What's new

Gillette Bulldog from 1920

After so many years I managed to get this fantastic razor (one of my favorites of the Gillette) it was very difficult to find it in these conditions accompanied by its original box and its blades (not all) its original instructions and without the handle being damaged It is extraordinary how this set has been maintained after more than 100 years! after a meticulous and careful restoration of its leather case this razor is almost like new again!
There are many Gillette Bulldogs around but they are very rare to find with a complete set and no breakage. (especially this set).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Although many years have passed, they always have an absolute charm.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I would also like to invite other users to share their Gillette Bulldogs !!

Thk
Benedetto.

Last edited:
After so many years I managed to get this fantastic razor (one of my favorites of the Gillette) it was very difficult to find it in these conditions accompanied by its original box and its blades (not all) its original instructions and without the handle being damaged It is extraordinary how this set has been maintained after more than 100 years! after a meticulous and careful restoration of its leather case this razor is almost like new again!
There are many Gillette Bulldogs around but they are very rare to find with a complete set and no breakage. (especially this set).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thk
Benedetto.
What a gorgeous set. Thanks for sharing.

How do you clean the case by the way?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thk
Benedetto.

Wow, perfect, that is one beautiful razor - and in amazing like-new condition. Congrats on a score of scores!!
:a47::a50:

What a gorgeous set. Thanks for sharing.

How do you clean the case by the way?

The only product I can recommend for leather or faux leather cases (which have cracking or hardening due to their age) is "Renapur - Leather Balsam". Used in moderation I find myself very well. Instead for repairs on the skin, I suggest you contact a specialized professional! but not always repairing a vintage case will make it more beautiful and more appreciable, picky collectors like me always prefer an original leather case with normal signs of wear and always avoid buying leather cases badly repaired or roughly! In my opinion or a cleaning or repair is done well or it is better not to do it.

Benedetto.

This handle has been copied, but with little success. The head has been attempted to be improved upon, but the original continues to be among the most solid designs. The plating has changed -- the solid stainless has been perfected (almost). But this Gillette open comb Bulldog from 1920 is a great razor -- one of the best of the original Old Style designs, with a finesse in the knurling that has rarely been improved upon (I give the rhodium plated British Aristocrats a slight edge). This is a classic of American ingenuity, like our early electronics and automobiles, but this one has lasted and is still usable today.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Digital photos, but not touched up at all. What a classy beast!

proxy.php

Silver-plated beauty.

proxy.php

Great leather case to take when traveling. And notice the open comb teeth, and how they reinforced that end one -- the one that often broke on other models. This is a solid razor, one that's withstood 90+ years or use and storage.

I agree it's a classic beauty and has a nice heft to it. A solid looker from the past...

What an elegant and beautiful design, and even an elegant, beautiful and practical case. I'm glad I have a repaired and restored ordinary Old Type, so at least I can more or less experience the shave, though I'll likely never have anything like this premier version.

This handle has been copied, but with little success. The head has been attempted to be improved upon, but the original continues to be among the most solid designs. The plating has changed -- the solid stainless has been perfected (almost). But this Gillette open comb Bulldog from 1920 is a great razor -- one of the best of the original Old Style designs, with a finesse in the knurling that has rarely been improved upon (I give the rhodium plated British Aristocrats a slight edge). This is a classic of American ingenuity, like our early electronics and automobiles, but this one has lasted and is still usable today.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Digital photos, but not touched up at all. What a classy beast!

proxy.php

Silver-plated beauty.

proxy.php

Great leather case to take when traveling. And notice the open comb teeth, and how they reinforced that end one -- the one that often broke on other models. This is a solid razor, one that's withstood 90+ years or use and storage.
It's a beaut.
What's the mass on the assembled razor?
A hollow(ish) handle with that diameter is probably my ideal.

Wow .. those Bulldogs are stunning.

I have seen cracked handles filled/welded with solder and then carefully polished to blend. I have a hairline crack in one of my New Improved razors .. keep meaning to have a go at the solder trick.

I would like to try the silver solder.
My Bulldog had a crack close to halfway down the barrel. Could slip a piece of paper down about a quarter of an inch. Knowing my skill level I took it to a jeweler. They took it about to investigate, and reassembled it differently and the barrel cracked its entire length.😳
Jeweler says it was already broken. !!!!
Trying to save razor.

Top Bottom