What's new

Gillette Adustables - Double Edge Razors: A Comprehensive Photo

Hey Stan, I always grip my razors about 60% of the way down the handle from the base plate on the head. Some guys like to steady the razor with a finger on the bottom of it; except for a Super-109 which is kind of long to do that. I never needed any longer of a handle because of the way I grip. I like a Fatboy or Super-84 because they are smaller. The Bottom Dial doesn't figure into it for me or bother me one way or another.

Never say never Stan; you may get a Bottom Dial one way or another. Lucky find or monetary windfall. When I first became aware of these they were about $800 w/o a case. The last one on the bay went for like $3000 with out a case. A Bottom Dial case only went on the bay for $600 not too long ago and it was partially damaged. So, if things keep trending that way, it might not be a bad way to spend a monetary windfall. But you never know - it's a gamble - or, it's an investment. Best way to get one is to find it in an out of the way vintage shop or such for like $30!!!

Hi,

Yes. $30 sounds about my speed. $600, I would have a lot of trouble with. Never mind $3000. That is somewhat sad, because I think I would like using a bottom dial since it appears to me they put that in just the right spot for it to be a grip knob for my fingers. ;)

But, the only razor I can think of which I would spend thousands on is the adjustable auto-loading/unloading original Techmatic. I think my money is safe there, though. Because that model never even made it to pre-series from what I can tell. Lab-made Prototypes only I strongly suspect.

Stan

Hi,

Yes. $30 sounds about my speed. $600, I would have a lot of trouble with. Never mind $3000. That is somewhat sad, because I think I would like using a bottom dial since it appears to me they put that in just the right spot for it to be a grip knob for my fingers. ;)

But, the only razor I can think of which I would spend thousands on is the adjustable auto-loading/unloading original Techmatic. I think my money is safe there, though. Because that model never even made it to pre-series from what I can tell. Lab-made Prototypes only I strongly suspect.

Stan

Hey Stan, I want a Techmatic too - would go to the mat for one if it became available. Ha ha me and a bunch of other collectors too. It would be bloody for all involved, but it would make a great thread here, whoever won. I just shaved with a Slim at "9" - what a great shave. Life's simple pleasures... I got it for $8.00 at a flea market.

Hi,

There is quite a thread about it here somewhere. Someone managed to get one, then told us all about it. Personally, I am no collector, but that one really piques my interest for the engineering involved. I mean, a DE that can inject and eject blades. I would love to eyeball that in operation.

And, I bet it shaves well, being adjustable and all. With my luck, though, I would pay up for it and find out I still like my Fasan better! :p

Stan

Top Bottom