302 around top of inner tube:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It will benefit from a bit of a clean up too!

IMG_7823.JPG
IMG_7824.JPG
IMG_7825.JPG
IMG_7826.JPG
Managed to snatch these photos of a Single Ring with G in Square logo from a guy who was showing me this set - apparently it was bought in France but that's all he knows...

The Paris case really makes this a unique set! Not to mention the excellent condition that it all appears in. Do you know the serial number of the razor? The fact that this is a velvet lined signature case dates it after late 1906, and the metal blade boxes, if original and not replacement, did not appear until 1908. What a wonderful set for your friend to have in his collection....

Cheers,
Kevin

Top Bottom