What's new

Gillette old - change to thick cap

I feel certain this question has been answered here, but I have not been able to find any reference. When did the Gillette old type change from the thin cap to the thick cap style? TIA for responses!

1921, when they introduced their new model, the New Improved. All Old Types made after that have thick caps.

Here's a great picture showing the different versions (thank you Achim)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Is there any way to know what year a thick cap OT with no date stamp was made or is "1920s" as good as it gets?

Mine is definitely a thick cap, ball end, but there is no date anywhere on the razor...

Hi,

My Grandfather's OT is a 1921 Thin Cap, and it has a serial number on the baseplate to date it. N641273. According to the chart, 1921 was
N459887‑N999999. And, I am unsure about the All Nines there. I suspect we do not know the actual last number used. But, they didn't go beyond that, for sure.

I also had a later Thick Cap OT, and it had no serial number. All it had was a 1921 patent date on the handle (vs the 1904 patent date on the Thin Cap handle).

Stan

1921, when they introduced their new model, the New Improved. All Old Types made after that have thick caps.

Here's a great picture showing the different versions (thank you Achim)

proxy.php

Thanks Edgar - I think I had seen this before, but could not find it again when I tried.

Hi,

My Grandfather's OT is a 1921 Thin Cap, and it has a serial number on the baseplate to date it. N641273. According to the chart, 1921 was
N459887‑N999999. And, I am unsure about the All Nines there. I suspect we do not know the actual last number used. But, they didn't go beyond that, for sure.

I also had a later Thick Cap OT, and it had no serial number. All it had was a 1921 patent date on the handle (vs the 1904 patent date on the Thin Cap handle).

Stan

And thanks Stan - so is it correct to say that they changed the cap thickness the same time the Pat. date changed on the handle, or is that only an approximate time frame?

[MENTION=71834]KQY61[/MENTION]

AFAIK there's no 1921 patent. The OT patent dates from 1904 in the US and 1905 in Canada. The New Improved patent is JAN 13 1920, and that patent was never used on OT handles.

NEW handles OTOH do have the 1920 patent as it refers to the channels behind the combs which is a feature shared by New Improved and NEW razors.

Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me but I always see a difference in the base plates as well. The thin cap base plates seem thinner with less curve to them.

Also I have a Ball end handled OLD made in Canada with thin cap and the base plate is narrower than any other I've seen. The ball is smooth without knurls. It's a really smooth comfortable shaver.

proxy.php

@KQY61

AFAIK there's no 1921 patent. The OT patent dates from 1904 in the US and 1905 in Canada. The New Improved patent is JAN 13 1920, and that patent was never used on OT handles.

NEW handles OTOH do have the 1920 patent as it refers to the channels behind the combs which is a feature shared by New Improved and NEW razors.

Hi,

Yes. This is what I was thinking. The 1920 patent. Not 1921, which is the year of Grandfather's Thin Cap.

Perhaps that Thick Cap was paired with a NEW's handle. It is difficult to say with most razors that the parts were always together. I do know my Thin Cap parts were always together, but that is a rare situation, I think.

Stan

Top Bottom