What's new

Gillette Adjustable prices dropping?

Seems to me that the price for Gillette Adjustables in top condition were in the $50+ range a year ago. Now I see them going for around $20. Is it less demand? More of them on the market? I don't think the number of competing products has jumped all that much. Ideas?

I think fat boys are still kinda up there and so are plastic bottom black beauties. But Slim's seem to be down though.

eBay search "mint Gillette Fatboy" and the price is about $100 to $115 for an uncased one. The prices of poorer condition ones are always all over the map. You still have to pay to get good ones.

Key is the word "Mint". Anything less and it's all subjective. If he calls his razor mint it better be top notch or he's getting it back.

I'm not sure if prices have changed much - on average - for user grade Slims and Fatboys. However, there are still decent buys for less expensive razors. Fatboy: lowest price is about $30. Slim: lowest price is about $15.

Key is the word "Mint". Anything less and it's all subjective. If he calls his razor mint it better be top notch or he's getting it back.

+1... I totally agree, I stay away from sellers who use the word mint or near mint unless they are a very reputable seller of vintage razors, there are a few of them on Ebay for sure. Every time I've bought one from an unknown seller with mint,near mint, perfect or amazing condition etc etc there's always something wrong with them. The sellers perception of mint is usually not my perception of mint. If I'm buying a mint razor I want it to be unused or maybe used a few times. I see so many listed as mint and they will have a used blade in them or flea bites all over them etc etc. just be careful when buying old gillettes especially adjustables.

I took a chance on a $10 crusty looking TTO on Etsy last week, and came up with a good one. TTO SS, not an adjustable, however. Still some bargains to be found online, though I agree, it's buyer beware!

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_181122974.jpg
    IMG_20170714_181122974.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 37

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
On a whole, vintage Gillette prices do go up and they sometimes go down. Lately, at least for me, the market has been a little better for buyers than sellers and the cycle will move prices around again before Christmas. I got beat up recently when I offed a couple of adjustables on eBay.

P.S. I despise the description "minty" when I'm cruising the auctions. :001_07:

It would be nice if they are down. I've wanted to try a black beauty or Fatboy but the prices just weren't exciting me, considering I already own a slim. I had actually quit looking, but sounds like I should check in again.

Probably not trending in discussions here and elsewhere as much lately. When a few threads on a particular razor pop up all of a sudden prices will spike.

There have also been a lot of new razor releases lately that seem to be stealing the focus. While this is no doubt helpful for the new manufacturers it may also be putting downward pressure on vintage prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not trending in discussions here and elsewhere as much lately. When a few threads on a particular razor pop up all of a sudden prices will spike.

There have also been a lot of new razor releases lately that seem to be stealing the focus. While this is no doubt helpful for the new manufacturers it may also be putting downward pressure on vintage prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was my thought. All the new guys are taking up all the oxygen.

This was my thought. All the new guys are taking up all the oxygen.

That's fine with me. I'm not really interested in dropping $200 on stainless razors. So while people are distracted with that, I've dropped about $75 over the past couple of months picking up some great condition vintage. A plastic bottom Super Adjustable in case, Schick adjustable in case, and a NOS Gillette Twinjector. I'm okay quietly stalking eBay while people are distracted with the new shiny toys.

That's fine with me. I'm not really interested in dropping $200 on stainless razors. So while people are distracted with that, I've dropped about $75 over the past couple of months picking up some great condition vintage. A plastic bottom Super Adjustable in case, Schick adjustable in case, and a NOS Gillette Twinjector. I'm okay quietly stalking eBay while people are distracted with the new shiny toys.
Wow I thought I was doing good getting my 59 Fatboy no case for under $20 and my 88 black beauty no case for $18

Wow I thought I was doing good getting my 59 Fatboy no case for under $20 and my 88 black beauty no case for $18

I play the long game now. I have plenty of razors and nothing I feel the need to acquire at all costs. My watch list has seen literally hundreds of razors come and go over time. Most get enough attention and I just let them go. Once in a while, for any number of reasons, a razor just won't get much bidding attention. Be it a new seller, not in the right category, good pics but bad description, etc.

Oh and just about every Fatboy I've seen goes above $20, most $30 or more. So I'd call that a pretty good score.

I am finding that the "top end" of the market. NOS or Rarer items are commanding top dollar. However if you are willing to roll the dice on something that needs cleaning there is a lot lest interest/ price.

I am finding that the "top end" of the market. NOS or Rarer items are commanding top dollar. However if you are willing to roll the dice on something that needs cleaning there is a lot lest interest/ price.

I have been noticing that too the display quality stuff is way up there yet the user grade is kinda low.

Top Bottom