What's new

Does replating change the shaving characteristics?

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Plating thickness is 30u” nominal (.000030”)… 3/100,000th the thickness of a typical sheet of paper. Metal objects are polished prior to plating, which will reduce the existing plating thickness by a portion of that number.

I think the plating thickness impact is nil.

What CAN make an impact is if you send it to a generic plater who doesn’t know razors. Things can be bent, twisted, warped, burned, etc. in the wrong hands. Back Roads Gold and, in my estimation, Razor Emporium are the places to go. They will also tune/repair your kit.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Plating thickness is 30u” nominal (.000030”)… 3/100,000th the thickness of a typical sheet of paper. Metal objects are polished prior to plating, which will reduce the existing plating thickness by a portion of that number.

I think the plating thickness impact is nil.

What CAN make an impact is if you send it to a generic plater who doesn’t know razors. Things can be bent, twisted, warped, burned, etc. in the wrong hands. Back Roads Gold and, in my estimation, Razor Emporium are the places to go. They will also tune/repair your kit.
I went nuts with zeroes.

It is one-one hundredth the thickness of a sheet of paper.

I’ve tried nearly every replater. Razor emporium is the only one I don’t feel comfortable spending my money with and never tried. Many threads about them from the past and a lot of what I see involves the lines being softened too much and taking away from details or what appears to be a lack of reconditioning for the price paid (lots of user eBay ads with them for sale ).

Backroadsgold and the other Chris at Razorplate.com provide good services. There’s very particular situations where I think one is better than the other but wouldn’t hesitate recommending either.

Top Bottom