What's new

Gillette Silver Blue and Silver Blue Stainless

I started my test of the Gillette Silver Blue Stainless this AM and this blade feels different that the Silver Blue I just finished with. It compares more favorably with the first shave I got from the Nacent. Is the Silver Blue and the Silver Blue Stainless the same blade? My silver blue came in the blue/white wrapper, the stainless came in the translucent paper with black writing.

That's a really good question, @Kent Kimmons. GSB's are my baseline that I compare other blades to. I haven't tried the Stainless version yet.

+1! Indeed!

As usual, Grundi has it right: St. Petersburg GSBs are ‘top-tier’ for me too!! Fortunately, I have a good stash.

I have nothing more to add as I have yet to try the stainless. So many blades, so little time!! :popc::popc:

Blade are like picking favorite Chicken Joint, many choices.

Popeye's

KFC

Churches

Chick-A-Fillet

Bet there are more than are only regional joints. Not on my list.

Like everything offer in many brands, folk have favorites.

lasta

Blade Biter
As far as I know, all Silver Blues are labelled Silver Blue Stainless!

Gillette logo changed in 2009 (circle -> square i), but packaging using the old logo continued into the mid 2010s.

As for old vs new, I'm still on the fence. Been using the old double wrapped ones since ~2014, only recently tried the new ones.

I'm inclined to comment that new and old have a slightly difference grind pattern under the loupe, but on my face, the difference is not very prominent.

It was in a sample pack. The wrapper was translucent white paper with black inking on the stainless. If memory serves, the first one was in a blue/white wrapper.

The GSBs with ink marking are the older version. The more recent ones are laser etched. There are some of the older ones still around as new old stock. All GSBs are stainless, the packaging changed in the update.

lasta

Blade Biter
The GSBs with ink marking are the older version. The more recent ones are laser etched. There are some of the older ones still around as new old stock. All GSBs are stainless, the packaging changed in the update.
I haven't seen an etched GSB yet! Even the new single wrapped ones are printed.

OK, @lasta should know, and he says the GSBs are not laser etched (yet).

I checked my stash and they look to be the older version with the double wrapping. Good blades. So, I guess the way to tell the difference between old and new is whether they are double wrapped or single wrapped.

lasta

Blade Biter
OK, @lasta should know, and he says the GSBs are not laser etched (yet).

I checked my stash and they look to be the older version with the double wrapping. Good blades. So, I guess the way to tell the difference between old and new is whether they are double wrapped or single wrapped.
Double wrapped or circle vs square "i" in the Gillette logo.

Top Bottom