What's new

Gillette Platinum (Russian)

1CF61064-68B3-4664-BE5D-52577EA86D61.jpeg
DACE71DC-D45C-4549-A89E-4EF261DFC6B2.jpeg
First shave with Gillette platinum, not impressed, above average in my book of blades.
Not as sharp as Gillette Black and BIC
Not as smooth as GSB and Polsilver
More aftershave irritation than normal. Will see how it performs in consequent shaves.

View attachment 990039 View attachment 990038 First shave with Gillette platinum, not impressed, above average in my book of blades.
Not as sharp as Gillette Black and BIC
Not as smooth as GSB and Polsilver
More aftershave irritation than normal. Will see how it performs in consequent shaves.

I just got these same blades from Maggards which look different than the Gillette Platinums I’m used to. The ones I’ve always used say “Gillette Platinum” in dark and bold letters, whereas the ones I have now say “Gillette Platinum” in clear like the ones above me. Ordinarily I wouldn’t care, but these didn’t seem to shave nearly as well as the other ones. Does anyone know if there’s a difference between the two? Because if there is, I’d like to sell them. Thanks.

I just got these same blades from Maggards which look different than the Gillette Platinums I’m used to. The ones I’ve always used say “Gillette Platinum” in dark and bold letters, whereas the ones I have now say “Gillette Platinum” in clear like the ones above me. Ordinarily I wouldn’t care, but these didn’t seem to shave nearly as well as the other ones. Does anyone know if there’s a difference between the two? Because if there is, I’d like to sell them. Thanks.

proxy.php
proxy.php

These are two different blades although they share the same name.
In my experience the "Navy Blue" Platinums (first pic) are sharper but somehow harsh, the "Light Blue" Platinums (second pic) are not as sharp but a lot smoother.
Also the new "Light Blues" last longer by a wide marging (6 VS 10-11 shaves). I definitely prefer the new Platinums.

Since late 2018 the "Navy Blues" incorporate an Arabic writing as, per P&G global domination plan, they are now marketed for the Gulf States markets (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, etc.).
The new "Light blues" are the new flagship blades for Western Europe markets. Also, if you happen to see the King C. Gillette blades, bundled with their new razor, those are probably "Light Blue" Platinums rebranded (they feel the same to me).

Talking about Platinums, I recently used one NOS Platinum "Whites" (sold until a few years ago in France, Spain and Italy) and they are very close in terms of smoothness and longevity. I would risk to say the new "Light Blues" are produced following the same specs of the old "Whites".
I'm also reiterating the "Navy Blue" Platinums are not in the same ballpark, a completely different blade. I'm not saying they are inferior, it's a YMMV thing. They are just different, just like comparing a GSB and a Perma-Sharp.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Platinum Whites & Platinum Light Blues

In my opinion, the "Whites" and the "Light Blue" are the natural descendants of the legendary "Swedes", I also used a Platinum "Swede" recently and I could feel the heritage in the "Whites" and the "Light Blues" even if the latter two still are a pale imitation.

Not sure why people keep keep talking about the "new" Light Blues and the "old" white box Platinums. These are the same blade, made in the same factory, that carry the same EAN (UPC) number. When Gillette did a redesign of the packaging/laser etching of all the Russian blades about 2 years ago, this product's package changed from white to light blue. No reason to believe there was any change in the blade itself.

Also, the Gillette Platinum Navy Blue version with Arabic writing has been sold since at least 2015.

Not sure why people keep keep talking about the "new" Light Blues and the "old" white box Platinums. These are the same blade, made in the same factory, that carry the same EAN (UPC) number. When Gillette did a redesign of the packaging/laser etching of all the Russian blades about 2 years ago, this product's package changed from white to light blue. No reason to believe there was any change in the blade itself.

Also, the Gillette Platinum Navy Blue version with Arabic writing has been sold since at least 2015.

The White Platinums have been out of production for a few years to be reintroduced at the end of 2019, at least that's when I first saw them on sale by the Bulgarian seller on the Bay. In the meantime they may have slightly changed the specs or the source of metal used, nobody knows for sure. EAN (UPC) number 3014260596989 identifies the product but doesn't guarantee they are the very exact same blades. They probably are because, as I have already stated above, they feel the same to me.
On the other hand, the "Navy Blue" Platinum EAN (UPC) number 3014260252144 is clearly a different blade. I remember seeing the Arabic writings only since the end of 2018 when P&G changed the packaging of every blade produced in St. Petersburg PPI. Probably I've missed the previous change or maybe the blades I've bought were old stock. I've checked your link and actually they were around in 2015, with slightly different graphics.

proxy.php
proxy.php

In my experience the "Navy Blue" Platinums (first pic) are sharper but somehow harsh, the "Light Blue" Platinums (second pic) are not as sharp but a lot smoother.
Also the new "Light Blues" last longer by a wide marging (6 VS 10-11 shaves). I definitely prefer the new Platinums.

Since late 2018 the "Navy Blues" incorporate an Arabic writing as, per P&G global domination plan, they are now marketed for the Gulf States markets (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, etc.).
The new "Light blues" are the new flagship blades for Western Europe markets. Also, if you happen to see the King C. Gillette blades, bundled with their new razor, those are probably "Light Blue" Platinums rebranded (they feel the same to me).

I’m still confused honestly. The blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I’ve been getting for years...the one on the right is the one I just got from Maggards which doesn’t seem to be working nearly as well. They both came in what appears to be the same packaging. My question is what is the difference between the two? I want to make sure I’m only getting the ones with the “Gillette Platinum” in all dark from now on since they give me such a better shave. I’m honestly so confused.

Attachments

• 11FC6318-0782-481F-B717-950819A8C6D9.jpeg
    11FC6318-0782-481F-B717-950819A8C6D9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m still confused honestly. The blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I’ve been getting for years...the one on the right is the one I just got from Maggards which doesn’t seem to be working nearly as well. They both came in what appears to be the same packaging. My question is what is the difference between the two? I want to make sure I’m only getting the ones with the “Gillette Platinum” in all dark from now on since they give me such a better shave. I’m honestly so confused.
You have me intrigued. I was recently given some of both of these. I will most definitely try them both my friend. Happy New Year!

I’m still confused honestly. The blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I’ve been getting for years...the one on the right is the one I just got from Maggards which doesn’t seem to be working nearly as well.

Also the blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I've been getting in recent years. They are plenty available and I suggest you to get a 100 pack, Connaught sells them at $19 Gillette Platinum , RBC at $ 20 Gillette Platinum , but you can get them cheaper on the bay.

They both came in what appears to be the same packaging. My question is what is the difference between the two? I want to make sure I’m only getting the ones with the “Gillette Platinum” in all dark from now on since they give me such a better shave. I’m honestly so confused.

They surely shave differently. The variant you like is sharper, the other is smoother. The two are produced using different specs. Two different blades in Gillette's vast Russian catalogue that happen to share the same name in different markets.
The packaging, well it looks different enough to me in order to spot which is which. Dark blue frame with Platinum written in silver is the one you want. White lettering on light blue background is the one you want to avoid.

Also the blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I've been getting in recent years. They are plenty available and I suggest you to get a 100 pack, Connaught sells them at $19 Gillette Platinum , RBC at $ 20 Gillette Platinum , but you can get them cheaper on the bay.

They surely shave differently. The variant you like is sharper, the other is smoother. The two are produced using different specs. Two different blades in Gillette's vast Russian catalogue that happen to share the same name in different markets.
The packaging, well it looks different enough to me in order to spot which is which. Dark blue frame with Platinum written in silver is the one you want. White lettering on light blue background is the one you want to avoid.

I greatly appreciate the advice, but if I click on the link you sent me, it looks like the Gillette Platinum blades they offer are the clear ones which are the ones I’m trying to avoid. At least it looks like it is in the photo they provide. I don’t understand why they make two different blades under the exact same name ha...so unnecessary

I greatly appreciate the advice, but if I click on the link you sent me, it looks like the Gillette Platinum blades they offer are the clear ones which are the ones I’m trying to avoid. At least it looks like it is in the photo they provide. I don’t understand why they make two different blades under the exact same name ha...so unnecessary

Haha I understood the opposite, I thought you liked those the best...
Updated link: Platinum "New"
These are also commonly available on Amazon in 50-blades packs.

The White Platinums have been out of production for a few years to be reintroduced at the end of 2019, at least that's when I first saw them on sale by the Bulgarian seller on the Bay. In the meantime they may have slightly changed the specs or the source of metal used, nobody knows for sure. EAN (UPC) number 3014260596989 identifies the product but doesn't guarantee they are the very exact same blades. They probably are because, as I have already stated above, they feel the same to me.
On the other hand, the "Navy Blue" Platinum EAN (UPC) number 3014260252144 is clearly a different blade. I remember seeing the Arabic writings only since the end of 2018 when P&G changed the packaging of every blade produced in St. Petersburg PPI. Probably I've missed the previous change or maybe the blades I've bought were old stock. I've checked your link and actually they were around in 2015, with slightly different graphics.

The white/light blue have been available continuously, never discontinued. The packaging simply changed from white to light blue. Of course it is possible that, coinciding with the change in the colour of the packaging, they changed the blade itself for some reason. But I don't see any reason to automatically assume that the change of the box colour means anything beyond just that. Having used both, like you, my opinion is that the blade remains unchanged.
Haha I understood the opposite, I thought you liked those the best...
Updated link: Platinum "New"
These are also commonly available on Amazon in 50-blades packs.

And think I might be able to clarify the confusion here - Mata I think you are assuming that Scottsm124 was referring to Gillette Platinum Navy Blue and Gillette Platinum Light Blue when he said "The blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I’ve been getting for years...the one on the right is the one I just got from Maggards which doesn’t seem to be working nearly as well" However, Scottsm124's post contains 2 sets of pictures, the upper set he was quoting and lower set he posted himself. He was referring to the lower smaller pictures, which show two Gillette Platinum Navy Blue blades, but the one on the left uses an ink stamp while the one on the left is laser-etched.

Is that correct Scottsm124? And regarding the difference - Gillette started using laser etching on all their Russian blades more recently (though it seems sporadic, and some still appear with ink-stamping apparently).

The white/light blue have been available continuously, never discontinued. The packaging simply changed from white to light blue.

I thought they were out of production because they disappeared from retail shops in Italy around 2016 only to be available again in the new packaging in 2020 (but I bought them on the bay in late 2019).

And think I might be able to clarify the confusion here Mata

It often happens that I make a mess or confuse things :302:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Not for Western European markets. For European markets. The back of the card has more than 20 languages. Eastern European as well. The light blues are the only available P&G blade in Eastern Europe now. 2 years ago the dark blues and the Polsilvers disappeared.

The white/light blue have been available continuously, never discontinued. The packaging simply changed from white to light blue. Of course it is possible that, coinciding with the change in the colour of the packaging, they changed the blade itself for some reason. But I don't see any reason to automatically assume that the change of the box colour means anything beyond just that. Having used both, like you, my opinion is that the blade remains unchanged.

And think I might be able to clarify the confusion here - Mata I think you are assuming that Scottsm124 was referring to Gillette Platinum Navy Blue and Gillette Platinum Light Blue when he said "The blade on the left is the version of Gillette Platinums I’ve been getting for years...the one on the right is the one I just got from Maggards which doesn’t seem to be working nearly as well" However, Scottsm124's post contains 2 sets of pictures, the upper set he was quoting and lower set he posted himself. He was referring to the lower smaller pictures, which show two Gillette Platinum Navy Blue blades, but the one on the left uses an ink stamp while the one on the left is laser-etched.

Is that correct Scottsm124? And regarding the difference - Gillette started using laser etching on all their Russian blades more recently (though it seems sporadic, and some still appear with ink-stamping apparently).

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused now ha. So does that mean that they are the same blades and that Gillette just recently started producing only the clear ones? I only ask because they shave very differently in my opinion. The dark ink ones feel a lot smoother on my skin and it feels a tad heavier while the other ones feel sharper and slightly "flimsier" I guess you could say-which doesn't produce a very satisfying shave for my skin type. I really just want to be able to get the dark inked ones that I've been using for the last two years and I have no idea where to find them considering they're both called "Gillette Platinum" with the same looking packaging. Without a retailer/vendor providing photos of the actual blades, I have no idea of definitively knowing one way or another which one I'm purchasing which is ultra frustrating.

Top Bottom