What's new

Gillette Silver Blue

I'm happy to report that my second shave with a GSB this morning was just as smooth and uneventful as the first, barely even felt the blade on my face. Shave number three, which is always a crapshoot using a Feather blade, is on deck for tomorrow.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I admit I'm cheap, but I think some folks have a "set" number of uses for a blade in their head. I'm willing to let the blade tell me. I get a minimum of 6 shaves from a GSB, but when it is done, it is DONE, just like any other blade. I will switch blades mid shave if it is time.

I'm in the exact same boat this week. Had been using Gillette Wilkinson Sword for about 3 months. Most I could get was 3 shaves. Tried silver blues starting last Sunday and just got my 6th shave with it this morning and it's still smoother than the Gillette Wilkinson Sword fresh out of the package. Don't think I'm going to push it any further, though.
Why are you going to throw it away after you said it was still smoother than your previous blade fresh out of the package? Use it until it starts tugging, then throw it away.

I get around 10 great shaves on a GSB and could probably go a few more. The moment I feel a slight tug, out it goes. The next time I use a GSB, I’ll push it a little more and see how many shaves I can do with one.

I absolutely loved the GSB when I tested it. It is however, for me, not the sharpest, or the smoothest. But without a doubt, overall, it’s a great shave!

FarmerTan

I get around 10 great shaves on a GSB and could probably go a few more. The moment I feel a slight tug, out it goes. The next time I use a GSB, I’ll push it a little more and see how many shaves I can do with one.
On this current blade, I proved just how cheap I am! It tugged somewhere around shave number 20, and I switched from my birth quarter Tech to my RR German 37 slant, or whatever it is called. Used it for just one shave and it was awesome. Went right back to the Tech and it has been smooth sailing ever since!

Why are you going to throw it away after you said it was still smoother than your previous blade fresh out of the package? Use it until it starts tugging, then throw it away.
I ended up not tossing it and got 7 on it before it started tugging a little bit. Very impressed.

On this current blade, I proved just how cheap I am! It tugged somewhere around shave number 20, and I switched from my birth quarter Tech to my RR German 37 slant, or whatever it is called. Used it for just one shave and it was awesome. Went right back to the Tech and it has been smooth sailing ever since!
I’ll pull out a GSB blade once I’m done with my Astra and give it an endurance test to see how far I can go with it.

Btw, people call me cheap, but instead I consider myself frugal.

My third shave on a GSB this morning was just as smooth as the first one, it keeps cutting like it was fresh out of the wrapper. I wish I'd tried these blades sooner.

FarmerTan

My third shave on a GSB this morning was just as smooth as the first one, it keeps cutting like it was fresh out of the wrapper. I wish I'd tried these blades sooner.
Lol, then you'd just have less money.

Just saw this thread and I realize that the previous post is 4 months old. But just used GSB blade for the first time after 8 year of safety razor use. Not sure why it took me so long. These are great blades. Have to say though that I rarely go beyond 3 shaves with any blade.

FarmerTan

Just saw this thread and I realize that the previous post is 4 months old. But just used GSB blade for the first time after 8 year of safety razor use. Not sure why it took me so long. These are great blades. Have to say though that I rarely go beyond 3 shaves with any blade.
I've got a GSB with over 40 shaves on it. I'm giving it a rest while I check out some others. The last shave was as good as the second. Weird blade.

I only found these blades to be meh. Glad you enjoy them tho.
I know. Blades especially seem to be a personal thing. What's good for some is not so good for others. I've used Astras, Voshkods, Wilkinsons and Personna Blues. All of which I saw others really liking. But all those were less than stellar for me. They sit in the back of my cabinet and will probably never get used again.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I forgot about your chart. Im going to give the black 7s a try
The best part of the 7 Oclock blacks are they are great razor blade right on the first shave and then they slowly become duller, most blades are sharp and a little rougher than the 7Oclock blacks on 1st shave. It's hard to describe such a tiny sense of change but it will let you know the Smoothness and reasonable sharpness. Blade is good for about 4-5 shaves I found with my beard type.

We musta married sisters! I'm on shave number 38 with a GSB! Thing just won't die.

38 is amazing. I went to 30 once as an experiment. Shaves 20 to 30 were noticeably less smooth but still acceptable.

GSB is by far my favorite blade.

FarmerTan

I just checked. I've got 43 shaves on that GSB. I put it back in it's sleeve. The last shave was as good as it's second. The first is ALWAYS less comfortable than the rest, but still good. I think most guys that use a blade only once are doing themselves a disservice, and don't even realize it.

Top Bottom