What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) - A Review

I used the Gillette 7 o'clock Black in a CG SB level 2 razor. Very smooth and efficient shave, no irritation or nicks/weepers of any kind. A really excellent combo. Comparable to the shave I got with the same razor and PolSilver SI blade. I prefer the Gillette 7 o'clock Black to the Nacet, which is sharp just not as smooth IMO. GSB is an all around very smooth blade, sharp though not as sharp the Nacet or Gillette Black. I use the GSB in razors for the first shave mainly to get a feel for the razor and shaving experience.
Do you consider Indian Gillette super platinum a good substitute for Polsilver? Thanks

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@Esox
How would you compare those to more expensive Polsilver Super Iridium?

If you mean the Gillette 7 O'Clock series blades, I wouldnt. They feel completely different to me. All are very smooth. The Green didnt cut as well for me as the Yellow or Black. Of the three I like the Yellow the most, but the Black is a very good blade too.

I'm not sure I could pick a blade to replace Polsilver. Astra SP and Nacet come to mind, but neither are as smooth nor as sharp to me. I think if I couldnt have Polsilver I'd use Perma-Sharp Super and my standby, Derby Extra.

I rarely use DE's these days though. My MMOC with GEM PTFE blades are King now, by a long shot.

I find Polsivers and 7 O'Clock blacks to be similar, although the Black doesn't require as aggressive a razor as the Polsilver does. Both last me a very long time and I get great shaves from them.

Do you consider Indian Gillette super platinum a good substitute for Polsilver? Thanks
In my experience the Gillette Platinum (Russia) is a good substitute for the PolSilver. The 7 o'clock Black would be a close second.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, and the Rubie is the best IMO.

Yeah, but his object is to find a replacement not made in Russia.

I haven't been using any Russian blades lately, simply because I've been using other things and haven't felt the urge to crack open a tuck. I don't trust the QC of India blades and don't enjoy east Asian blades. Haven't tried anything out of the Lord factory except for a Shark, which isn't a suitable replacement for a Polsilver, nor are any Derbys. Israeli Personna Reds, Brazil Gillette Platinum Plus and German Wilkinson Sword are my recent go-tos. Those three blades are the only DE blades intended for sale into the US men's care retail market that I know of. The Gillettes are discontinued and expensive but really good, the others are cheap and effective. Otherwise, vintage blades, which are also $$$.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Haven't tried anything out of the Lord factory except for a Shark

Lord Platinum is a very nice blade. Its very similar to the Rapira Platinum Lux and I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test. Neither cut quite as well as Polsilver for me and I think they're closer to Gillette Green. I'd prefer a Gillette Black over them all.

Now that I remember, in my Gillette NEW SC, which has .023" blade gap, the Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium is a dead ringer for Polsilver at around half the cost.

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium

As its only my first shave with it, I cant say it will replace Polsilver for me in this razor, but its sure trying too!

In my NEW SC I cant tell them apart from a Polsilver. They didnt work as well in my Grande that has much less blade gap than my NEW SC so I havent tested how long they might last. A used single Polsilver to 20 shaves in my Grande without issue. I believe @rabidus used a single Blue Diamond Titanium for 14 head shaves so they should also last pretty well.

I have both the Blue Diamond Titanium and the Blue Diamond Platinum. I didnt like either in my Grande so I put them away. I could dig them out and use one of each in my NEW SC, or any other of my 12 DE's for a comparison, if anyone is interested.

Lord Platinum is a very nice blade. Its very similar to the Rapira Platinum Lux and I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test. Neither cut quite as well as Polsilver for me and I think they're closer to Gillette Green...

Which Gillette green? The 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Russia) or the 7 O'Clock Perma-Sharp (India)? The latter is a "so so" blade IMO and the former is simply superb. As a matter of fact, on another forum the 7 O'Clock Super Stainless was rated #1 in a blind test among various testers.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Super Stainless Russian blade, yeah. I havent tried the other ones and dont generally get along with Indian made blades, but I do like the Gillette Black made there.

Refinedshave dot com analyzes the sharpness profiles of the 7 o'clock blades. You want consistent it looks like Russian Green. You want Feather sharp, Black, but it takes a shave or two to get there.

The Super Stainless Russian blade, yeah. I havent tried the other ones and dont generally get along with Indian made blades, but I do like the Gillette Black made there.

That goes for me as well, the Black is the only Gillette Indian blade I like (apart from the discod. Indian Goal blade). :wink:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Refinedshave dot com analyzes the sharpness profiles of the 7 o'clock blades. You want consistent it looks like Russian Green. You want Feather sharp, Black, but it takes a shave or two to get there.

The problem I see with the testing done there though is the medium used. I dont agree with his ratings based on how a particular blade might shave me. Derby Extra for example he rates at a 49, but for me, its a fantastic blade giving up very little to most other blades I've tried.

Bic Chrome Platinum as another example. He has them rated at 35, sharper than he rates Feather blades. Bic's I find sharp, but not that sharp. They are smoother though and that difference in resistance when passing through a testing medium could colour the results.

That goes for me as well, the Black is the only Gillette Indian blade I like. :wink:

I've tried several Indian made blades and they were all rough and harsh for me except the Black.

The problem I see with the testing done there though is the medium used. I dont agree with his ratings based on how a particular blade might shave me. Derby Extra for example he rates at a 49, but for me, its a fantastic blade giving up very little to most other blades I've tried.

Bic Chrome Platinum as another example. He has them rated at 35, sharper than he rates Feather blades. Bic's I find sharp, but not that sharp. They are smoother though and that difference in resistance when passing through a testing medium could colour the results.

I know your mileage varies. I've found the testing to provide decent guidance. Note that he does like the Derby for 2-3 beard / 1 head shave and that most do agree with his general view of the Derby in terms of sharpness. I've yet to try them.

Personally I can shave happily with anything on my beard but the head shave is trickier and requires a sharp blade and the BIC was the first blade I could use in my R41 on my head with good success (My technique is better now and more blades I find satisfying).

Refinedshave.com's testing is not scientific per se, but it is a benchmark that while not perfect, is better than anything else out there. Note as well that he is a "two & done" shaver and only goes beyond that for a few tests.

I state again that we are misinterpreting entirely the "Big Picture" here. What we assume is sharpness is in reality smoothness caused by the blade coatings/sputtering process of which Gillette seems to be the master. When people say "sharp" they actually mean smooth.

What we assume is sharpness is in reality smoothness caused by the blade coatings/sputtering process of which Gillette seems to be the master. When people say "sharp" they actually mean smooth.

I don't agree with that. I find Astra blades to be very smooth but not as sharp as say Gillette Silver Blues are.

Refinedshave.com's testing is not scientific per se, but it is a benchmark that while not perfect, is better than anything else out there. Note as well that he is a "two & done" shaver and only goes beyond that for a few tests.

I state again that we are misinterpreting entirely the "Big Picture" here. What we assume is sharpness is in reality smoothness caused by the blade coatings/sputtering process of which Gillette seems to be the master. When people say "sharp" they actually mean smooth.
I have no idea at all what they mean which is one reason among many I pay zero attention to casual subjective reviews.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I know your mileage varies. I've found the testing to provide decent guidance. Note that he does like the Derby for 2-3 beard / 1 head shave and that most do agree with his general view of the Derby in terms of sharpness. I've yet to try them.

Personally I can shave happily with anything on my beard but the head shave is trickier and requires a sharp blade and the BIC was the first blade I could use in my R41 on my head with good success (My technique is better now and more blades I find satisfying).

I toss them at 4 shaves, but I have used them to 6. The first two are the best and its downhill, quickly, past that. They're sharp enough and wonderfully smooth to me.

What we assume is sharpness is in reality smoothness caused by the blade coatings/sputtering process of which Gillette seems to be the master. When people say "sharp" they actually mean smooth.

I would agree with that lol.

All razor blades are sharp, but how they may cut and feel for any particular individual, only the one using it can say.

I find Astra blades to be very smooth but not as sharp as say Gillette Silver Blues are.

This is where we all vary. I find Astra SP and SS both sharp, but the SS a bit smoother than the SP. On the other hand a GSB for me is a torture device. They yank and tug with the edge flexing so much its a blood bath, literally. Astra blades, either SP or SS, cut far easier for me and more comfortably too.

I think the difference is in the coatings and the order they're applied. First shave with a GSB is horrible. My worst shave ever other than a Graham Field. The second shave improved, a great deal. The third shave improved again. I believe that from the top coating layer first flaking off on shave 1, then wearing off on shaves 2 and 3. They might be the best blade in the world by shave 4, but I'll never know lol.

I've had a similar experience with Voskhod. Shave one is great. Shave 2 is a bit harsh. Shave 3 is quite harsh. By shave 4 though I'm back to the very smooth shave of the first shave. I read somewhere that Voskhod are very popular in Russia and that many that use them when they first unwrap a blade, slice up a sheet of paper to remove the top coating so it doesnt flake and become harsh. They use them for many shaves after that.

Top Bottom