What's new

Lining Up A Slant Blade

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Now that we're almost done with SLANTember I'd like to discuss how to properly set a blade in a slant razor. Many of us haul out a slant razor and use it during September. Others of us, like me, use slants nearly every shave and have slant collections of various sizes. Although slant razors are not magic nor are they impossible to understand, there's a couple of things to check before steel hits lather.

The TL;DR is: Line the edge up with the baseplate bar or comb, not the cap.

A little slower now, with pictures:

The Fatip Open Comb Slant is a good example. Lots of them out there. "Conventional Wisdom" says that Fatip razors can be more or less "interactive" requiring some adjustment as they are assembled.

IMG_0658[1].JPG

The first step is to put the cap on a washcloth, stud up. Now drop the blade over the stud and pins.

IMG_0659[1].JPG

Then place the baseplate, and screw on the handle. At this point I usually screw it on loosely so I have some "wiggle room" but I also often just tighten it up. Then turn the razor cap-up and check the blade.

IMG_0660[1].JPG

It's a little hard to tell, but the edge is lined up with the comb. My FOCS has relatively tight tolerances, so the blade is pretty much set-it-and-forget-it. My loosest razor is the Fasan Double Slant. The tightest razor I've ever run into is the Above the Tie S2. There's one and exactly one way to put the blade in, and absolutely zero adjustment possible or needed. Just for shaves and grins, here's what that looks like:

IMG_0662[1].JPG

The edge is perfectly lined up with the comb, but the left corners of the blade are practically covered by the cap. Different slants will look different; the FOCS I have has a pretty even blade reveal, the ATT's reveal is different.

The final check is to confirm that the blade is centred on the baseplate, which puts the edges equally close to the bar or comb and thus one side of the razor is not more aggressive than the other. (This assumes you are not holding a differential razor, where the two sides are supposed to be different.)

Set up properly for success a slant razor will give you a very good and predictable shave.

O.H.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Great observation. I also made a similar experience. The DS-XT for instance is very much like that, gap and blade unsupported by the cap from above get larger towards one side. The Wunderbar on the other hand has this evenly distributed and doesn't do it at all.
Guess what, I wondered if I could line up the blade with the cap in the DS-XT... nope, no chance. Also not intended to be like that.

If the slant can be adjusted at all is also very much depending on the model, as you noticed. The Fatip Lo Storto/Open Comb/"FOCS" and... I don't quite remember... the Merkur 37C have some wiggle room with alignment.

No surprise that ATT doesn't have any. Their hallmark seems to be tight tolerances.

Next is OCtober... which month is for scallops?! :c9:

I almost never align. I drop the blade on the posts of the cap and close the razor. I only check to see if the blade extends more or less the same on both sides of the head. If that does not align correctly, with a little bit of for me less interesting wiggling room, the manufacturer should have made the razor differently.

I became an expert on blade alignment thanks to Fatip, Lol!!
I had 6 different models (now I'm down to 3) and all of them required alignment on every blade change. The experience served me well for when I became the owner of my Merkur 37C slant. The 37C always needs an alignment too!
Now, my 60's Hoffritz slant never requires alignment. It's a "drop & go" razor!
Definitely different build quality & tolerances than modern day Merkur's!
I have a related question for you @Old Hippie ,
Is their any blade alignment required for the ATT X1?
Since mine is on the way, I'm curious to know. All my ATT's are super tight and never require alignment, but the X1 is a slant so I don't know!
I know it's not a normal "blade twisting" slant but nevertheless it does tilt the AC blade.
I'd love to hear your input,
LRod

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You have to pay attention to the X1 when you assemble it, at least, I do. The little "bumps" line up with the slots in the blade. It isn't difficult but it is possible to not have the blade parallel to the base plate. I've done it. As long as I do put the cap on a towel and pay attention as I tighten the handle down, all is well.

With the Claymore, it's a cinch, of course. <eg>

You have to pay attention to the X1 when you assemble it, at least, I do. The little "bumps" line up with the slots in the blade. It isn't difficult but it is possible to not have the blade parallel to the base plate. I've done it. As long as I do put the cap on a towel and pay attention as I tighten the handle down, all is well.

With the Claymore, it's a cinch, of course. <eg>
That's good to know!
The RR Hawk seems like a similar design as the Claymore and it requires zero adjustment. But the X1 being a slant made me wonder. I guess most of the slants require some type of fiddling when changing blades (unless you get lucky or are very careful while assembling).

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Now that we're almost done with SLANTember I'd like to discuss how to properly set a blade in a slant razor. Many of us haul out a slant razor and use it during September. Others of us, like me, use slants nearly every shave and have slant collections of various sizes. Although slant razors are not magic nor are they impossible to understand, there's a couple of things to check before steel hits lather.

The TL;DR is: Line the edge up with the baseplate bar or comb, not the cap.

A little slower now, with pictures:

The Fatip Open Comb Slant is a good example. Lots of them out there. "Conventional Wisdom" says that Fatip razors can be more or less "interactive" requiring some adjustment as they are assembled.

View attachment 1530114

The first step is to put the cap on a washcloth, stud up. Now drop the blade over the stud and pins.

View attachment 1530115

Then place the baseplate, and screw on the handle. At this point I usually screw it on loosely so I have some "wiggle room" but I also often just tighten it up. Then turn the razor cap-up and check the blade.

View attachment 1530116

It's a little hard to tell, but the edge is lined up with the comb. My FOCS has relatively tight tolerances, so the blade is pretty much set-it-and-forget-it. My loosest razor is the Fasan Double Slant. The tightest razor I've ever run into is the Above the Tie S2. There's one and exactly one way to put the blade in, and absolutely zero adjustment possible or needed. Just for shaves and grins, here's what that looks like:

View attachment 1530120

The edge is perfectly lined up with the comb, but the left corners of the blade are practically covered by the cap. Different slants will look different; the FOCS I have has a pretty even blade reveal, the ATT's reveal is different.

The final check is to confirm that the blade is centred on the baseplate, which puts the edges equally close to the bar or comb and thus one side of the razor is not more aggressive than the other. (This assumes you are not holding a differential razor, where the two sides are supposed to be different.)

Set up properly for success a slant razor will give you a very good and predictable shave.

O.H.

DUDE, thank you so much for this post! I recently acquired a Merkur 37C slant razor, from @luvmysuper giveaway. Since its my first owned slant razor, I wasn't aware that slants had alignment issues, and that one must be mindful, of the blade reveal. This is making me want to stick a blade in it right now and check it out! Again, thanks for this post, I really appreciate it!

I just got a Merkur 37C the other day, popped a blade in without a second thought and had good results. I just popped a wizamet onto the posts and locked the razor down & went about my business.

Old Hippie

I guess most of the slants require some type of fiddling when changing blades (unless you get lucky or are very careful while assembling).

Well, yes and no. Just like any razor, really. Some are designed to be "fiddle-free" while others are less so. I've said my worst slant in that regard is my Fasan Double Slant -- but keep in mind it's 80-something years old, has a tonne of wear on it, the coating's completely gone, and it's been CeraKoted. Eighty years ago even humans were made differently. :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

DUDE, thank you so much for this post!

You're welcome.

I recently acquired a Merkur 37C slant razor, from @luvmysuper giveaway.

Congratulations!

Since its my first owned slant razor, I wasn't aware that slants had alignment issues, and that one must be mindful, of the blade reveal. This is making me want to stick a blade in it right now and check it out! Again, thanks for this post, I really appreciate it!

Well, I don't think I'd say "issues," or at least not that slants have more of them. Matter of perspective, I suppose. More like you can line it up "wrong," think it's "right" and wonder why you feel like you shaved with a cheese grater (with some of the looser razors, I mean). A little mindfulness goes a long way here.

Once you see how your new razor lines up, the process gets a lot faster because you'll know what you're looking for that tells you a lovely shave has the green light.

O.H.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Old Hippie ☮️

So, I just spent time sticking a Gillette Platinum blade in my new slant razor. I noticed that there was wiggle room in the blade, as I tightened down the 2-piece handle. I tried to line the blade up as best as I could, and then I took a bunch of pictures to show three things, blade gap, blade exposure, and blade alignment.

BLADE GAP
IMG_4322.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG

BLADE EXPOSURE
IMG_4325.JPG

BLADE ALIGNMENT
IMG_4326.JPG
IMG_4327.JPG

@Old Hippie ☮️

So, I just spent time sticking a Gillette Platinum blade in my new slant razor. I noticed that there was wiggle room in the blade, as I tightened down the 2-piece handle. I tried to line the blade up as best as I could, and then I took a bunch of pictures to show three things, blade gap, blade exposure, and blade alignment.

BLADE GAP
View attachment 1542224View attachment 1542230

BLADE EXPOSURE
View attachment 1542231

BLADE ALIGNMENT
View attachment 1542232View attachment 1542234
Not easy to tell from the pictures. At least the last picture on the bottom right shows that the right side is lined up. In the picture, it's tilted slightly left so it's hard to see the left side of the blade. Just make sure you look at it from the top, dead center (like in that picture) and make sure that both sides equally stick out. The 37C has a little play on the blade. So when you align it, then look at both sides from the top and make sure they stick out equally. I've had it happen that I didn't look at that after lining up the blade and one side ends up being more aggressive than the other (because one side sticks out more). The good news is that when you have it right, it'll give you an incredibly close and smooth shave that will make you say Wow!!
And that Gillette Platinum is a great blade for that razor.
Enjoy!

@Old Hippie ☮️

BLADE GAP
View attachment 1542224View attachment 1542230

BLADE EXPOSURE
View attachment 1542231

BLADE ALIGNMENT
View attachment 1542232View attachment 1542234
Hey Chris, You made me pull out my 37C for tonight's shave!
I hadn't used it in a while. Loaded a new Personna Lab Blue blade (hadn't used these on the 37C).
Lined it up and had a most excellent 2 pass WTG/XTG!
The 37C is incredibly smooth and shaves very close. It's very efficient!
The only 2 out of all the razors I own (this one and the Hoffritz slant) where I enjoy the second pass more
than the first. First pass makes you believe that not much hair came off but the second pass really makes you realize what got shaved. Result is a smooth face that feels like glass!
Excellent!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a 37C HD on the way from Ireland... along with an R41 on sale at the Muhle site. The prices from the UK were hard to pass up. I didn't pay for the upgraded shipping so I'll see them arrive in early November, I'm guessing. I was also able to find the little Muhle razor stands.. the ones where the razor is stored head down. They are out of stock at Muhle's site and I wanted two of them so I had to buy something from ESC as well so I got one of the Muhle stands and one for my extra Claymore since I had purchased just a head at one point.

I think that will end my razor acquisitions for a while. I do have a bid in for a razor listed on the Sue Moore auction. We'll see what happens there. That runs my total up to 13 different razors. More than enough for one man to handle. <eg> A baker's dozen.

Top Bottom