What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) - A Review

There is a lot on that site. You have to narrow down what you want me to look at.

The EXACT page I linked. Scroll down and read what the VP of Gillette R&D for over forty years said. That is what historians call a primary source, i.e., from the "horse's mouth". He tells you the answer discovered through years of lab research by trained scientists.

The EXACT page I linked. Scroll down and read what the VP of Gillette R&D for over forty years said. That is what historians call a primary source, i.e., from the "horse's mouth". He tells you the answer discovered through years of lab research by trained scientists.
Too hard for some.

"After discovering in his test lab that shavers could not tell the difference in blade sharpness, he was responsible for break-thru research that determined that blade sharpness was not a critical factor in receiving a good shave; rather a reduction in drag by hair clinging to the blade causing pulling was needed. This Drag Theory lead to the development of coated razor blades and specifically the Organosiloxane Gel coated Super Blue Blade (1959)."

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
"After discovering in his test lab that shavers could not tell the difference in blade sharpness, he was responsible for break-thru research that determined that blade sharpness was not a critical factor in receiving a good shave; rather a reduction in drag by hair clinging to the blade causing pulling was needed. This Drag Theory lead to the development of coated razor blades and specifically the Organosiloxane Gel coated Super Blue Blade (1959)."

"The Drag Theory".

Now I have a name for what I've been saying all along.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

breaking_bad_walter_white_jesse_pinkman_82440_1024x1024.jpg

He might understand all of that but I sure dont lol. Page 4 is interesting though.

View attachment 951872

He might understand all of that but I sure dont lol. Page 4 is interesting though.
Good stuff

"it is believed that the reduced pull in shaving results mainly from a shearing of the organosilicon-containing polymer during cutting. The total force required to cut hair involves at least two components. One is the force needed to push the ultimate cutting edge through the hair, and the other is the force needed to overcome the friction caused by the pinching and adhesion of partially severed hair on the flanks of the wedge-shaped cutting edge. The latter is believed to be the major component of the total force required to sever the hair. For example, in the case of an axe cutting into the side of a tree, the pinching friction on the flanks of the cutting edge becomes so great that the axe stops before it penetrates far into the Wood. Heretofore, many efforts to improve shaving have been directed to perfecting the cutting edge and to softening the hairs to be cut. Shaving soaps and creams, until applied long enough to soften the heard by wetting it, have little effect in reducing the total force needed to sever hair. The present invention is believed to reduce that force in a novel manner by interposing between the blade and the hair a material which adheres firmly to the flanks of the cutting edge throughout the shaving, but easily shears either within itself or at its interface with the hair. "

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Good stuff

"it is believed that the reduced pull in shaving results mainly from a shearing of the organosilicon-containing polymer during cutting. The total force required to cut hair involves at least two components. One is the force needed to push the ultimate cutting edge through the hair, and the other is the force needed to overcome the friction caused by the pinching and adhesion of partially severed hair on the flanks of the wedge-shaped cutting edge. The latter is believed to be the major component of the total force required to sever the hair. For example, in the case of an axe cutting into the side of a tree, the pinching friction on the flanks of the cutting edge becomes so great that the axe stops before it penetrates far into the Wood. Heretofore, many efforts to improve shaving have been directed to perfecting the cutting edge and to softening the hairs to be cut. Shaving soaps and creams, until applied long enough to soften the heard by wetting it, have little effect in reducing the total force needed to sever hair. The present invention is believed to reduce that force in a novel manner by interposing between the blade and the hair a material which adheres firmly to the flanks of the cutting edge throughout the shaving, but easily shears either within itself or at its interface with the hair. "

A perfectly scientific explanation of how and why a blade should, and/or may not, slip easily through the hairs composition as it encounters the resistance from it.

This is why I've always said, if you feel tugging, try a different blade. Sharpness is secondary to matching the blades coatings to ones hair type and composition.

In the vacuum of the laboratory these principals are most likely true, but surely the lubricating properties of shaving soap on the blade edge itself would bear some consideration. For instance, I can use a Treet Black Beauty which has no coating I'm aware of with a good lather, and get no tugging whatsoever. I'm sure coatings have benefit, and I own many brands that have it, but even those can be negatively affected by a poor lather. These are just opinions of mine, and I don't play a scientist on TV.

In the vacuum of the laboratory these principals are most likely true, but surely the lubricating properties of shaving soap on the blade edge itself would bear some consideration...

Of course the prep is very important. You wouldn't test drive a Ferrari on a gravel road, would you? :wink:

Refinedshave dot com analyzes the sharpness profiles

I've found the testing to provide decent guidance.

I half wish I hadn't come across that site.
On the one hand, I tried a bunch of blades based on the sharpness ratings generated there, and found them to be less than helpful in determining which blades ultimately worked for me.
On the other hand, if I'm ever in a situation in which I need to choose a razor blade for the dual purposes of severing efficiently a string at a 90° angle and shaving another man's beard, I'll know just where to go!
(Jesting aside, I'm glad some folks find these experiments useful.)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
On the other hand, if I'm ever in a situation in which I need to choose a razor blade for the dual purposes of severing efficiently a string at a 90° angle and shaving another man's beard, I'll know just where to go!

Cold Steel has you covered! lol

I used these blades for the fourth time yesterday. They seemed to me very good and sharp and smooth. But they fall quickly lose their sharpness. My beard begins to experience very strong and not comfortable resistance. I shave in a day or two with a Feather Popular razor. Sincerely, Eugene.

I reckon I'd be unable to tell the difference between 7 o'clock blacks, Personna lab blues & Polsilver if blind testing in the same razor.
All work really well for me. Sharp & smooth.

I used these blades for the fourth time yesterday. They seemed to me very good and sharp and smooth. But they fall quickly lose their sharpness. My beard begins to experience very strong and not comfortable resistance. I shave in a day or two with a Feather Popular razor. Sincerely, Eugene.

Do try the Gillette Platinum, I find it to be a fantastic blade and superior in performance and longevity.

I reckon I'd be unable to tell the difference between 7 o'clock blacks, Personna lab blues & Polsilver if blind testing in the same razor.
All work really well for me. Sharp & smooth.

I hear ya there! Once you have a solid technique, a decent shave can be had with most modern made blades.

I won a pif of about 40 of these blades.
Worked a treat in my Super Speed.
Sharp, smooth, no tugging and lasted the longest of any blade I’ve tried so far.

I just recently revisited these after not using one for probably 4 years. I'm loving the shaves from them. It's incredibly smooth with no tugging at all, a very close shave, and no nicks or burn. I had essentially written them off, but I think that my technique has improved over the years and now I might be buying a box of 100.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
All these new posts made me load a fresh Black in a new to me cased Slim a friend gave me over the summer. I havent used a Gillette Black since, I dont know when, maybe since I made this thread.

Slim, fresh Gillette Black.

PdP 63.

Maggard synthetic.

About 80 hours since my last shave.

First pass N>S. Second pass S>N. Third pass ATG, all done on setting 7. One clean up done on 9.

Very slight tugging N>S on my neck, but at 80 hours growth thats no surprise and I do mean slight too. No buffing. Long smooth strokes. Very smooth with little blade feel. I had forgotten just how nice PdP really is. An excellent soap.

Second pass S>N. I was really surprised by how invisible the blade felt. Very smooth again with no tugging anywhere. Light buffing ATG under my chin, sides of my mouth and face of my chin.

Third pass ATG, stroking towards my chin along my jawline and lower on my neck over my swirls. Very smooth again, slight tugging over my swirls but barely noticeable.

Clean up ATG on 9. Only buffing over my left side jawline, a difficult to BBS area for me, but no issues.

I finished with a very nice BBS shave. I did have slight redness over my swirls from the gap but that that didnt last long.

All in, an excellent shave from a great razor, blade and soap.

Thanks for reminding me!

Edit to add: The entire shave was done at a neutral angle!

Good time of day. Seeing this topic, I again wanted to return to these blades. My shave today is Fatip Piccolo SE with Gentile plate and Gillette 7O'CLOCK Super Platinum. Fantastic shave. Probably these blades are at the very top, among those that I used. Rubies take an honorable second place. Have a good shave. Regards, Eugene.

Top Bottom