What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

So that's two who like the idea, Cool! What would be the easiest way to do this gentlemen? What would be the most convenient for y'all? I don't think B&B has a podcast section, do they? If not, it would all be Youtube stuff, linked to these threads.

I will certainly list the ingredients and things like that for you international guys:thumbup:

:lol: It all depends on what your bristle is like!

+1 on the instructional videos!!!
YouTube works all around the world!!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So my 4 passes 3 on 7 and one at 5 pluss toughups might be a bit excessive?

Yep, it's all about what your whiskers need and your skin can handle. If I were to do 5 passes, I bet my face would look like the Fourth of July, no matter what setting I was on! If it works for you, though, go for it!

So that's two who like the idea, Cool! What would be the easiest way to do this gentlemen? What would be the most convenient for y'all? I don't think B&B has a podcast section, do they? If not, it would all be Youtube stuff, linked to these threads.

I will certainly list the ingredients and things like that for you international guys:thumbup:
Thanks, CAP! What's it not to like about free help in taking care of our hobby? :thumbup:

Youtube videos with link in your threads will be fine!

Consider it done, gents! I have a few things in mind like quick five minute videos touching on various aspects of maintenance and quick fixes but if you gents can think of anything that you are dying to know, just say the word and I'll do my best to cover it!

I'll try to make em as simple as possible so everyone can perform these fixes and basic maintenance tips at home. Thank you all![emoji106]

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hey, Cap! You better get over to the Nickel Toggle thread and restore some order! We're runnin' plum amok over there! :w00t:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks for coming in and stopping the insanity! We were spending more time on that than we were on sleeping!

(not that it wasn't more fun than Disneyworld!)

Cap, I know this was discussed before, but tell us again about loosening the doors before adjusting.

Can we adjust while the razor is locked, or not really advisable?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for coming in and stopping the insanity! We were spending more time on that than we were on sleeping!

(not that it wasn't more fun than Disneyworld!)
Looks like we are back at it!:lol:

Cap, I know this was discussed before, but tell us again about loosening the doors before adjusting.

Can we adjust while the razor is locked, or not really advisable?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Edgar! This comes up a lot and I am always happy to lend my opinion on it. In simple terms, one will do absolutely no harm in adjusting any Gillette Adjustable model while it is closed and/or locked down.

Basically, when the user twists the adjuster dial clockwise to increase the setting, the adjuster plate rises accordingly, pushing up on the blade. This force overcomes the TTO spring which resides in the bottom of the razor (or a similar spring apparatus on other adjustable models such as the bottom-dials and toggles).

I don't think Gillette ever specified whether one is supposed to open the razor in order make adjustments or not. As far as design goes, I wouldn't think that the inventors would have designed a razor that has to be loosened in order to make an adjustment. Wasn't Gillette all about convenience and speed anyhow? Hope this helps Edgar:thumbup:

Garrett, so you noticed this just recently correct? The 1/2 turn makes sense as opposed to the standard 1/4 turn as your Jolly Green Giant has custom gaps. If you can picture it, the bigger the gap, the more spring pressure. So when I set the custom gaps on your fatboy, this causes the adjuster plate to protrude higher through the openings on the safety bar plate. My custom is the same way.

The thing that worries me about yours is the stickiness. Do you have any Bar Keeper's Friend?

Turns out I did have some Bar Keeper's Friend under the sink. I just had to ask my wife to pick some up at the store to find out. As long as you mean the powdered cleaner like comet. What next?

Looks like we are back at it!:lol:

Hi Edgar! This comes up a lot and I am always happy to lend my opinion on it. In simple terms, one will do absolutely no harm in adjusting any Gillette Adjustable model while it is closed and/or locked down.

Basically, when the user twists the adjuster dial clockwise to increase the setting, the adjuster plate rises accordingly, pushing up on the blade. This force overcomes the TTO spring which resides in the bottom of the razor (or a similar spring apparatus on other adjustable models such as the bottom-dials and toggles).

I don't think Gillette ever specified whether one is supposed to open the razor in order make adjustments or not. As far as design goes, I wouldn't think that the inventors would have designed a razor that has to be loosened in order to make an adjustment. Wasn't Gillette all about convenience and speed anyhow? Hope this helps Edgar:thumbup:

Thank you for your expertise, Cap.

Yes, this comes up a lot, and you're right - none of the instruction sheets (that I've seen at least) says that one must open the razor before adjusting.

Thanks again Cap. :thumbsup:

Turns out I did have some Bar Keeper's Friend under the sink. I just had to ask my wife to pick some up at the store to find out. As long as you mean the powdered cleaner like comet. What next?
Perfect! So grab your JGG and open him all the way. Next, take some dish soap and about a 1/4 teaspoon of BKF and put it in the end of the TTO. Next, get some hot water and add a few drops into the end of the TTO. What you want to achieve here is a slightly runny/paste consistency. Once you have achieved this, take the razor and hold it horizontally and work the guts out of that TTO knob. You will experience some grittiness and this is perfectly fine, its just the BKF doing its thing. Do this two times and rinse it out well. There might be some residual gritty feeling afterward so you might have to keep rinsing it until the feeling subsides but man I'll tell you, this works wonders with dirty TTO's. This is what I have been meaning to make a video of...just need to do it!:bored:

It is easier to do this with the endcap removed and the door rod pulled out, if you have the threaded caps and the means to take em off but it can be done with the razor fully assembled as well. Let me know how this works for you! Thanks Garrett:biggrin:

Thank you for your expertise, Cap.

Yes, this comes up a lot, and you're right - none of the instruction sheets (that I've seen at least) says that one must open the razor before adjusting.

Thanks again Cap. :thumbsup:
Edgar, I am always happy to oblige! I actually went and peeked at some instructions for the fatboy and I couldn't find any instructions to loosen it up before adjusting:wink: I think the controversy here stems from the dial being somewhat tight to adjust when the razor is locked down so most users assume that this toughness is "bad" for the razor when in reality, it is just the TTO spring making things tight.

Now that I think about it, I don't think any of the toggle instructions say anything special either!

Here's your fatboy, STLcardsfan!

Before:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423882068.420763.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423882077.039342.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423882087.911468.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423882097.682526.jpg
Disassembly
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423882107.037826.jpg

Perfect! So grab your JGG and open him all the way. Next, take some dish soap and about a 1/4 teaspoon of BKF and put it in the end of the TTO. Next, get some hot water and add a few drops into the end of the TTO. What you want to achieve here is a slightly runny/paste consistency. Once you have achieved this, take the razor and hold it horizontally and work the guts out of that TTO knob. You will experience some grittiness and this is perfectly fine, its just the BKF doing its thing. Do this two times and rinse it out well. There might be some residual gritty feeling afterward so you might have to keep rinsing it until the feeling subsides but man I'll tell you, this works wonders with dirty TTO's. This is what I have been meaning to make a video of...just need to do it!:bored:

It is easier to do this with the endcap removed and the door rod pulled out, if you have the threaded caps and the means to take em off but it can be done with the razor fully assembled as well. Let me know how this works for you! Thanks Garrett:biggrin:

Thanks Cap. I'll see if I can make some time to try it tomorrow.

Top Bottom