What's new

Does replating change the shaving characteristics?

I want to send one or both of my recently acquired Gillettes (a New LC and a pre-war Tech) for replating. They are efficient shavers and I’d like to have them in nice finish.

The question is, did those of you who had your razors replated see any difference in shaving characteristics ? Removing the old finish and adding new plating is going to change some geometry, but I don’t know if that’s noticeable enough.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I want to send one or both of my recently acquired Gillettes (a New LC and a pre-war Tech) for replating. They are efficient shavers and I’d like to have them in nice finish.

The question is, did those of you who had your razors replated see any difference in shaving characteristics ? Removing the old finish and adding new plating is going to change some geometry, but I don’t know if that’s noticeable enough.
I've often wondered that myself. I know the plating thickness should be negligible..... but I don't really know that for a fact. It's a good question.

A properly re-plated razor will shave the same as it did before. Just make sure the service is reputable and knows what they are doing.
Yup.

In the past there were a couple of replaters that would lay it thick and were open about doing so. I’ve used them and haven’t noticed any difference in performance, although the aesthetics were notable (some I sold in the past attached). The Fatboy knurling is lacking some detail, same with the slim but to a lesser extent.
IMG_0988.jpeg
IMG_0989.jpeg

Q :- How long is a piece of string?

A:- As long as it is!

how much damage/scratches? how much metal is removed? where is it removed from? are the edges cut back? how thick is the re-plating?
every plater will do it different
and some may lay into the knurling with a buff like the examples posted above [not my style unless the knurling is really kangaroo edward, teeth brush sized brass brush and polish knurling manually][i have nuts bolts washers to try to keep the square edges of flatboy/slimjims/adjustable dials from rounding over]
ball park figure? plating is as thick as a human hair, doubt you will feel that even with ya tongue out?

good platers are good, bad platers are rough, me? i doo it because i can, not to make money :D

Hmm, I really don’t want either of those razors to get more aggressive, they’re already aggressive enough…
You are the one who can see what state they are in, any pitting? deep scratches? you can see where those imperfections are? the only reason to alter the aggressive behaviour is if the angle the blade is clamped between the cap and guard changes or excessive metal is ground/polished from the edge of the cap.

we are talking in hair width? one hair width of old plating removed, one hair width or two to remove scratches, one hair width of new plating put back
so two at the outside the width of 3 human hairs difference? but i can only assume there is no need for an angle grinder replate job as i'm not holding them.

Actually, neither of them has any scratches or pitting. Both are in really good shape, age considering. The LC has plating wear on one side of the cap, very edge. The pre-War looks like someone tried to polish the cap at some point, it’s very smooth but dull and I can see the lines and the attachment point of the stud under a strong enough light, so only a thin layer of the original plating still remains. The stripping needed to replate them should be minimal, only getting the old plating.

I could keep them as is, but my inner child demands shiny toys…

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

These platings are very thin, so if the old plating is removed - as it should be - and the new one applied there should be really no changes in dimensions and the shaving characteristics not changed. Also, it depends a bit on the type of metal that is deposited, gold would be definitely under 5 microns and chrome and nickel maybe 8-12 microns (10 microns are 0.0004" rounded up), so I think this is negligible......

It really depends on the razor and who and how he did it. If it's done by some of the professionals who restore razors for many years, then the chances of inconsistencies are very slim. For some people, replated razors are ruined and they no longer shave like they were intended regardless of how or who did it.

When I had replating done it didn't change anything at all in terms of shave experience. I just didn't worry anymore about plating rubbing away.

I'm not sure I worried that much about it to begin with but that's about the only thing other than appearance.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have two solid brass razors.... I am thinking of having them done in Chris' hardened 24K gold. I'll ask him about the process he uses before final plating... They are new so I know (OK... I'm guessing) he won't have to do much. I wouldn't expect their shaving characteristics to change at all.... or that is my hope, of course. The heavy knurling on the Rocnel brass Elite might be more of a challenge. I don't know if the plating would make it less knurled, slightly. I would think that might be the case but again, I don't know.

Well I was down at Razor Emporium the other day, was looking at several of their Restored, and Related Vintages Gillettes. My observation was REPLANTING IS NICE if you have a Smooth Surface to work with, or if you have few scratches, or blemishes in original metal.

You have two choices live with it what plating magnifies, and repeating will make the blemishes more noticeable. Option two is sand, or polish until blemish is gone.

Problem with option two is remember the Vintages Gillette were made of BENT & Formed Brass Sheet that are not real thick, so you could break thought the metal, or make it so thin getting super smoother surface to RELATE.

The one Pre-War Ball End Tech that I looked at that was 110% Great, was what they call a Prospector Edition, Rhodium, and Gold Plated. Liked like it just came off Gillette assembly line, truth was Razor was older the this guy.

Honestly the price was steep in my book, $150.00 -15% NET $127.50, but I am think on spending part of tax return on it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
This possibility exists, and no one can truly guarantee it until it is completed.
Blade exposure is a very small parameter, but it is closely related to skin sensation, and we don’t know how sensitive everyone’s skin is.

For example, "Krect Sprial Curve" is usually listed as the milder end of slant.
But on B&B, I kept seeing a member claiming that Krect Sprial Curve is very irritating to the skin.
I couldn't help asking, only to find out that his razor had been re-plated.
This may not be a universal example, but it proves that change has happened.

I had seen a Backland Machine Finished replaced Gold at AZ Shave Meetup, it was still New, because of machine finish the Gold Plating just magnified the blemish of machine finish, wonder if it is still sitting on shelf for sale?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
This is my experience as well.
Same.

But more importantly, if the factory plating is still good, why re-plate? Why fix what isn’t broken? Seems to be just looking for problems.

The factory plating on the old vintage ones can go decades if you take care with them. Trust me, I know this. It also ruins the authenticity of the original item. And they’re not making them anymore.

Invest in a mild action ultrasonic cleaner, and run it through every so often. You might be surprised just how nice that original tumbled on finish looks.

Top Bottom