What's new

Gillette Heritage is loose and dangerous!

If you're OK with a "workaround", cool. I most certainly am not. But I will call the 800 number in the packaging and see what, if anything, Gillette has to say. The handle is not threaded deeply enough for my two EJ DE89s but it does fit my war era Tech. It's a colossal screwup by Gillette who, obviously paid zero attention to quality control on a significant number of these razors. A true shame.

BTW, my 11 year old EJ DE89 has no issues with the finish where the plate, cap, and handle screw together. That's a non-issue for me.
I believe I suggested he get an exchange. If you get stuck with a razor like this, though, you can still make it work fine. That's the point.

Reactions: Kix
I believe I suggested he get an exchange. If you get stuck with a razor like this, though, you can still make it work fine. That's the point.
I thought about exchanging it but I suspect I'd have the same issue. If Gillette says they can send me a proper handle for it, I'll keep it.

I own many Gillette's over a hundred years old and I don't have to workaround, tweak, or modify anything. It's a shame that Gillette even bothered to try to recapture the DE market. They flubbed it. They would have been better off just reintroducing one of their early TTO's. I hate to see this failure since the name deserves a better outcome.
There's a small percentage of defects with any manufactured product. Sad, but true. That's what warranties are for.

I'm pretty sure they made tens of thousands of these razors. If you got a defective one, it's bad luck, not a black stain that will forever tarnish the Gillette name. Just exchange for a good one.

There's a small percentage of defects with any manufactured product. Sad, but true. That's what warranties are for.

I'm pretty sure they made tens of thousands of these razors. If you got a defective one, it's bad luck, not a black stain that will forever tarnish the Gillette name. Just exchange for a good one.
How do I know I'll get "a good one"? How many times will I have to exchange it? It's obviously a known issue based on the reviews on Amazon and here. A good company would issue a recall or put out a notice offering a solution/exchange. Gillette has done none of this.

How do I know I'll get "a good one"? How many times will I have to exchange it? It's obviously a known issue based on the reviews on Amazon and here. A good company would issue a recall or put out a notice offering a solution/exchange. Gillette has done none of this.
It's statistics. If I flip a coin 10 times, how do I know it won't be a heads every time? I don't know for certain, but I can calculate the probability as around 1 in 1000. Extremely low.

Let's say the defect rate for the razors is 1%. My chances of getting two defects in a row can be calculated as 0.01 * 0.01 = 0.0001 or 1 in 10,000. Very good odds of getting a good one, IOW.

Quality issues abound in every industry these days. Until the greatest economic force in the world begins to demand better, things will just get worse. Teach your children the value of quality and the virtue of creating it.

Reactions: CCS
It's statistics. If I flip a coin 10 times, how do I know it won't be a heads every time? I don't know for certain, but I can calculate the probability as around 1 in 1000. Extremely low.

Let's say the defect rate for the razors is 1%. My chances of getting two defects in a row can be calculated as 0.01 * 0.01 = 0.0001 or 1 in 10,000. Very good odds of getting a good one, IOW.
I ought to exchange it just to see who's right! ;)

There have been many threads on this razor since it came out a few years ago.
I don't recall reading any complaints like this in any of them.
Now that you've brought it up, we learn that a few others here have had the same problem, and such complaints may also be found on Amazon.
Considering that thousands of these were sold, I don't find the number of complaints lodged here to be appreciable.
If Gillette will replace it, I believe your odds of getting a faultless replacement are very good.
Your problem might be that Gillette won't help you.
Gillette never sold this razor through their retail network, nor online directly, but only through Amazon as a limited edition and it was shortly discontinued. Is it even still under warranty?
You may have to take your complaint to Amazon, if it's not too late.

If Gillette will replace it, I believe your odds of getting a faultless replacement are very good.
Your problem might be that Gillette won't help you.
Gillette never sold this razor through their retail network, nor online directly, but only through Amazon as a limited edition and it was shortly discontinued. Is it even still under warranty?
You may have to take your complaint to Amazon, if it's not too late.
This order is essentially fulfilled by Amazon so Gillette has taken a back seat here. As a third party in the USA manufactures the handle Gillette have offered a credit for a KCG razor which is not the same.
Best solution is send it back to Amazon for a replacement or refund. If you are out of time a nylon washer may work.
This heritage inspiration has been disappointing. They should have got Muhle to manufacture the common bar handle to fit the R89 head.

I spoke to Gillette CS this morning. Someone had posted Amazon or here that Gillette sent them a new handle. If that was a policy once, it no longer is. Gillette offered to send me a $35 debit card which I declined. I changed my return to Amazon to an exchange to see if @NorthernSoul's stats are right or I get another dud. The Heritage will be dropped off today and the exchange should get here Friday. Dollars to donuts that it will have the same issue.

The Gillette rep asked for a code on the external packaging box and said mine was 2020 manufacture and the box was sealed with a barcode label so I believe it was fresh stock.

According to Amazon, the replacement Heritage is due to be delivered Friday. I will follow-up with a post as to whether it connects properly. @NorthernSoul should be interested in the statistical chances of success the second time around!

I’d say odds are it’s defective as well since things are done in batches. But perhaps not.

I read some thought these were more efficient then the R89 but if you look at the photos most have the exact same head as the R89 with the same casting numbers.

I think my R89 may be a tad more efficient then the modern DE89 but if it is it’s not very noticeable. But the older DE89s were much more efficient or at least the one I used was with a narrower top cap and wider blade gap. I just have no idea how early it was and for how long they produced the more efficient head before switching to the one they have now. But that older DE89 is nearly perfect and my R89 with a shim is fairly similar but not quite as efficient.

Well, I have to give props to our statistician, @NorthernSoul, because the replacement arrived and it's perfect. He was right! Noted from the code on the box that this one is 2022 production whereas the first was 2020 according to Gillette. It looks as though the screw on the cap might be a little shorter. Either that or the handle was tapped a little deeper. There are zero markings on the plate but there is a 6 marked under the cap, FWIW.

Lucky you got one from a different batch. Surprised they sent ones made 2 years apart out like that within a short window unless they handpicked you a good one?

Unlikely, I doubt they’d take the time.

I have 89s with 4 stamped which are older and I don’t believe have the brass screw. And my newer one has an 8 and uses the newer brass screw in the top cap (I Believe). Unsure about the 6.

Edited to add - most I seen photos of had a 4 stamp on them.

Lucky you got one from a different batch. Surprised they sent ones made 2 years apart out like that within a short window unless they handpicked you a good one?

Unlikely, I doubt they’d take the time.

I have 89s with 4 stamped which are older and I don’t believe have the brass screw. And my newer one has an 8 and uses the newer brass screw in the top cap (I Believe). Unsure about the 6.

Edited to add - most I seen photos of had a 4 stamp on them.
Honestly, I was surprised too. And the only way I might have gotten the newer one is they were trying to get rid of old stock and just grabbed a new stock one but I doubt it. Anyway, it shaves like a DE89 though, apparently, the head is a Muhle R89? I assume both the DE89 and R89 shave very much alike.

Honestly, I was surprised too. And the only way I might have gotten the newer one is they were trying to get rid of old stock and just grabbed a new stock one but I doubt it. Anyway, it shaves like a DE89 though, apparently, the head is a Muhle R89? I assume both the DE89 and R89 shave very much alike.
They are basically identical. If anything I think my R89 may be a tad more efficient/smooth but it’s not really noticeable so that may just be in my mind.

They both use a slightly different top cap.

If your DE89 is old it may be the more aggressive/efficient model but I’d say they were only made like that for a short period of time and at 11 years old it’s probably like the newer ones. I wish they would have kept the narrower cap/wider gap of the first ones and I have no idea how long they made them like that but it’s a superior shave to me with coarser stubble.

They are basically identical. If anything I think my R89 may be a tad more efficient/smooth but it’s not really noticeable so that may just be in my mind.

They both use a slightly different top cap.

If your DE89 is old it may be the more aggressive/efficient model but I’d say they were only made like that for a short period of time and at 11 years old it’s probably like the newer ones. I wish they would have kept the narrower cap/wider gap of the first ones and I have no idea how long they made them like that but it’s a superior shave to me with coarser stubble.
While I don't know when my original EJ was made, I bought it in November 2011 according to Amazon. It came in the nicer packaging than the new ones come in. I just bought the Gold Barley version a couple weeks ago and the box is embarrassing. However, they feel like they shave exactly the same as each other.

While I don't know when my original EJ was made, I bought it in November 2011 according to Amazon. It came in the nicer packaging than the new ones come in. I just bought the Gold Barley version a couple weeks ago and the box is embarrassing. However, they feel like they shave exactly the same as each other.
If you don’t have coarse hair you may not notice the difference even if yours is the more aggressive one. They both shave exactly the same for me but the old EJ89 shaves noticeably closer on my neck area where there’s always a touch or black left even with the most aggressive razors. On my cheeks I couldn’t tell the difference.

If you look at the blade gap side by side with your newer one it would probably be apparent if your older one has a wider gap. But also the top cap is narrower in both width and length over my newer ones. I have measurements I took with calipers written down somewhere. Again the top cap is probably noticeable with the eye if you look at it from the side if it’s one of the more aggressive ones.

I have no idea what year this one is since it’s a relatives and he doesn’t know the exact year he purchased it but it was soon after it came out which I believe was circa 2009-2010.

Top Bottom