What's new

Gillette Silver Blue (Review)

I have a clone of the Merkur Future, and the first time that I shave with it I loaded a GSB, and it was an awesome experience, I’m hitting my head on the wall, what did it take 30 yrs to try wet shaving?

I have used a single blade straight razor, for about 30 years, but mostly to trim and shape my mustache.

I really don’t know if I want to try a different blade, since it was effortless, I didn’t get any nicks, cuts or ingrowns.

I’m a convert to Wet shaving and a fan of GSB

My favorite modern-day blade. Smooth, sharp and lasts for three BBS shaves against my coarse, dense beard. I've tried just about every brand out there, too

Would you mind posting your source at $15? I’m looking to purchase. I, like many of you, have settled on the GSB after trying many others. My second best was probably Astra, followed by Voskhod. I cringe when I see people praise the Personna Reds. That was the only blade I ever tossed without even finishing the first shave. Like everything else, it’s a YMMV game.

I know this thread is now going on past 6 years, but GSB's are available on ebay for $15.49/100 if anyone wants to grab some now. When I first tried the blade, I felt like the razor was not even loaded...then I messed up my neck with touch ups because the blade's feel made me over confident. Still probably the best blade I have tried so far.

Not saying they are the best, I doubt there is a such a thing, accounting for individual preference. But I have never had any better overall.

I wanted to throw this little review into the mix and ask if anybody knows how I might be able to wrangle me some of these bad boys!

I recently found a single Gillette Silver Blue blade in my medicine cabinet still wrapped neatly in it's wrapper. It was left over from the "From Russia with Love" blade PIF last year. I know how much appreciation I have for any blade bearing the Gillette name, I was curious to see how it would perform. So I loaded it into my 1970 gold Super Adjustable. My current favorite blades are Gillette Super Platinum (Russian) and Gillette Thins made in Brazil. I honestly didn't think there existed a finer edge so I was totally unprepared for just how incredible this Silver Blue performed.

I noticed from the very first stroke just how unbelievably smooth this blade was. It was almost like shaving without a blade at all! I was still enjoying the smoothness of this blade when I started my second pass (XTG and ATG). As I finished the first pass, I noticed I had no problems at all getting a DFS with just the first pass! Areas I normally have to carefully go over many times with other blades only needed minor attention with the Silver Blue. I am simply stunned at the sharpness of it while still being smooth as silk. It's like the perfect Feather!

I have used this blade three mornings in a row now and these shaves have been the most magnificent, nick-free, irritation-free and closest yet. I sure wish I knew where to get more of these discontinued blades. I am extremely sad to say goodbye to my one and only Silver Blue blade.

I hope somebody found this review helpful.
theres an auction on ebay that has these if you still like them........13.84 for 100

Question about price and quality, I am pretty much in love any Gillette from Russia, what is the most expensive Gillette blade in the market right now ? price are all over the place on ebay or amazon, I think it may be GSB ?

so the GSB is the second ? the Rubie is a good blade, the same with Gillette platinum
If you are looking for the most expensive, period, then I think the Brazilian Platinum Plus is the top of the heap. Looks like the starting cost for them, IF you can find them, is around .89 per blade. They are excellent blades but not worth that price. (I bought a huge amount of them before the price went up!)

so the GSB is the second ? the Rubie is a good blade, the same with Gillette platinum

No, the blue & white box Platinum would be the 2nd most expensive IMO. The rest depend on the current vendor deals on sites such as Ebay & Amazon as well as other various vendors. In the end buy what works best for you. Buy a tuck of each to try.

A much under appreciated blade, IMHO. I've tried nearly 50 varieties of blades and I think Silver Blues rank right up there with the best of them. A while back (maybe 3 months or so ago) I saw a special on them (RBM) and bought 100. I'm glad I did and I suspect these will probably disappear from the market altogether in the not too distant future. If you love em, you might consider buying a quantity now even at $38/100 that's not a bad price for a blade so good, and one which you might not be able to buy at all in the future.

They are currently $17.49 for 100 on Amazon. I'm another fan of GSB's. I tried several blades and then decided to make the jump to Feathers. They were sharp but harsh to me. I then tried the GSB's after reading some reviews. They gave me the same BBS shave I was getting from the Feathers but were way smoother. They have been my goto blade for about a year now.

They are currently $17.49 for 100 on Amazon. I'm another fan of GSB's. I tried several blades and then decided to make the jump to Feathers. They were sharp but harsh to me. I then tried the GSB's after reading some reviews. They gave me the same BBS shave I was getting from the Feathers but were way smoother. They have been my goto blade for about a year now.
This thread was brought back current because I found the gsb for 13.84 for 100 on ebay

Top Bottom