What's new

Gillette Heritage is loose and dangerous!

If you don’t have coarse hair you may not notice the difference even if yours is the more aggressive one. They both shave exactly the same for me but the old EJ89 shaves noticeably closer on my neck area where there’s always a touch or black left even with the most aggressive razors. On my cheeks I couldn’t tell the difference.

If you look at the blade gap side by side with your newer one it would probably be apparent if your older one has a wider gap. But also the top cap is narrower in both width and length over my newer ones. I have measurements I took with calipers written down somewhere. Again the top cap is probably noticeable with the eye if you look at it from the side if it’s one of the more aggressive ones.

I have no idea what year this one is since it’s a relatives and he doesn’t know the exact year he purchased it but it was soon after it came out which I believe was circa 2009-2010.
I'm pretty sure it's the later version then as the cap is the same size as on my new one. In any event, I don't have a heavy or coarse beard so I don't have too many shaving challenges.

In the end, I returned mine. It simply didn't add anything to my shaving needs, it would have ended up taking space and bringing nothing I didn't already have.. Still, I think it has the potential to be a great first or even only razor for someone who likes the idea of an old school package and medium mild razor.

Late to the show but well. I have one from the first batch and no problems here. But I might have a solution. Not that elegant still, it might work.
My thought is puting one of those teflon rings between the handle and the baseplate. Might just solve your problem and keep it from getting marks on the base plate. Just my two cents.

My thought is puting one of those teflon rings between the handle and the baseplate. Might just solve your problem and keep it from getting marks on the base plate. Just my two cents.
That has already been covered but why fix Gillette's tardiness. They messed up with a third party manufacturer of the heritage inspiration; that was only important bit they had to make sure was correct. That's what you get when you leave it to Amazon to fulfill the order.

I got the Heritage from Amazon on November 7th...used it a bunch since then with no problems, and like it well enough to send my older Sensor Excel and Mach 3 Turbo to the bull pen...

I would like to add a recent update to this thread. I purchased two Gillette Heritage razor sets in December (one to keep and one to gift) which upon receiving I inspected the one I was to keep. No problems at all and I stashed it away. The one I gifted, however, was defective. Once the razor was opened I gave a brief demonstration and realized that it would not thread fully and the head would remain loose. "No problem" I said, " take mine and I'll deal with a return". A bit embarrassing but no big deal....

Flash forward to yesterday afternoon, I arrive home to two replacement sets waiting on my porch. I had only needed one replacement and had anticipated returning the other unopened. NOPE! I open one set, same problem. Pop open the second one and again it does not thread fully. So out of four sets that have passed through my hands three have been defective. At this point the return/replacement starts to get a little messy and I request a call from Amazon customer service. Suffice to say they rectified the issue and I decided to attempt a fix to address the threading defect.

Through a small amount of trial and error with my EJ DE89 cap and handle I determined the handle threads were not cut deep enough into the handle. I went to my best local hardware store and purchased an M5 bottoming tap and after a few turns had a functional handle. The threaded neck is brass and I expect to have fully fixed the issue with no damage to the razor.

I hope that this account will give some insight into the issue, the prevalence of said issue and the solution for anyone willing to take a tap to a $35 brand new razor.

I hope that this account will give some insight into the issue, the prevalence of said issue and the solution for anyone willing to take a tap to a $35 brand new razor.
What I find very disappointing is that Amazon are still sending out defective handles with these razors; the very bit that is the heritage inspiration. You would think they should have checked every razor before sending it out as this is a well documented issue.
Perhaps they should include an M5 tap free of charge with each razor.

Top Bottom