What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

Amazing work CAP. It looks as good as the day I bought it brand new in the box 5 years ago. Since this one will become my daily shaver again, do you have a recommended maintenance plan we can do at home to help keep her clean?

Here's yet another fatboy duo. These two were sent to me by StAndre. Both came in partially disassembled and as you can all see, the one has some seriously bent safety bars.

Before:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423976160.452280.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423976237.268410.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423976262.447662.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423976280.007896.jpg

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have a question that the answer would be of interest to all Fatboy fans. When you have an assembled razor replated by Chris, how is the red indicater spring and black collar handled; Wouldn't the red and black paint be dissolved during cleaning in prep for replating?

I have a question that the answer would be of interest to all Fatboy fans. When you have an assembled razor replated by Chris, how is the red indicater spring and black collar handled; Wouldn't the red and black paint be dissolved during cleaning in prep for replating?

Hi mike, thank you for he question, I get asked this a lot! As far as I understand, Chris's stripping solutions will not do much to painted surfaces. Carbon based stuff will take the paint clean off however. I can recall one time when I sent a fatboy that was fully assembled to Chris for replating (which I had repainted all the accents on) and he mentioned that that paint should not be affected by the replating process. That said, abrasive methods will take paint off 9 times out of 10.

As far as I understand, when razors are sent to Chris for replating (razors hat I do not handle) he repaints the accents (indicator spring, numbers and dots, and collet). @nocutsnonicksnoweepers, please correct me if I am wrong here:biggrin:

Hope this helps Mike! Thank you!

Hi mike, thank you for he question, I get asked this a lot! As far as I understand, Chris's stripping solutions will not do much to painted surfaces. Carbon based stuff will take the paint clean off however. I can recall one time when I sent a fatboy that was fully assembled to Chris for replating (which I had repainted all the accents on) and he mentioned that that paint should not be affected by the replating process. That said, abrasive methods will take paint off 9 times out of 10.

As far as I understand, when razors are sent to Chris for replating (razors hat I do not handle) he repaints the accents (indicator spring, numbers and dots, and collet). @nocutsnonicksnoweepers, please correct me if I am wrong here:biggrin:

Hope this helps Mike! Thank you!

You are CORRECT with all statements in your quote!

Cap my razor made it home safe and sound. Saying thank you again and again doesn't do enough. This latest fatboy is truly remarkable. Functionally and cosmetically that razor is flawless. When I tried to explain to a friend and my girlfriend that there is a guy on a shaving group I belong to online that specializes in repairing this razor they don't seem to comprehend. It is remarkable and a great reminder there are classy people out there. Thank you as always! If you are ever in Dallas let me know what I can do for you.

Top Bottom